Old 07-02-2006, 06:05 PM   #1
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Question Water Tank

Ok...I know this is a repeat question again but what I am wondering is,What is all of your ideas on cleaning the fresh water tank out.I am thinking it will take me half the day to do this if I am to do this right.
Should I fill the tank 3/4 of the way full and add the bleach.Take it for a drive around town(Driving for a few miles.).
Empty it then fill it up again and do the same one more time then drain and let it dry out(can it do that or fill it up and put some bleach in it to keep it clean so it would not get more bad stuff in it and wait another month to do it again.
It has been about almost 2 months since I cleaned the tanks out.
I am thinking about doing this to all the tanks to be safe except for the black tank which I would clean it the right way without the bleach.Thanks in advance for the help.

It just cant get any better than that.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 06:13 PM   #2
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
The recommended amount of bleach to sanitize the tank, is 1/2 cup of bleach per 30 gallons of water. I would put the bleach in, and fill the tank up with water. If you want to make sure the bleach gets all over the inside of the tank, you can drive it around for a little while, but you won't need to go across country (or even across town) to get the bleach everywhere.
After you do this, you can just park the trailer for the night, and drain the tank in the morning, refilling it with fresh city water.

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 07:48 PM   #3
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637

I really did not think it would really be that simple being that we live in the 100 degree w/humidity state.My thermostat in my vehicle was hitting exactly 100 degrees for two days and that got me thinking about my fresh water tanks.
It just cant get any better than that.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 10:40 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
What we always do is first drain our water heater, then fill up the fresh water tank with the bleach mixture. Turn on the water pump until the water heater is filled up, turn on all the facets and run water through until you can smell the bleach. Then let it set for several hours, overnight if possible.

Drain the fresh water tank -- including the water heater. Fill up with fresh water, turn on the water pump to again fill the water heater, and run this fresh water through all the lines again.

If the remaining smell of bleach bothers you, you can put either vinegar or baking soda in the fresh water tank, and run through everything as above, then drain and add more fresh water. Frankly, we've never done this, as the remaining bleach smell -- what little there is -- doesn't bother us.
elh3946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:18 AM   #5
Site Team
1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Here's a few links to give you an idea of what has been said on the forum about fresh water:

Simple water tank cleaning instructions:

Have fun!
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:35 AM   #6
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Your owner's manual should tell you what to do to sanitize the tank. It's about the same as the above posts. One hour in the tank with the chlorine solution is enough if you use the stronger version.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote