Old 06-06-2004, 11:51 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Water supply problem 1970 Overlander

Just getting started. When I fill my water tank and run the water pump the water pumps out the bottom discharge hose when I would rather that it came out of the taps...

Also when I hooked up to city water, I still get no water. I would have thought that hooking up to city water would have been a slam dunk.

The unit was sitting for at least a couple of years so could a valve have ceased??? Previous owner was no help.

Appreciate all help.

Ken.

Old 06-07-2004, 06:43 AM   #2
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
ken

perhaps you have a winterizing drain open, look inside the trailer directly above drain. you should have a valve near there. be aware there are usually 2 of these drains, one for hot and cold. there also should be a drain for the fresh water tank itself, for a total of 3.

as for the city water system, look for yet another valve. there may or maynot be one. it is possible your built in pressure regulator/check valve is stuck not allowing water to flow. it is bell shaped and usually in the rear of the trailer near the water inlet. there are many threads dealing with this subject, do a search on pressure regulator and see... i seem to remember one member had a mud dauber nest in the inlet pipe that completely plugged up the regulator when they tried it for the first time!

good luck and keep us posted!

john

Old 06-07-2004, 09:02 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Water supply problem 1970 Overlander

Greetings TroutStream!

Welcome to the world of Vintage Overlander ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutStream
Just getting started. When I fill my water tank and run the water pump the water pumps out the bottom discharge hose when I would rather that it came out of the taps...

Also when I hooked up to city water, I still get no water. I would have thought that hooking up to city water would have been a slam dunk.

The unit was sitting for at least a couple of years so could a valve have ceased??? Previous owner was no help.

Appreciate all help.

Ken.
I agree with John that you likely have one or more open low point drains in your coach. Even with the city water, at least on the Vintage coaches, all of the low point drains must be closed before the water system functions properly either on the demand side or city supply side. The valves that I most frequently forget about on my Overlander are those under the beds mid-coach - - one for the fresh water tank and the other for the water heater.

A second problem that might impact your city water service is a valve that may not have been used by the time your coach was produced. I am not sure when the "City/Demand" water valve disappeared, but if your coach has one, it is typically between the city water supply and the pressure regulator that John mentioned in his post - - adjusting the direction that the handle points on this valve determines whether the coach functions on the city water supply or the on-board demand system. I believe this valve disappeared when check-valves were added to the water pumps.

Good luck with your search for the water system gremlin!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 02:34 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Water Supply Update...Good news and bad news....

The good news is I found a problem which is likely causing my water supply problems... When hooked to city water I was leaking through a rubber drain, which thanks to this forum I assumed was the 111 check valve. However at the same time there was water leaking from the belly pan beside the water inlet.

What I found was there are two rubber drains almost besided each other and one drains water from under the floor. Upon further inspection I found that the water inlet 'T's off almost immediately after the check valve with one side winding to 2 shut off valves and the other dissappearing around the corner.

From inside the rear bath I found a water leak in the copper line running to the hot water tank. This is the good news.

The bad news is how do I fix it as access is denied. It looks as though I will have to either cut through the belly pan and the floor or remove the hot water heater (looks difficult). Or I may be best off to 'fish' in some PVC or ABS supply pipe to replace the copper. I will post pics.

What is PEX that I have heard mentioned???

Also, I am assuming that this leak is causing enough pressure loss to prevent my water from reaching the faucets?

Thanks to all!

Ken
Old 06-10-2004, 02:46 PM   #5
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
"PEX" is "cross-linked polyethylene" tubing. its a type of plastic pipe that is used in most RV's built these days. easier to work with than copper, more flexible, and stands up better to freezing. (although, it isn't "freeze-proof"; camper should still be winterized).

http://www.pexconnection.com

the "flair-it" type is probably the stuff to use, as it doesn't require special (expen$ive) tools. anyway, everything you ever wanted to know about pex is on that site.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 03:53 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

My local dealer (I'm on an island so selection is limited) has a replacement tubing called 'QEST' he says it works with the 'Flair-it' fittings.

Does anyone have any warnings about 'QEST' tubing?

Ken