Old 04-08-2014, 06:44 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1990 29' Excella
Long Island , New York
Water Tank Cover

Ok, so I have a 1990 excella that apparently has been hit in the pan that protects the water tank. It will drip slowly when filled, so I figured as long as Im doing the nightmare axle job, I might as well drop the tank to see whats going on. BTW, whose idea was it to hang the fresh water tank lower than the axles, not a great design.

So I took the 14 half inch bolts off the cover, pryed off the gak that was holding it on, and apparently that is what holds the tank up. I can see over the top of the tank, its not all the way down yet, the fill attaches to an elbow on the right side of the tank, it will be a miracle if I can get it back in without snapping it off, it snugs right inside the frame rail, The vent is on the top, squeeze my hand in there I can probably unscrew them. I'm not sure where the pickup for the pump is, must be towards the bottom, with a pex line?

My main question is can I drop the tank to the ground without snapping off the lines, or should I try toseparate the tank from the pan, could be a real pita, not a lot of room under there, and how is the drain attached to the tank, seems like a lot going on in that pan!!!

I did learn that thwater tank is heated by a duct that blows directly in there, and apparently the black and grey are not heated at all?? Anybody have any experience or advice on that water tank removal?

Jeepjunk4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:16 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member
2002 30' Classic S/O
1989 25' Excella
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Missouri Valley , Iowa
When I replumbed my '89 25' Excella with PEX, I pivoted the FW tank cover down by removing the front and side bolts and just loosening those on the rear. I did remove the fill and vent hoses as well as the suction line, all 3 of which are on the curb side (end) of the tank. It is a small area to access. I had some access room from above as well. It was under the bottom shelf below the sink. I had raised the trailer up on about 6" of concrete pavers to allow for "belly room"also. I think you will need to disconnect the lines or they will likely break off. As I recall, the tank drain is on another outlet just inboard of the drain valve - connected to the FW tank by a short hose. There should be an access cover, attached by screws, on the bottom of the tank cover right below the drain valve area. This should let you at least see what is what inside the lower part of the cover.

Farmer Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:29 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member
1990 29' Excella
Long Island , New York
Thanks Dan. I have a 29 excella and all the fittings that I can see are on the street end of the tank. I assume the tank monitors are there as well idk. I will see if I can get the inspection plate off, screws are rusty. I also have some access from top, under the pantry, under the maze of heater ducts and pex. I guess I know what I'm doing tomw. lol. Thanks for your help.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:53 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member
1990 29' Excella
Long Island , New York
Now that the tank is out, anybody that has one of these models, is the fresh water tank bowed out on the bottom? I'm thinking of banging it back into shape, but don't want to make the bottom flat and then the tank willhit the bottom of the floor. Its hard to believe there is no other support under that 50 gal tank, except that sheet metal! Would it be a bad idea to frame the bottom of that tank with angle iron to prevent bottom sag? Now I will make sure that tank is empty when traveling, I usually do anyway.