Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-24-2014, 06:40 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Mantua , Ohio
Waterline fittings behind hot water tank

These lines come out just behind the existing (Appears to be factory) hot water tank.
I can't figure out why they are there, if they were for sure like that from the factory (which they appear to be) and what they could have been used for???
Can anyone shine a little light on the subject for me? Hoping to have that hot water tank out today and want the existing prepped for the new components to come. Basically, if I won't be using these connections, I want them totally removed, not just plugged..
THANKS in advance...
Oh, it's on my 61' Ambassador.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1182.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	224.0 KB
ID:	225014  
Studioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 06:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
All water heaters should have an overpressure relief valve. That usually has a drain attached so the water goes overboard if the valve should open.

Could that be what your pics show?
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 06:51 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Are you talking about the low point plumbing drains and propane lines that are extended below the belly pan?
Old 10-24-2014, 07:18 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Mantua , Ohio
Over flow

No, the over-flow in in front of the tank and a small rubber/plastic line. Let me confirm where each line is coming from before I reply fully... A few meetings, then I'm on the Airstream project for the rest of the day.
THANKS!!!
Old 10-25-2014, 04:54 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Mantua , Ohio
The "Overflow" was the rubber hose in front of the Hotwater tank.
The 3 fittings you see, 2 are cold, one is hot. What in the world are they doing there? Is it for outside water? Is this factory? Could one of the colds (The one directly to the main cold line) be for city hookup, but missing the residential hose connection? But there is no check valve on any of the lines.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts on what these lines were used for and if they were factory or not (Which they do appear to be factory, or very professionally done).
THANKS again!
Old 10-25-2014, 06:01 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
As Alan said, they may be low point drains for winterizing. Is there a valve in the line?

Your city water hookup should be higher. Ours was originally inside the rear compartment of the trailer and didn't show on the outside at all.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 12:08 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Mantua , Ohio
No valves Mimi. Just those fittings you can see in the pic. Drains would have some type of valves I would think..
And I STILL haven't found the "City hookup".
It would be GREAT if someone with a 61' in factory setup read this thread. They would have the answer instantly.
:-)
Old 10-26-2014, 06:54 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hi Studioman, Say, I'll bet you will get an answer from the vintage Ambassador enthusiasts by starting a thread in the Airstream Knowledgebase, then trailers, then 61 Ambassador. Folks owning and working on that vintage Airstream model typically follow that forum.

I saw your thread title and thought you wanted to know what was behind your water heater, not the mysterious plumbing projecting from the belly wrap underneath your trailer. Maybe a good thread title might be "61 Ambassador - What Is This?" and then post your picture. Curiosity gets folks looking. You could even offer a prize! Say a bag of rivets!

I am confident the vintage Ambassador owners will know exactly what those tubes used to do. I assume they are copper. The one with the 90 deg fitting on it looks like an old propane line. A plastic line might be an air conditioner condensate drain or a fridge condensate drain. If the lines are close to the fresh water tank, then maybe it is a fresh water tank drain.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote