Old 09-08-2009, 05:07 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
1970 27' Overlander
Ketchum Idaho , Idaho
Water Tank

Hi, I have a bit of a 'newbie' question, but I want to make sure I get it exactly right with our 1970 Overlander.
When using water from the 'shore supply', which right now is from our outside tap at home, this water goes directly to the water system and does not fill the tank, is that correct?
Does it go through the water heater and fill that then? Or is the water heater ONLY filled from the tank?
And the tank can only be filled from the valve on the side?
It's a little confusing, I have the manual but it just isn't clear what happens, although it appears that it does not fill the tank unless I pour water in through the valve on the side near the door. I have no idea about the water heater, but obviously need to know so I don't burn it out. Thanks!

zenarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:59 PM   #2

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
yes to everything...if it is "stock". thing is, on a trailer this old, any number of things could have been changed.

there isn't a "valve", per se, that fills the on board water tank; its just a filler neck, like the gas tank of your car. Water supplied from the tank is pumped into the water supply lines; the pump creates the pressure, and a pressure sensitive switch turns it on and off.

water is prevented from shooting out the city water connection by means of a one-way check-valve. An identical check-valve is on the other end of the line, between the pump and the tank, thus keeping city water pressure from filling the tank.

the water heater "may" have had a bypass kit installed, which cuts it off from the flow of water in the winter. This enables the owner to pump antifreeze into the water lines, without filling the tank. (the tank can be emptied, so there's no need for freeze protection...but without a means of isolating it from the lines, one would need much more antifreeze to winterize the system.)

Wbcci: 3752
'73 Safari 23'
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:59 PM   #3
Site Team
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
When hooked to city water, your water tank should not fill.

The water heater should fill if connected to city water or running by pump from the water tank. You need to open a hot water faucet to let the air out of the water heater.

You should have a water fill on the side of the trailer to fill the water tank. Water is poured into this from hose or other means such as a jerry can.

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 01:29 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member
1970 27' Overlander
Ketchum Idaho , Idaho
Excellent, thank you both for the info. It's what I surmised by running the system but I wanted to make sure before I used the water heater.. and heated nothing... I really appreciate the help!
zenarmy is offline   Reply With Quote