Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2016, 02:25 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
What is this valve ?

I have a 2000 Excella 30' split bath and there is a valve under my water heater I know it is for cold water but what is it for ? I'll try to add a photo if I can
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7238.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	273928  
woodfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 02:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
That looks like the valve in my trailer that I figured out bypasses the check valve that feeds the outside water outlet. I think that is what is behind the valve in your picture. I can't figure out why they would put that in, but it is plumbed from one side of the check valve to the other. Maybe it is used to put air pressure into the trailer for winterizing.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 03:03 PM   #3
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Is it closed?....If so, open it and see if water drains out a hose under your trailer....Mine has one close to the water heater that is used to drain the cold water side of the bathroom plumbing when winterizing.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 03:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
I have a very different trailer (2013 25FB Flying Cloud) with a similar valve. On my trailer, the valve is a low point drain. On the "downstream" side of the valve, there is an elbow that connects to a pipe that goes down through the compartment floor and out through the belly pan.

On my trailer, when I open the valve, and also open the water heater pressure relief valve, the water heater tank drains through the valve and onto the ground. It drains the tank so well that if I pull the tank drain plug afterwards, no water comes out.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 03:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
That looks like the valve in my trailer that I figured out bypasses the check valve that feeds the outside water outlet. I think that is what is behind the valve in your picture. I can't figure out why they would put that in, but it is plumbed from one side of the check valve to the other. Maybe it is used to put air pressure into the trailer for winterizing.

Al
I looked at the plumbing diagrams in my 2002 Classic manual. The one for the 30' has the valve on it, but it just shuts off the outside water faucet. On the diagram for the 31' trailer, the valve is plumbed like my trailer and your picture, i.e. to bypass the check valve.

The city water inlet is connected directly to the outside water faucet and then on to the trailer indoor plumbing through the check valve.

I think I figured out what the valve is for. When it is closed, the check valve operates and water can only flow in from the city inlet to the trailer. The outside water faucet is connected to the city water inlet and can be used for rinsing items such as chairs, feet, etc. or it can be used to "daisy chain" water to another trailer.

When the valve is open, the check valve is bypassed and the trailer cold water line is connected through the valve to the outside faucet and therefore the faucet will work when no city water is connected by pulling water from the tank and pump. But this will only work when the cap is placed on the city water inlet, otherwise the pump will empty the tank out the inlet fitting. I added a 45-degree extension to my water inlet to avoid kinking the hose and the cap will not reach. So I have to keep the valve you pictured closed until I can figure out how to close off the water inlet.

So the valve could be thought of as a "boondocking" valve. I have no idea if this was the intent of the design, just that the scenario I described appears to hold water (pun intended).

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 05:12 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
It is a check valve and shut off. When on tank water and the valve is closed, a drained outside spigot will not have tank water, under pump pressure, to it and freeze

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 05:22 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
Thanks for the replies I found it in my manual and it says it is for the outside water outlet . I guess I'll find out for sure when I winterize my trailer in a couple of days as I'm waiting on a new flush valve for my toilet that started to leak when I was blowing out the water lines the other day . Just bought this trailer in April and it's first time for me winterizing it . As it has more valves and hoses that my 85 Sovereign had.
Les
woodfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 07:10 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Stowe , Vermont
I would check carefully at this. On my 2014 FC I have a valve in the same place, and it is used as a low point drain for the hot water heater. 1. Relieve the pressure on the hot water tank on the outside of the trailer. Make sure that the water has cooled for a couple days first. 2. Remove the plug on the hot water tank (also on the outside of the trailer). 3. Turn water heater bypass valve to bypass position. The handle should be perpendicular. to the pipe. 3. This keeps fresh water from entering the heater tank. 4. Open that low point hot water heater drain valve - this one should now be parallel to the pipe. 5. Once all the water has drained, close this valve before adding your antifreeze, or your antifreeze will just fall to the ground. Again... this is the way my 2014 works and it may be different for you. Good luck.
VT Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 07:06 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I am very familiar with his setup. It is identical to mine. I suppose one could call the outside spigot a low point drain....and I use it as such, but it is a sill cock just like the one at the stick house. I use it for an outside shower as well.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 12:27 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Atlantic Beach , Florida
2000 Excell

a side question where is the 115V electrical panel located on this 2000 Excella 30 foot
Mike49Mitzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 12:28 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Atlantic Beach , Florida
A side question where is the 115 V breaker panel located on the 2000 Excella
Mike49Mitzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 12:31 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
Mine is in the overhead locker above the bed . Ours is a queen bed