Old 08-20-2005, 10:26 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Found out the hard way- don't pre-filter!

Unless you intend to load your water tank with chlorine and rinse it after each use-the non chlorinated water will sit and start to grow bacteria, fungus, germs. Chlorine is what the water systems are supposed to add to acheive the levels required by the Safe Water Drinking Act- which is really not safe in the long term, as chlorine basically work like a slow poison, by breathing, and ingesting not only through oral means, but when showering the skin is an absorbing organ.

It was suggested to me that we allow the chlorinated water into the tanks, and then clean it out when ready to use- i.e., with the RO, or carbon filter it sounds like you're using. You can mount it under the sink and have the tank protected and the water cleaned immediately before using.

Forget about de-ionizing or softening- costs over $700 for a GOOD working unit, and they're size is a factor. Good luck!

Old 08-20-2005, 11:04 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
Chlorine is what the water systems are supposed to add to acheive the levels required by the Safe Water Drinking Act- which is really not safe in the long term, as chlorine basically work like a slow poison, by breathing, and ingesting not only through oral means, but when showering the skin is an absorbing organ.
Its always nice to know we are dying like flies from chlorine exposure in our water! ;-)

I agree that RV fresh water tanks are not suitable for long term water storage (more than a week or so from most of what I can tell). I haven't found any reputable source that does suggest long term water storage in RV type tanks. Fresh water tanks should be maintained properly, flushed before each outing, and sanitized each season. (this is similar to what the water company does with its facilities)

If using _US Public Water Supplies_ there is usually sufficient residual disinfectant (not always chlorine) for typical RV fresh water supply tank safety given proper maintenance and use. Of course, filtering out the disinfectant out means you need to do something else to assure safe water storage in your tanks. The usual recommendation is to add a few drops of hypochlorite - and there we go with chlorine again.

Of course, you can subscribe to the conspiracy that public water systems are not doing what they are "supposed" to be doing, that the testing of public water systems is incompetent and corrupt, that safety standards are set so as to cause harm, and so on. You can also figure that WW I era mustard gas was chlorine based, so there!

But the simple fact of the matter is that people aren't dying en masse from drinking water. People aren't getting sick en masse from public water supplies. Even individually, illness from water sources is a rarity. And that is incredible considering what all you can see people doing with their drinking water! (e.g. fill the fresh water tank from a hose they just rinsed the waste tank dump hose with)

I wonder what the relative risk from an RV water supply is when compared to the risk of driving a mile in your RV. Or the risk of connecting your rig to park utilities' or the risk of severe burn from your BBQ' or of tripping on the step and breaking a hip' or from sun exposure. What a dangerous path we tread!

Old 08-20-2005, 11:09 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
filter for sand and sediments

We camped at a state park on Lake Michigan and the water had a lot of sand in it. As it settled we were quite aware of it. We don't want to have our holding tanks filled with sediment so we use a filter now. I always used to use the boiled water from the teakettle for drinking. We still carry water in the fridge, but with the Moen filter and microwave I have not had to boil water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandvm
I couldn't agree more! We live in an age where we're paranoid about everything we take in.........including water! I've never bought a bottle of water, don't have a filter attached to my water hose.....and don't intend to buy distilled water for my java. We've gone overboard in my opinion!
But each to there own!

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 04:30 PM   #18
Arr, we captain our ship!

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
We all insure ourselves and our properties against potential mishap.

I believe water filtration to be good insurance against potential risks in water supplies everywhere. The EPA admits that our public water supply's quality/safety is overrated. Why ruin a good vacation over something you can completely control and which costs so little to avoid?

U.S. Office of Inspector General report regarding EPA claims on water quality (PDF)

BTW, it is common practice (and outlined in your Airstream Owner's Manual) to disinfect your fresh water system periodically regardless of whether you filter or not.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:27 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Thanks for the link to the EPA report. It is rather interesting how it is represented, though. The report is an audit of the water quality reporting process and says nothing about US Public Water Supply quality in itself. It is a _data_ quality analysis and not a _water_ quality analysis! Its presence here shows just how careful one needs to be when citing government reports and also it shows just how much oversight and inspection there is in the management of water quality in US public supplies.

So far we have a water sources report and a water quality reporting data analysis report. Both show significant government attention to water quality issues but neither gets into water quality standards and how they are established, risks involved in those standards, the nature of any pulbic health concerns in public water quality and other factors that should be of interest to those concerned about tap water safety.

This underscores the need for very careful consideration of information you get about public water safety issues. The manner of citation of these reports in this discussion is one reason that I think the FUD mongering is a significant concern. People need better information properly assessed in context for effective risk management decisions.

If you do a search on drinking water filtration, you will get all sorts of doom and gloom advertising. Very little of this is doing more than trying to sell equipment. Then there are the activists like those who have a problem with flouridation or those who object to various methods of disinfecting water supplies or those with other agendas.

By looking at the information in this thread and the citations and references offered, you can learn a few things about water.

1) water out in the wild can have a lot of things in it. These include things that are disolved and things that are carried along. These are things that water leaches from the ground it is in and the air it exposed to and things that were added to it. That's why we have public water systems to treat the water and remove the hazardous stuff down to safe levels.

2) We can measure incredibly small amounts of things in water.

3) There are standards for public water systems in the US that are usually enforced by states and audited by the EPA and other organizations. These standards are carefully considered in terms of public health safety and expressed as mandatory standards, recommended standards, and ideal goals. (You can get a report for your local water system showing how it is doing with water quality if they don't just send it to you in your bill).

4) There are a lot of folks who don't agree with governmental standards settings bodies. There are also a lot of folks who don't trust government and worry about things.

5) Effective filtration for both disolved and suspended 'pollutants' is not easy and takes a lot of equipment, careful maintenance, and significant resources.

6) people like some stuff in water because it makes it taste good.

7) Safe water depends upon safe practice. You need to put your emphasis on those things in your control such as your RV fresh water system, your choice of sources for water, and your sanitary practices in the maintenance and management of your systems.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:21 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

I'll drink to that

.... Perrier only, please.
Iver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 06:57 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
I only drink Guinness when camping. However, sometimes I do sterilize it with Absolute Mandarin on the rocks.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 10:13 PM   #22
Arr, we captain our ship!

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Mr. Leipper, you're right.

Thank you for straightening me out on this topic.