Old 01-21-2008, 09:20 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
The original tank dimensions were 12" x 12" x 52 ". It held 30 gallons of water.

It was immediately under the front window, behind the fold down lounge, and went side to side.

Also the original tanks that were gray, had a huge failure rate. Airstream then changed them to a light green plastic. That too, failed, but not as bad as the original.

The last tank that they used was opaque white, and is still available.

Keep in mind, that with a sight gauge, the water tanks must be level. If not, the sight gauge could show more or less water than you actually have left.

Andy
Interesting. We have, of course, the 2 gaucho dinette. Under the seats are the tanks. They are black in color. I believe at one time I measured them as 17" wide, 12" high and as long as the seat. Then I calculated they each held about 17 gallons each. If my measurements are similar to yours I am carrying Lake Tahoe under my seats. I never could get anyone to confirm my suspicion that thet were not original. They were conncted by a 1l2 copper pipe that followed the front wall at the floor under the window. The other giveaway is the addition of an ugly after market filler neck. I found another Airstream filler neck that matches the original on ebay minus the cap. I did locate an alumunum cap but it does not match the original. It will do until I find one that matches.

FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:40 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Orinda , California
Looks like the tank I pulled out is original gray. Judging from about 3 tubes of silicone dumped on the connections, the PO had an issue with it long time ago.
Would it have any museums value?

Old 01-21-2008, 09:59 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorgunner
Neil;
Ol buddy ol pal, hey I'll bring my scale to Casini and we can do a real life weight of your rig, with and without H2O!Remember what it was last time we scaled it?
I also have a few spare fitting we use on wing tanks that work like a charm on rotomolded tanks, We use them for sight gauges, might work for water!As long as the tank is vented you just need a 1/2" hole at the bottom and another at the top on the tank. If you need um pronto, you know where to find me.
Or we could set up somethin like a J3 Cub has0 A cork with a stick on it protruding thru the fil cap,Lynn could affix a little AMERICAN FLAG to it for conversation- that would keep her happy!
Yeah, Tim, the tongue weight at LSA was 510#. The tanks were relatively empty because we were at full hook ups. The dry tongue weight is 410#. However, the spare tire is under the tongue so the 510# makes sense. No I am not in any hurry now that it appears that I shouldn't have to worry about water weight. I still would like a gauge on the tank. Remember you telling me that our rig was a 'little squirrely' from your view behind us on the trip to LSA. Although that didn't transfer to the Buick I still have been thinking about your call-out. Do you suppose filling the tanks would alleviate that? I mentioned to Lynn your cork, stick, flag suggestion. She just gave me a blank stare....like the stares she gives to you.
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid
Old 01-21-2008, 10:01 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1
Looks like the tank I pulled out is original gray. Judging from abut 3 tubes of silicone dumped on the connections, the PO had and issue with it long time ago.
Would it have any museums value?
I don't think I would like to visit THAT museum.
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid
Old 01-21-2008, 10:06 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Orinda , California
That scale idea turn on a light in my brain. I've been using old bathroom scale for finding propane level in my smaller tanks for years.
If you find out how much weight adds the water to the front jack, you can put a scale under it and have quite precisely measurements. That would work only if there is nobody in the trailer and assuming you are not moving heavy items inside.
Standard bathrooms go up to 300lb. Would take couple of brick and strong board to divide the jack weight on 2, but that is easily doable. No need to pull the couch.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:17 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1
That scale idea turn on a light in my brain. I've been using old bathroom scale for finding propane level in my smaller tanks for years.
If you find out how much weight adds the water to the front jack, you can put a scale under it and have quite precisely measurements. That would work only if there is nobody in the trailer and assuming you are not moving heavy items inside.
Standard bathrooms go up to 300lb. Would take couple of brick and strong board to divide the jack weight on 2, but that is easily doable. No need to pull the couch.
Tim (doorgunner) brought a scale that is used to weigh race cars, one under each wheel, to the NorCal LSA Rally last October. If you attend the upcoming Casini Ranch Rally you, if you ask him real nice now, he probably would weigh your tongue. Ooooh, I don't like that 'picture'.
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid
Old 02-17-2008, 01:55 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
The Sea Ranch , California
Thanks Andy for all the useful advice. I too need to replace the water tank in my '64- the original was a thin tan plastic that was brittle. I've been looking at tanks from West Marine, mostly because I can just pick it up in Santa Rosa. Does anyone recommend a particular brand, order online etc?

thanks

Peter
Old 07-12-2008, 10:41 AM   #22
Sierra Papa

2007 25' International CCD
Preston , Idaho
I have an 07 International 25 ft SS. I have the electric fresh water monitors. I would really like a sight glass method to know for sure my fresh water level, rather than the idiot light system I now have. Any pics or info on where to install a sight tube? I do not mind getting out of the trailer to take a look. Also, I do some cold weather camping up near Yellowstone so I do not want to add something else to freeze and break. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:24 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Keep in mind, that with a sight gauge, the water tanks must be level. If not, the sight gauge could show more or less water than you actually have left.
Same for the electric guages. The only way around this is to either have taller tanks (minizes the effect of tilt) or multiple capacitive guages, but we ain't towing the Space Shuttle...

Zep

Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote