Old 09-18-2011, 12:16 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
Port Angeles , Washington
Water tank-weep holes-mystery leak(s).

Problem: water leaks from drip holes ("weep holes") at the bottom of the freshwater tank cover.

Background: Last fall we hadn't as yet winterized the trailer when we were surprised with a cold snap of 28*. I was sick, so my wife quickly did what she could.

Just before vacation this year, we discovered that the water pump housing had cracked and the outflow hose was ruptured. I replaced that pump and hose. We were fortunate in that we discovered the leaks before any related water damage had occurred.

Having made the repairs and checking the water system, we took off for vacation.

A few days into vacation, we noticed water dripping from around a thread-less 3/8' hole at the bottom of the tank.....or what I had thought was the tank.

I called my dealer and they had no idea what should be in that hole and suggested that I find a brass plug to screw into it to stop the water from leaking. I wasn't satisfied with the answer so I called another dealer and was told that they too didn't have a clue.

I finally called Airstream.... THEY WERE GREAT!! I was then informed that what I was looking at was a plastic cover for the tank and that the holes were "weep holes". By now I had discovered that there were 3 (in-line) weep holes that were dripping water.

I was guided to check the "lockers" to look for any leaks from hoses or fittings into the tank.

I flat can't find ANY sign of leaks within the trailer. I double checked under the closet in the water pump area... no leaks were found. I have checked all accessible areas and not found any evidence of any leaks..... thank God.

We finished our vacation and are now at home.

Other than removing the tank cover and dropping the water tank, I am at a loss as to what to do next.

ANY ideas and or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Dan

Old 09-18-2011, 12:48 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
I had left a few things out of my first post.

After discovering the first hole leaking, I fashioned a temporary plug. This hole is located closest to the water fill and water pump side of the tank bottom. After plugging the first hole, a second hole revealed itself. I plugged the second hole at mid tank and a third began leaking. This progression seems to me to suggest that the origin of the leak is on the fill side (street side) of the trailer.....moving along as each hole was plugged.

Perhaps important is that the water is simply dripping, steadily, but dripping.

Now that we are home and not fighting to get from one reserved campsite to another, I will take more time in studying the problem. I will also fill the tank and place water catches under the holes to try to estimate the amount of water that leaks out and the approximate water level in the water tank when/if the water stops leaking.

Yesterday, we cleaned out the trailer and we are pleased that there is still no evidence of ANY leaking within the trailer.

Old 09-18-2011, 01:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Gator, I can't help with your water problems except to say that 28* should not cause problems. Things should be insulated enough to withstand that. Below 28*, then you would want to take action. John
WBCCI #3892
Region 3 , 1st VP

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight he will just kill you........a wise old man.
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 01:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
I think removal of the tank is the only option at this point. Then you will be able to see where it is leaking and either fix it or replace it.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:19 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
In the worst way I do not want to have to lower/remove the water tank, so if anyone has any other ideas... PLEASE pass them on.

Where does the air-conditioner/heat-pump drain?

Is it normal for weeping to drain under the trailer, kinda like you get from the air-conditioning on a car?

Could it be that I could have a roof leak that is somehow traveling to the tank cover?

WILL BUYING THE PARTS MANUAL give me enough detail that I might at least know the location of any connected fittings on the tank??????

I had parked the trailer on a lawn for easy unpacking. I intend to move it to a more level area and park it on planks where I can do a few experiments and if necessary--drop the tank. However, I won't be able to do that until next week because the darn jack quit and I am waiting on parts. grrrrr

I know that I am reaching, but like I said... I am very worried about dropping the tank.

I have checked again and again and I have yet to find ANY evidence of leaking within the trailer or any of the compartments.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:32 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Why are you so worried about dropping the water tank? It is not such a big deal. I think that regardless of the cause, you need to drop the tank to see where the leak is coming from.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator113 View Post
In the worst way I do not want to have to lower/remove the water tank, so if anyone has any other ideas... PLEASE pass them on.

Where does the air-conditioner/heat-pump drain?

Is it normal for weeping to drain under the trailer, kinda like you get from the air-conditioning on a car?

Could it be that I could have a roof leak that is somehow traveling to the tank cover?

WILL BUYING THE PARTS MANUAL give me enough detail that I might at least know the location of any connected fittings on the tank??????

I had parked the trailer on a lawn for easy unpacking. I intend to move it to a more level area and park it on planks where I can do a few experiments and if necessary--drop the tank. However, I won't be able to do that until next week because the darn jack quit and I am waiting on parts. grrrrr

I know that I am reaching, but like I said... I am very worried about dropping the tank.

I have checked again and again and I have yet to find ANY evidence of leaking within the trailer or any of the compartments.
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:22 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot View Post
Why are you so worried about dropping the water tank? It is not such a big deal. I think that regardless of the cause, you need to drop the tank to see where the leak is coming from.

Bill
It's beginning to become apparent that dropping the tank is required.... so I'll do it.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:33 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator113
...Where does the air-conditioner/heat-pump drain?....
On my 08 27FB, the A/C drain line exits forward of the front wheel in the street side wheel well. The heat pump condensation drains off the roof. The fridge condensation line should come down to the bottom edge of the slotted fridge access door.

I agree that an overnight at 28 degrees should not damage a tank. The nylon drain valve might be suspect, but you should see the leak at the valve.

If you only see the leak when running the A/C, the internal drain line may be disconnected topside. If only when running the heat pump, then an inspection of the pan is in order. You may be on the right track regarding a rain leak into a skin seam or at any joint on the roof (skylights, fans, A/C unit). A good visual inspection is in order. The point of entry may not be directly above the visible drip.

I would also pressurize the water system and closely look at all of your sinks, shower, water heater and water pump fittings to see if you have a loose fitting that drips. So far my leaks have been a fitting that came loose.

... Just reread the OP, sounds like you've looked for the water line leaks

There are cable troughs under the floor that can transport water like mini aqueducts.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:39 PM   #9
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Weeping.....?

Gator,

Been under our 03 25 Classic and never saw any holes in the pan that holds the FW tank, went out and took some pics. Where in relation to the cover is the water exiting.

We have a leak coming from the fill vent line. Drips steady from around the access cover until the level in the tank goes below the vent hose connection. It is just barely accessible from inside but would take way to much interior disassembly to make it worth the effort. It's to tight to come loose and loose enough to leak. If it had a worm band clamp I could tighten but.......

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07784.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	287.2 KB
ID:	140640  

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:39 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
Thank you to all.

After I get the parts to repair my jack, I'll be able to move the trailer where I can get it up and work on it.

Your comments and tips should help me out. I'll report back on how it all worked out.

Cheers,

Dan