Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-17-2014, 07:34 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
North Pole , Alaska
Question Well water in fresh water tank

My well water is not treated with bleach/chlorine at any point in the system. It is softened and has another treatment to remove high levels of iron. I will be using this to fill my fresh water tank.

Any idea if I need to add chlorine to the fresh water tank, in an amount safe for human consumption, to keep the water viable for 2 to 3 weeks between fills? Or, can the water in the tank go that long as long as it is sanitized between fills?

Thanks!
WisePharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:09 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by WisePharm View Post
Any idea if I need to add chlorine to the fresh water tank, in an amount safe for human consumption, to keep the water viable for 2 to 3 weeks between fills? Or, can the water in the tank go that long as long as it is sanitized between fills?
EPA primary drinking water standards limit the amount of chlorine in drinking water to be at or below 4 parts per million. Problem is, as long as the tank is vented, chlorine will evaporate out of the water in about 24 hours. So there is no way to end up with even 1 part per million two or three weeks later, unless you started with a dangerously high level.

Municipal water supplies add safe amounts of chlorine to kill microbes in the drinking water, but that's with the inherent assumption that the water will be consumed the same day it's treated, not weeks later.

If you want to be sure you're drinking safe water, first chlorine-treat your freshwater system as per the instructions in your owner's manual. Then filter the well water before it enters your tank, using a Granular Activated Carbon (GAC) filter on your inlet hose. Then filter the water again through another GAC filter when you dispense it from your faucet (such as a Britta faucet-mount filter if you don't have an under-sink model), to get rid of any organic contaminants that may have accumulated while the unit was stored.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:22 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
If you drink your well water while at home it must be safe enough for your family. So, are you asking how long the water would remain safe in the tank in your Airstream? If you water is high in sulfur then an odor could develop in a closed tank over time. I doubt that even this would make the water "unsafe".

I would follow protagonist's advice and filter the water going into the tank. If you are still not sure, purchase enough bottle water to see you through your trip. It sounds like you have a good opportunity for a meaningful experiment before you.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:39 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We use our home well water to fill the tank before we leave home. But we never drink any water out of the Airstream tank, it's just for bathing, washing as needed. The idea of using a big plastic tank that is sitting year after year, being filled from various sources, and no way to actually clean it beyond liquid bleach is one I don't trust. We keep a few gallon water bottles handy for refilling and drinking as we travel.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:50 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
We fill our tank with untreated but filtered well water here. However, we have had the water tested, and it is very good with no contaminants. I do treat the tank annually with bleach, and then drain it. Our trailer is also equipped with a filter at the sink for drinking, and we do drink from that filter. Been doing it that way for many years, and no problems to date except it makes me older, fatter, and more contankerous.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:04 AM   #6
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by WisePharm View Post
My well water is not treated with bleach/chlorine at any point in the system. It is softened and has another treatment to remove high levels of iron. I will be using this to fill my fresh water tank.

Thanks!
When I first got my Airstream, I had well water. Like you, I filled using water from a tap connected past the particulate filter and water softener.

I chlorinated by adding 1 mL of household bleach per gallon of water. Vintage Trailer Supply sells a veterinary syringe (without a needle) for applying Vulkem that I found to be quite useful for measuring and adding the bleach. The moderate amount of chlorine protects against any contamination that might occur in open components of the system while filling.

I also add bleach when circumstances require hand carrying and loading of water while boondocking.

In recent days I've had a municipal water supply available. Since the water is already chlorinated by the city, I do not add more.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:13 AM   #7
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
EPA primary drinking water standards limit the amount of chlorine in drinking water to be at or below 4 parts per million. Problem is, as long as the tank is vented, chlorine will evaporate out of the water in about 24 hours. So there is no way to end up with even 1 part per million two or three weeks later, unless you started with a dangerously high level.
The rate at which the chlorine will dissipate depends on many variables, among them the form in which the chlorine is added, the temperature, whether sunlight passes through the water, and the pH. Moreover, the greatest risk of contamination is at the time of loading, when pathogens may be present on the faucet or hose.

Quote:
Municipal water supplies add safe amounts of chlorine to kill microbes in the drinking water, but that's with the inherent assumption that the water will be consumed the same day it's treated, not weeks later.
Municipal systems vary however the treatment plan for most of them presumes up to 7 days between chlorination and use. Houses at the end of unusually long or large-diameter water mains will get water at least this old.

Quote:
If you want to be sure you're drinking safe water, first chlorine-treat your freshwater system as per the instructions in your owner's manual. Then filter the well water before it enters your tank, using a Granular Activated Carbon (GAC) filter on your inlet hose. Then filter the water again through another GAC filter when you dispense it from your faucet (such as a Britta faucet-mount filter if you don't have an under-sink model), to get rid of any organic contaminants that may have accumulated while the unit was stored.
There are many aspects of water safety and quality however none of these measures will deal with pathogens. Some filters (including the Moen filter on some late model Airstreams) are fine enough to remove giardia cysts and other large pathogens that are relatively resistant to chlorine, but no filter will remove bacteria.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:17 AM   #8
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
If you drink your well water while at home it must be safe enough for your family. So, are you asking how long the water would remain safe in the tank in your Airstream? If you water is high in sulfur then an odor could develop in a closed tank over time. I doubt that even this would make the water "unsafe".
The passage of time will not make water unsafe.

However, there is a very real possibility of contamination during loading.

Quote:
I would follow protagonist's advice and filter the water going into the tank. If you are still not sure, purchase enough bottle water to see you through your trip. It sounds like you have a good opportunity for a meaningful experiment before you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
We use our home well water to fill the tank before we leave home. But we never drink any water out of the Airstream tank, it's just for bathing, washing as needed. The idea of using a big plastic tank that is sitting year after year, being filled from various sources, and no way to actually clean it beyond liquid bleach is one I don't trust. We keep a few gallon water bottles handy for refilling and drinking as we travel.
The incidental consumption of water while showering, preparing foods eaten raw, or rinsing dishes is as much a risk as drinking.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:26 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
The passage of time will not make water unsafe.

However, there is a very real possibility of contamination during loading.

The incidental consumption of water while showering, preparing foods eaten raw, or rinsing dishes is as much a risk as drinking.
So, wouldn't this "possibility of contamination during loading" apply to all water sources. Everyone is therefore at risk and the threat is enhanced because even showing in it can produce the same results. Is that what you are saying? What is the solution here?
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:32 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
So, wouldn't this "possibility of contamination during loading" apply to all water sources. Everyone is therefore at risk and the threat is enhanced because even showing in it can produce the same results. Is that what you are saying? What is the solution here?

Live inside a plastic bubble.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:52 AM   #11
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Born and raised on a mixed farm that was served from a hand dug well approx. 30' deep. There was no treatment, filters, or other attempt to alter water quality in any way. The same hose that filled the barn milk cooler, watered the calf, and horse trough, and all other barn duties, was the same hose we washed and drank from while in and around the barn. Don't think it affected me other than the above mentioned, old, stiff, body contour drop, and less hair, syndrome.

We do use bottled water in the Clipper for drinking and do the fresh water tank sanitize when preparing for the travel season.

Dave
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:28 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Live inside a plastic bubble.
I'm with you! There is more "scary contamination" from the used sponge &/or dish rag sitting next to your trailer's kitchen sink!

Well water is good enough for us at home, so it's good enough for us in the trailer. Of course, we do the typical cleaning of the tank with bleach at the beginning of the season, but that's about it.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:57 PM   #13
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
No. The point was that using bottled water for drinking doesn't materially reduce the risk.

Municipal and other large sources are chlorinated, a process that has saved more lives than antibiotics. If in doubt, travel to the large 3rd world city of your choice.

Small private wells rely on the system being closed, that is, their being no opportunity for any pathogen-bearing contaminants (soil, airborne dust, insects) to enter the water supply before it is used. Done properly and on a small scale, it works.

When you load water into the tanks of an Airstream, the faucet that the hose is connected to, the hose(s), and the hose ends are susceptible to contamination with pathogens. If you use containers and a funnel then those add to the possibilities of contamination. If you're sure of the cleanliness of all these things, great. I am not always sure and adding a moderate amount of chlorine seems simple, inexpensive, and prudent.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:45 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Contamination

...and as I drove in, I watched the neighbor's terrier use the water spigot as a substitute for the usual fireplug. (Bleach spray the threads, then run some water onto the ground before hooking up your white hose.)

I use bottled water to drink. Not because I'm afraid of germs but because there is high iron content in many campground wells. Bottled water makes better tasting coffee too. Being in a hot humid climate, I put substantial charge of bleach into my tank about 4-6 times a year (full timer). Found green algae growing in my water hose one time, and frequently get heavy iron deposits - so I just replace the hose 3-4 times a year.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:50 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
ottawa (greely) , Ontario
We use our well water just sanitize your tank in the spring as per your manual and if your worried about drinking water buy yourself a berkey water purifiers ,you can put water from a swamp ,puddle of water ,swimming pool ( not salt treated) any water source , I have one at home and must say it's the best water purifier we have ever used,it's used in disaster areas by UNICEF etc, the berkey filter purifier comes in lots of different size we have a travel model but it's too small for at home use,
2012 silverado ext cab 4x4 ,5.3 L , 6 speed trans,3:42 final drive,tow package standard box 6 1/2 foot . 2014 honda forza 300 scooter, #2 2015 honda crf 250 L (Dual sport)
scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:57 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
North Pole , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
adding a moderate amount of chlorine seems simple, inexpensive, and prudent.
This is very true. I certainly do not question the benefits of adding chlorine. I was hoping that periodic sanitizing would suffice but you also bring up good points about sources of potential contamination that I had not fully considered.

That being said, I went to FEMA's website to refresh my memory on the ratio of bleach (non-scented, etc) to water:

Quote:
Filling Water Containers
- Fill the bottle to the top with regular tap water. (If your water utility company treats your tap water with chlorine, you do not need to add anything else to the water to keep it clean.) If the water you are using comes from a well or water source that is not treated with chlorine, add two drops of non-scented liquid household chlorine bleach to each gallon of water.
- Tightly close the container using the original cap. Be careful not to contaminate the cap by touching the inside of it with your fingers. Write the date on the outside of the container so that you know when you filled it. Store in a cool, dark place.
- Replace the water every six months if not using commercially bottled water.
It bothers me that FEMA measures this in drops as the size of a drop depends on the dropper. What dropper did they use? Clorox's website states 2 drops per quart! However, Clorox also notes that 12 drops equals 1/8th of a teaspoon. I can extrapolate from that to get the proper amount needed. As Protagonist mentioned, the freshwater tank is vented, so what is added will inevitably dissipate but I will have to assume that the contact time is enough to kill most germs.

Taste matters too. I have an inline filter under the kitchen sink. May look into Brita as well. For now, I do carry drinking water separately.
WisePharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:26 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Jammer suggested "The incidental consumption of water while showering, preparing foods eaten raw, or rinsing dishes is as much a risk as drinking."

That makes sense but I know our family with little grandchildren swim in the lake almost daily in summer and we have never had a problem, but I think if we drank directly from the lake daily I think we might. At least we wouldn't try it.

I feel the same way about the water in our Airstream tank, so we don't drink it.

A factor in our own case is we fill the fresh water tank through our portable water softener, and we don't like the taste of softened water. Another reason we don't drink from the tank.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 05:25 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
ottawa (greely) , Ontario
To me it sounds like most people think well water is bad (taboo) but in most cases well water is better as it has it's own natural filter sand ,earth , (as Mother Nature intended)my well has 40 feet of sand plus another 140 feet of rock and earth and there are no drugs in my well like city water plants you say drugs yes how many people flush there expired drugs down the toilet or other things ,(it ends up in the water source eventually ),the water treatment plants cannot filter drugs from the water! And also when you go camping most campgrounds are on well water, and when people buy bottle water were does this water come from (From wells) also if you have Netflix watch some movies about bottle water this maybe will change your mine about bottle water ( not that it's bad for you ) ( it's bad for the environment and your pocket and in some cases the water is inferior then maybe your well or water source)go and buy a water purifier for drinking and cooking and take a shower with well water and if you get well water in your mouth so what your not going to die billions of people drink water from there wells daily, just sanitize your trailers fresh water tank at start of season and like others have said you can add bleach in proper quantity if your really unsure of water source, but remember bleach is not good for you ,if water source has something in it that's bad you don't want to add chemicals to fix the problem you want to remove the Bad things in the water (purify water) I have a berkey water filter for a year now and really like the purified water from it , check out you tube videos on it they come in many different sizes from a sport Berkey (water bottle size to a massive size )
2012 silverado ext cab 4x4 ,5.3 L , 6 speed trans,3:42 final drive,tow package standard box 6 1/2 foot . 2014 honda forza 300 scooter, #2 2015 honda crf 250 L (Dual sport)
scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:09 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Well water is not bad but since it might have a few bugs in it and the tank might have a few bugs in it and it sits for months at a time it is going to get growth of something in it. I would sanitize with bleach a few ounces per tank and let it sit and then rinse the tank then fill with well water. Driving around with the bleach in the tank will get it cleaner. It needs to be in there a few hours regardless. I would use a carbon filter to get the Chlorine residuals out of the water. You can get pool test strips to test the Chlorine content of the water. You can figure out mix ratios for bleach and water to get 3ppm Chlorine. Personally, I would not drink out of a tank that sits a lot. Folks that use their tank constantly keep it cleaned out by using it.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:33 AM   #20
BikerBill

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Poconos of Pa , Pennsylvania
In our prior Class A motorhome (last year sold it) we had a 160 gal water tank. We would not normally travel with more than ¼ tank due to weight, but we have well water. Once home I usually filled the tank full to the top and overflowing. That is how I kept it in the inside garage, full. When we were ready to travel I would drain out the water and refilled to the ¼ mark. Once a year I would do the chlorine sanitization of the plumbing system usually at the end of the winter before I traveled. We would only fill the tank at the last location with good water available prior to boondoocking. IE: Balloon Festival, FMCA Rally, filled at the last campground the day before we got there and of course dumped the waste tanks. We have never had a problem with well water sitting in our tank and that's for over 20 years of Class A motorhomes on well water.
Bikerbill is offline   Reply With Quote