Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-10-2008, 11:29 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2022 25' International
Savage , Minnesota
Water Tank Filled? Is it or is it not?

So I am am unclear as to whether or not my fresh water tank is filled. First of all I do not know if the gauge works. It is reading empty. When I hooked up to the "city" fresh water, I know I filled the hot water tank, as I could hear it fill. The fresh water tank made zero noise. I am used to an SOB and being able to hear the tank fill. I heard nothing. When I treated the fresh tank via the outside curbside filler by adding the bleech solution, and then turned on the faucets, I did get the bleech to come through (confirmed by smell). But how can I know if the fresh tank is full? I might add that the pump is original from 1990, and when I shut off the city water and turn it on, it pumps and pumps and pumps a trickle, and never shuts off. I assume the pump must be replaced. I can also note that when I am attached to the city water, and turn on the "auto fill", I still hear no noise of a filling tank. Auto Fill "seems" to do nothing. Bottom line, when I first tried to fill the tank, and with ongoing water usage, I hear no noise of water going into the tank. Thus, I do not trust that it is full.
ts8501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 11:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I would fill it through the outside curbside filler. Make sure that you allow the displaced air to escape as you fill it -- folks have blown out tanks when they discovered too late that the vent line was plugged.

Fill it until it won't take any more and see what the guage says.

As for the "auto fill" function, my friends 34' had it disabled. The valve failed (didn't close completely) and it would overfill the tank. Might a PO have disabled it? Or perhaps the valve is inop?

mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 12:02 PM   #3
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Yeah, just fill via the curbside fill...get a rough estimate of how long it takes. City water ~ 3.5 gpm/50 (or 54) gal tank on your AS = 15 min.

Fill untill it spouts out...if it takes about 15 min then I would say you are in good shape.
Don't know about the reliability of the auto fill, as noted, I have heard good/bad.

See my recent post on fixing your gauges.
I am thrilled to have ours working again!

Bill
Old 05-10-2008, 02:52 PM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
My 75 has no such device to fill the tank. All the water comes through the door on the side by way of a hose. Be careful not to fill the tank too fast. We had a member do just that recently and the tank could not vent fast enough causing damage to the floor of the trailer.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote