Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2006, 08:13 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Collettsville , North Carolina
Water valve help

Hello all,
I had a check valve to go bad so I took out all my inlet water parts on my 1979 Argosy. I removed the inlet, the water pressure valve, the check valve and all the old copper pipe all the way to the pex line. I need to know what kind of water regulator I should put back in the coach. Most I have found in the camping mags are the small in-line water regulators. The regulator I took out was the house type with the pressure adjuster nut on the top. The smaller in-line regulator would be easier to install in the space but, would it work as well as the larger house type adjuster model? What do you folks suggest? Also I would appreciate your tips for re-installing all this stuff.
Thanks,
mtnman
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 08:21 AM   #2
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnman
Hello all,
I had a check valve to go bad so I took out all my inlet water parts on my 1979 Argosy. I removed the inlet, the water pressure valve, the check valve and all the old copper pipe all the way to the pex line. I need to know what kind of water regulator I should put back in the coach. Most I have found in the camping mags are the small in-line water regulators. The regulator I took out was the house type with the pressure adjuster nut on the top. The smaller in-line regulator would be easier to install in the space but, would it work as well as the larger house type adjuster model? What do you folks suggest? Also I would appreciate your tips for re-installing all this stuff.
Thanks,
mtnman
Can you put the original one back in? Is it bad?
You might have to go to an RV speciaty store other than camping world to find a suitable new regulator. I found one on e-bay a few years ago and bought it for my Overlander project, but have not seen one for sale since.
Old 04-08-2006, 10:58 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
uwe,
I never looked at the old adjustable pressure valve real close, I just assumed it needed to be replaced along with the worn out check valve. I figured the old pressure valve that came in the coach could be easily replaced with one of equal or better service from HD or lowes. Am I wrong in thinking this? What would be the difference in a new one?
mtnman
Old 04-08-2006, 12:42 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
How do I check my old regulator?
mtnman
Old 04-08-2006, 03:31 PM   #5
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
uwe,
I never looked at the old adjustable pressure valve real close, I just assumed it needed to be replaced along with the worn out check valve. I figured the old pressure valve that came in the coach could be easily replaced with one of equal or better service from HD or lowes. Am I wrong in thinking this? What would be the difference in a new one?
mtnman
Well size, for one thing. The home style pressure regulators are huge, and are designed for a whole house system. RV pressure regulators are much smaller, designed for smaller input and output threads, so that a sensible installation is easy to do. There might be a flow and volume mismatch from one to the other, but I am not an expert at that.
You do not really need an internal regulator as long as you always use one at the hookup tap outside the trailer.
City water inlets often have the check valve built in. The overpressure valve can be eliminated if it drips with normally regulated water pressure.
Old 04-08-2006, 03:32 PM   #6
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
How do I check my old regulator?
mtnman
Mock up a hose hookup, and connect it to high pressure, and watch what happens at the output.
Old 04-08-2006, 05:03 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
Mock up a hose hookup, and connect it to high pressure, and watch what happens at the output.
OK, I will try that tomorrow.
mtnman
Old 04-08-2006, 08:31 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
the way to do it is to put a pressure gage on each side of the regulator. This way you can see the difference in pressure. Most of the in-line regulators are preset at 40 psig. Putting a higher pressure on the inlet side and watching the outlet is a pratical way of doing the same job only problem is you may be watching a drop in flow not a drop in pressure.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 09:16 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
If you use an in-line regulator at the start of the hose connection at the supply spigot you will not need any other regulator. They come factory set at 40-50 psi, or you can buy an adjustable one. This way, you save your hose AND the coach plumbing from excessive pressure.

You might also check into the newer high flow types that give you more volume at the set pressure.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 09:27 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
40-50 psi would be a plenty for us.
mtnman
Old 04-09-2006, 04:52 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
OK, it looks like my regulator is fine. I have decided to keep it. The only thing I need to buy is a compression coupler to adapt the PVC to the pex. Store is 20 miles out of the mountains so it may be a couple of days. Every thing else looks good and is all glued together and ready to go into the coach.
mtnman
Old 04-12-2006, 05:27 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
what is this?

Look at this picture and tell me what the valve in the lower right corner next to the heating duct is for?
mtnman
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2006, 06:25 AM   #13
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
That's an pressure relief valve. It pops open when the water pressure somehow exceeds a certain value, and releases the pressure through a hose through the floor of the trailer to the outside.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:41 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
I thought that it may be that but was not sure, it looks a lot like a water heater pressure valve. I am not going to put that back in the coach, it was leaking.

I need to know how to turn down the pressure on the water regulator. Do you loosen the lock nut and then turn the valve screw in/right/clockwise or do you loosen the lock nut and turn the valve screw out/left/counterclockwise?
Thanks
mtnman
Old 04-12-2006, 01:31 PM   #15
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
I thought that it may be that but was not sure, it looks a lot like a water heater pressure valve. I am not going to put that back in the coach, it was leaking.
well...that's what it is supposed to do...IF there's too much pressure somewhere. might be functioning normally. or it could be broken. just leaving the system pressurized, with the hot water heater on, and not opening a tap for some time (like you might do if you were to turn on the water heater while the rig is in your back yard, and then forget to turn it off, and it sits there running for days or weeks) could cause enough pressure to build in the lines, and trigger this device.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 05:05 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
well...that's what it is supposed to do...IF there's too much pressure somewhere. might be functioning normally. or it could be broken. just leaving the system pressurized, with the hot water heater on, and not opening a tap for some time (like you might do if you were to turn on the water heater while the rig is in your back yard, and then forget to turn it off, and it sits there running for days or weeks) could cause enough pressure to build in the lines, and trigger this device.
It was leaking out water from the 12 volt pump pressure. The 12 volt pump was kicking off and on is how I found out it was bad.

I still need to know how to adjust that water regulator?
mtnman
Old 04-12-2006, 05:25 PM   #17
Frank S

1973 27' Overlander
peoria , Illinois
Hi mtman--Toss out the old pressure regulator. You will eliminate a lot of potential problems. Go to WalMart and buy a Marshall regulator for $8. in their RV section. Install it on your city water supply, connect one end of your hose to the regulator, and the other end to your trailer.--Frank S
Frank S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 05:30 PM   #18
Frank S

1973 27' Overlander
peoria , Illinois
Hi mtman--Forgot to mention the Marshall regulator is preset for about 45psi, which is exactly what your Argosy needs.--Frank S
Frank S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 05:31 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Frank,
I just re-installed the old one, it works fine. I also have a small hose type Marshall regulator if I need it though.
mtnman