Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2002, 03:43 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
2001 31' Excella
Water Tank Pan

Can I remove the water tank pan without removing the water tank itself? Does the water tank rest on the pan or does it have support elsewhere? I have some burst copper tubing that I want to replace and as far as I can tell, the best way to get at it is going through the bottom, rather than cutting a hole in the floor... Any suggestions/help would be great! Thanks!!

Craig
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2002, 07:09 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Craig,

Usally the pan supports the tank. If this is your plan you may need to disconnect some plumbing and wires from above before proceeding. If the tank is empty you should be able to drop the pan with support close by, an inch or two, and see if there are straps holding it up.

Someone out there may have a service manual that they can check and see, but my suggestion is to get one for yourself as you could be far from the forum when you need to know how something is put together so you can take it apart and fix it.

Here is a link to a 1978 owners manual, but this guy has a source and is listing serice manuals too.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2129602381

Another opion is to look in the vendors forum for secretarial services. They will be happy to send you a manual for a fee. If you are a DIY'er the service manual will save you hours and dollars in the long run.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2002, 07:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Talking

These are the steps listed in my '77 Excella 500 31' service manual:

1. Empty tank by opening drain valve or faucet and turn water pump on.
2. Remove hose clamps from fill and vent pipes. Remove heat duct.
3. Disconnect water tank probe wires (these are push together connectors) in area below galley.
4. Remove center support bolt and plate from underside of trailer.
5. Loosen clamp on discharge line leading from tank to water pump and remove line from tank.
6. Under trailer, remove clamps securing gas lines.
7. Disconnect gas lines and swing them free of water tank area. In some cases, depending on model, the lines can be moved without disconnecting. On a few models the lines leading to the shut-off valves must be removed.
8. Support center of support pan and tank with floor jack.
9. Remove bolts securing support pan to chassis.
10. Lower support tank pan assembly.
11. When installing, reverse above steps, making sure styrofoam strips are reinstalled.
12. Wen reinstalling gas lines, be sure to check for gas leaks. Be careful not to get dirt into line when inserting through floor area.
13. Water check when connections are completed.

It looks like there is one piece of styrofoam on each of the 4 sides of the tank and then one large sheet with a rectangle size hole cut in the center. A bolt goes through a rectangle plate support and then into an H shaped frame.

Your '78 should not be much different from my '77. Hope this helps.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2002, 09:15 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
2001 31' Excella
Thanks, Craig. It sounds like the water tank does rest on the pan based on the instructions.

Craig
Old 08-23-2002, 10:31 PM   #5
Vagabond

1973 31' Sovereign
1991 34' Excella
Fort Meade Md. RV park slot 8!! , Motorsports Photographer
Send a message via AIM to TheBigRedTruck
Craig, how did it go, did you get the water tank out ok???????? Im looking to pull one out this fall!!!!!! looking for any info i can get....
Old 08-24-2002, 08:52 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
2001 31' Excella
I haven't pulled out the tank yet.... I'm trying to attack the problem from "above" - inside the trailer first. It doesn't look that difficult of a job though...
Old 09-06-2002, 07:33 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
i replaced the tank in my 78 excella 500 MID BATH. and it took me and a friend two hours. the tank sits in a pan, and the pan is bolted to the cross members on the frame with a zillion bolts. i used a air rachet to remove the bolts. be sure to get all of the water out of the tank .be sure to put the styrofoam back in the pan . i replaced mine stay with the same thickness . it is a fun job. NOTE: i repaired my old tank and had to replace the next year. so go aheah and bite the bullet for a new one . frank can supply a new one.
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 08:52 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph O. Smith
Leak

Bobby, Thanks for the tire and leak information. Am I right in supposing that the absent caulking on the trim could be a place where water is coming into the camper. And, is this trim covering a seam? What would you suggest for preparing the aluminum for caulking? What kind/brand of caulking should I use? I know this is a lot of questions. Thank you...
Joseph O. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote