Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2008, 02:42 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Water tank gauge

Our '66 is one year short from receiving tank monitors. Don't need a grey tank gauge...no grey tank. Don't need a black tank gauge...just look down through the toilet. However, the only way to know for sure how much fresh water is on board is when I top it off or the pump runs dry. I don't like to haul a full tank of water if I know some is available at our destination. I do carry a few gallons for 'just in case'. I plan on creating and installing a sight tube in the water supply pipe just after the tank. I can make it viewable by pulling back the gaucho seat back (we have the dinnete gaucho). I have used the 'Search' feature because I thought I remember reading of someone's simular solution but found none. It seems to be easily manufactured with a 'T' fitting and a clear tube the reaches higher, of course, than the height of the tank. Do any of you have knowledge on this? Any cautions? Thanks,
Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 03:25 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Orinda , California
Water level hose require connection on bottom and vent pipe as well. Do you have easy access to both?
Electric sensors are easy to install if you really want to spend the time.
I am planning to replace my leaky tank with bladder type one.
Cheaper, bigger and very easy to see the water .level.
Is the avatar showing this season snow in Placerville?
Kajtek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 03:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
In the 1966 sales brochure it says that the International Series have a gauge "on" the water tank and it's optional to all others. I have an International but have never seen this guage. It may be that it's an impression on the water tank itself....hard to say. Is yours an International or?
Old 01-21-2008, 03:31 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir
Our '66 is one year short from receiving tank monitors. Don't need a grey tank gauge...no grey tank. Don't need a black tank gauge...just look down through the toilet. However, the only way to know for sure how much fresh water is on board is when I top it off or the pump runs dry. I don't like to haul a full tank of water if I know some is available at our destination. I do carry a few gallons for 'just in case'. I plan on creating and installing a sight tube in the water supply pipe just after the tank. I can make it viewable by pulling back the gaucho seat back (we have the dinnete gaucho). I have used the 'Search' feature because I thought I remember reading of someone's simular solution but found none. It seems to be easily manufactured with a 'T' fitting and a clear tube the reaches higher, of course, than the height of the tank. Do any of you have knowledge on this? Any cautions? Thanks,
Neil
A sight gauge is the easiest and for next to nothing way to go.

Make sure that it is hooked up to the bottom and top of the tank.

You should always travel with full water.

Full water lowers the center of gravity of the trailer.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 03:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Andy....are you saying to travel with full water always (even if you are going to use hook ups), or, just when you travel with water to always be sure it's full?
Old 01-21-2008, 04:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by centennialma
In the 1966 sales brochure it says that the International Series have a gauge "on" the water tank and it's optional to all others. I have an International but have never seen this guage. It may be that it's an impression on the water tank itself....hard to say. Is yours an International or?
It is a Trade Wind Land Yacht. It has twin tanks totaling 35 gals., one under each gaucho (dinnete gaucho) connected to each other by 1/2" pipe. Aparently a PO added a second filler, one for each tank. It doesn't fill that much faster.
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid
Old 01-21-2008, 04:58 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In

You should always travel with full water.

Full water lowers the center of gravity of the trailer.

Andy
???...but that is 275+ more pounds on the tongue? We pull much of the time in the Cal. mountains and weight conservation is my concern, not my wifes, however.
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid
Old 01-21-2008, 05:30 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Just wondering: Are there baffles in the fresh water tanks to keep the water from sloshing around?
janetb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 05:44 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Orinda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetb
Just wondering: Are there baffles in the fresh water tanks to keep the water from sloshing around?
Not in the tank I just pulled out from my project.
Is there any calculation to what you said Andy? My estimate is, that Safari trailer center of gravity is just couple inches above the floor, while water tank center of gravity is 6" above the floor and there is an issue about impact from water on turns.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:15 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
???...but that is 275+ more pounds on the tongue? We pull much of the time in the Cal. mountains and weight conservation is my concern, not my wifes, however.
The weight of the water in the front tank (originally only had one), does not all go to the tounge.

Some of that weight goes back to the axle as well.

Empty the water tanks and place a scale under the jack post. Fill the tanks with water and see exactly how much tongue weight you have added.

The more weight at the floor line, the better any travel trailer will behave.

Water moving in your tanks when making a turn on the highway, has a neglegible effect on handling, unless you turn city street corners at excessive speeds, and that's not likely.

Traveling cross country with full or empty water has very little effect on fuel mileage. If the trailer is full of water, you will burn up more fuel at a stop light, than the weight of the water will cause. Same for empty water tanks.

Andy
Old 01-21-2008, 07:17 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1
Is the avatar showing this season snow in Placerville?
That photo was taken last Feb. We are at 3000' elevation and get snow occassionally. It is snowing at the moment.

Thank you for calling my attention for the need of water level hose connected at bottom AND at the vent. Yes it is accessible.
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid
Old 01-21-2008, 07:26 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
The weight of the water in the front tank (originally only had one), does not all go to the tounge.

Some of that weight goes back to the axle as well.

Empty the water tanks and place a scale under the jack post. Fill the tanks with water and see exactly how much tongue weight you have added.

The more weight at the floor line, the better any travel trailer will behave.

Water moving in your tanks when making a turn on the highway, has a neglegible effect on handling, unless you turn city street corners at excessive speeds, and that's not likely.

Traveling cross country with full or empty water has very little effect on fuel mileage. If the trailer is full of water, you will burn up more fuel at a stop light, than the weight of the water will cause. Same for empty water tanks.

Andy
Thank you very much, Andy. The distribution of weight of the tank I did not realize. Also I suspected that our second tank was added. The PO did much boondocking in Oregon. They hunted a lot too evidence of much road dust I cleaned out. Now a water level gauge will be usefull to me by telling me how much water I have left and not how little I can get away with. Thanks.
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid
Old 01-21-2008, 07:30 PM   #13
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Neil;
Ol buddy ol pal, hey I'll bring my scale to Casini and we can do a real life weight of your rig, with and without H2O!Remember what it was last time we scaled it?
I also have a few spare fitting we use on wing tanks that work like a charm on rotomolded tanks, We use them for sight gauges, might work for water!As long as the tank is vented you just need a 1/2" hole at the bottom and another at the top on the tank. If you need um pronto, you know where to find me.
Or we could set up somethin like a J3 Cub has0 A cork with a stick on it protruding thru the fil cap,Lynn could affix a little AMERICAN FLAG to it for conversation- that would keep her happy!

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 07:35 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thank you very much, Andy. The distribution of weight of the tank I did not realize. Also I suspected that our second tank was added. The PO did much boondocking in Oregon. They hunted a lot too evidence of much road dust I cleaned out. Now a water level gauge will be usefull to me by telling me how much water I have left and not how little I can get away with. Thanks.
The original tank dimensions were 12" x 12" x 52 ". It held 30 gallons of water.

It was immediately under the front window, behind the fold down lounge, and went side to side.

Also the original tanks that were gray, had a huge failure rate. Airstream then changed them to a light green plastic. That too, failed, but not as bad as the original.

The last tank that they used was opaque white, and is still available.

Keep in mind, that with a sight gauge, the water tanks must be level. If not, the sight gauge could show more or less water than you actually have left.

Andy
Old 01-21-2008, 08:20 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
The original tank dimensions were 12" x 12" x 52 ". It held 30 gallons of water.

It was immediately under the front window, behind the fold down lounge, and went side to side.

Also the original tanks that were gray, had a huge failure rate. Airstream then changed them to a light green plastic. That too, failed, but not as bad as the original.

The last tank that they used was opaque white, and is still available.

Keep in mind, that with a sight gauge, the water tanks must be level. If not, the sight gauge could show more or less water than you actually have left.

Andy
Interesting. We have, of course, the 2 gaucho dinette. Under the seats are the tanks. They are black in color. I believe at one time I measured them as 17" wide, 12" high and as long as the seat. Then I calculated they each held about 17 gallons each. If my measurements are similar to yours I am carrying Lake Tahoe under my seats. I never could get anyone to confirm my suspicion that thet were not original. They were conncted by a 1l2 copper pipe that followed the front wall at the floor under the window. The other giveaway is the addition of an ugly after market filler neck. I found another Airstream filler neck that matches the original on ebay minus the cap. I did locate an alumunum cap but it does not match the original. It will do until I find one that matches.
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid
Old 01-21-2008, 08:40 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Orinda , California
Looks like the tank I pulled out is original gray. Judging from about 3 tubes of silicone dumped on the connections, the PO had an issue with it long time ago.
Would it have any museums value?
Old 01-21-2008, 08:59 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorgunner
Neil;
Ol buddy ol pal, hey I'll bring my scale to Casini and we can do a real life weight of your rig, with and without H2O!Remember what it was last time we scaled it?
I also have a few spare fitting we use on wing tanks that work like a charm on rotomolded tanks, We use them for sight gauges, might work for water!As long as the tank is vented you just need a 1/2" hole at the bottom and another at the top on the tank. If you need um pronto, you know where to find me.
Or we could set up somethin like a J3 Cub has0 A cork with a stick on it protruding thru the fil cap,Lynn could affix a little AMERICAN FLAG to it for conversation- that would keep her happy!
Yeah, Tim, the tongue weight at LSA was 510#. The tanks were relatively empty because we were at full hook ups. The dry tongue weight is 410#. However, the spare tire is under the tongue so the 510# makes sense. No I am not in any hurry now that it appears that I shouldn't have to worry about water weight. I still would like a gauge on the tank. Remember you telling me that our rig was a 'little squirrely' from your view behind us on the trip to LSA. Although that didn't transfer to the Buick I still have been thinking about your call-out. Do you suppose filling the tanks would alleviate that? I mentioned to Lynn your cork, stick, flag suggestion. She just gave me a blank stare....like the stares she gives to you.
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid
Old 01-21-2008, 09:01 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Looks like the tank I pulled out is original gray. Judging from abut 3 tubes of silicone dumped on the connections, the PO had and issue with it long time ago.
Would it have any museums value?
I don't think I would like to visit THAT museum.
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid
Old 01-21-2008, 09:06 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Orinda , California
That scale idea turn on a light in my brain. I've been using old bathroom scale for finding propane level in my smaller tanks for years.
If you find out how much weight adds the water to the front jack, you can put a scale under it and have quite precisely measurements. That would work only if there is nobody in the trailer and assuming you are not moving heavy items inside.
Standard bathrooms go up to 300lb. Would take couple of brick and strong board to divide the jack weight on 2, but that is easily doable. No need to pull the couch.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:17 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
That scale idea turn on a light in my brain. I've been using old bathroom scale for finding propane level in my smaller tanks for years.
If you find out how much weight adds the water to the front jack, you can put a scale under it and have quite precisely measurements. That would work only if there is nobody in the trailer and assuming you are not moving heavy items inside.
Standard bathrooms go up to 300lb. Would take couple of brick and strong board to divide the jack weight on 2, but that is easily doable. No need to pull the couch.
Tim (doorgunner) brought a scale that is used to weigh race cars, one under each wheel, to the NorCal LSA Rally last October. If you attend the upcoming Casini Ranch Rally you, if you ask him real nice now, he probably would weigh your tongue. Ooooh, I don't like that 'picture'.
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid