Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2004, 12:21 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Water Saver for Shower

I have a Nozzle on one of my showers in the house that aereates the spray and is reputed to save much water. I first saw these at motels and purchased one at Lowes long ago about $4.00.I didn't give a whit about saving the water, just liked the spray. My shower has a gated "Y" and there is a telephone shower sprayer on the other leg.

A different attitude is wise in the trailer.
In the Airstream it is pretty much imperative to use a telephone type sprayer for the shower to keep the overspray within the tub and because there is no upper shower stub-pipe.

For a minute I thought why not place one of the savers in line, then I realized how dumb that thought was.

The point of course is to use as little water as possible from the water heater or should I say to use only the heated water and not one cup more. In my case 10 gallons minus the room all the calcium, lime, etc deposits are taking up
So has anyone ever seen a telephone type shower device with the aereation water saver feature?
jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 12:44 PM   #2
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Part of the system

There is already a water saver of some form in the AS.
there is an inline regulator in the city water connection plumbing and there is a regulator screwed into the base of the shower valve, (fixture)

Some folks add a second regulator at the campground spigot

May not be as conservative as you would like but they are there, typically.

Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 12:59 PM   #3

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I will concur there is obviously some type of restriction in the shower assembly to minimize the outflow. Keep in mind that those heads that have the off on slide can also further reduce the water output by selecting a position less than full on. Personally the output on my shower is barely adequate so I can not see any further reduction needed in my case.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 01:14 PM   #4
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Jack

If you are not concerened with water conservation, as in city connected, you can remove the regulator at the base of your shower hose and you will get increased pressure.

You can bump the water temperature up on your WH and this will allow you to mix the water with less outflow from the WH. (warn for scalding water)
The product is warm shower , higher pressure, and the water in your WH will last just as long as it did with reduced pressure.

Smily
Old 04-21-2004, 01:50 PM   #5

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by smily
If you are not concerened with water conservation, as in city connected, you can remove the regulator at the base of your shower hose and you will get increased pressure.

You can bump the water temperature up on your WH and this will allow you to mix the water with less outflow from the WH. (warn for scalding water)
The product is warm shower , higher pressure, and the water in your WH will last just as long as it did with reduced pressure.

Smily
At least at this point its acceptable (but at the low end). I think I'll have to do some more outings to find how variable water pressures affect the shower output. I don't see a temperature adjustment on the Classic nor did I see one on our '01 Safari. Water is and was extremely hot on both trailers.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 08:20 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Jack---I'm not sure just what type water heater you have, but I think Atwood has a thermostat that runs a lower temp. I really think the ones that come with the units is set way to high. I'm concerned that someone is going to get burned. On our unit (02 Bambi) the thermostat is not adjustable & the preset temp control has to be replaced. it's just a wire in & out on clips with twp screws attaching it to the unit. Again I'm not sure, but you can check this --Atwood part # 93105. It was $27.01 +9.95 s/h.
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 09:40 PM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I had a thought on the water pressure issue. The upgraded water pump also acts as a device that can increase the water pressure when connected to city water.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 10:00 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Actually I had not thought of the device I was inquiring about as a water pressure device. Maybe though that is exactly what it is. I just thought of it as a dam of sorts that let less water exit the shower head. And somehow mixed air with that which did and makes a faster but sparser flow.
But I left my engineering cap at the campus a while back, so I really haven't a clue.

jaco
jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 06:09 AM   #9
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Temperature settings

I am not familiar with the late model AS's but the old suburbans had a big red knob on the gas valve that would allow you to set the temperature of the water. maybe if you search the photos you will find an old WH that depicts the valve.
It sounds like the late models have a newer, better way of heating water

Nothing like good old Engineering.

Smily
Old 04-22-2004, 06:28 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Hi Smilly;

Just a little caution on re-posting photos from another thread - this was from my thread re questions about a bad water heater - missing some parts - I know you are refering to the BIG RED knob in this photo in regards to this thread.

My caution is I would hate to have a "new member" who knows nothing of water heaters think that this picture is correct. - It is missing some really serious parts that if fired up - well would just blow this forum of the face of the earth

So just a little note that could go with the photo would be a little bit of a safety reference - must remember not everyone knows as much as you experienced fellows - and not everyone will ask questions - they will just assume...
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 07:16 AM   #11
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
Assume

I think you nailed it.

I am glad there is some one on the forum monitoring the validity of postings. Lord knows they will keep busy with friendly warnings. There are countless depictions of defective equipment on this forum without detailed explainations and warnings.

I believe there is a disclaimer that all members agree to when they sign up. Forum is not responsible for information posted on the Forum.

Thanks for the heads up

Scotty, Beam me up.

Smily
Old 04-22-2004, 07:23 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
You're right Ken, the newer models no longer use the adjustable type heat control. The new units & I'm not sure just when they changed, use a non-adjustable type unit. Not sure that the controls are better, just probaly cheaper. IMHO they sure run to hot. We usually turn the water heater on when we get up & by the time we want hot water, it's ready. We then turn it off & seem to have enough for the day.
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 10:23 AM   #13
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
So a question to you AS owner with newer units:

So you don't run out of hot water and fill the tanks quickly,
is there a little shut-off thingie on or near the shower head so you don't have to keep turning the main shower valves on and off. Probably more wear and tear on the washers.

I'm wondering if this will be on my CCD?

Jonathan
Old 04-22-2004, 12:05 PM   #14
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylev
So a question to you AS owner with newer units:

So you don't run out of hot water and fill the tanks quickly,
is there a little shut-off thingie on or near the shower head so you don't have to keep turning the main shower valves on and off. Probably more wear and tear on the washers.

I'm wondering if this will be on my CCD?

Jonathan
Yes. The shower head has an on/off button on it, but it does still trickle out when turned off and water pressure is still present...and per the owners manual and all that I've read, this is an expected behavior.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 09:09 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silver suz
Real Goods/ Gaiam have the aerating showerhead with reduced flow as well as a handheld model. Has anyone ascually taken a bath? our tub is pretty deep. silver suz
silver suz is offline   Reply With Quote