Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-09-2015, 07:16 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
2006 31' Classic
2020 26' Flying Cloud
Lake Saint Louis , Missouri
Water Pump Stopped

Well I was in the middle of my shower (all soaped up) and the water pump quit running before I was able to rinse. Luckily, we were next to a water hookup and I was able to throw on some clothes and get hooked up to rinse.
I have no idea why the pump quit running. When I switch it on, there is no sound whatsoever. Any suggestions how to trouble shoot this problem? I checked all the 12 volt breakers and everything seems ok there. We just got this 2006 31ft Classic and we are learning as we go. Could there be another fuse or breaker besides the ones under the fwd couch. The pump is in the floor of the wardrobe and we are going to have to move a bunch of stuff to get to it. I really have not idea what to do when I gain access so any suggestions will be appreciated. I do have a VOM meter.
richarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 07:35 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Sounds like a pressure switch. On most pumps there is a screw adjustment on the front of the pump. Try messing with this. If the pump doesn't go on, check the voltage with a multi meter. If the pump has blown out the fuse, there is a short and you need to replace the pump.
On a 2006 trailer, you have likely worn out the pump. A replacement is available at an rv parts store for about $80. It is a do it yourself install, even for me and I am not a handy andy.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 08:02 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Water Pump Stopped

I would check to see if there is power at the pump before replacing the pump. If you have power to the pump, then check to see if you have power to the motor. Down stream from the pressure switch.
It could be as simple as a lose connection. Check the ground/common side to make sure it is tight where it connects to the skin of the coach.
You mentioned checking breakers. The pump is 12volt it should have fuses or auto reset circuit breakers. If they are glass fuses. Make sure they are tight in the holders. There may be an inline fuse as well.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 08:02 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Before spending a lot of money check the inline fuse right at the pump. If blown make sure to replace with the current amperage fuse. Keep in mind that fuses blow for a reason. May be something as simple as a transient voltage spike or a bit too much load on the pump. Good luck.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 10:12 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
For the pump to stop DEAD it has to be electrical. Check as noted above. Starting at the output side of the pump mounted pressure switch and working your way back to the panel till you have power. Input side of pressure switch, power from the on/off switch or switches, power to the on/off switches, power from the fuse. The point of no power will define the point of failure.

If however you have power on the output side of the pump motor mounted pressure switch the pump most likely has opened.

If you have 2 control switches. one on the monitor panel and one in the bathroom this diagram will help. Note the pump is the light in this circuit. With circuit the pump can be controlled by either switch. If both switches are in the same position the pump is on. Turning either one will turn it off. While the pump is off turning either one will turn the pump on.

If you start at the switch closest to the pump, likely the bathroom switch, you should have power on at least one terminal. Turning the switch should give you power on a second terminal also. If you can not get power to a second terminal the switch is bad. If there is no power there go to the other switch. There you should have power on at least two terminals and turning the switch should move power to the third terminal. If no power at all the problem is closer to the fuse panel. If power on one terminal and nothing a second the switch is bad.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 06:55 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
2006 31' Classic
2020 26' Flying Cloud
Lake Saint Louis , Missouri
Ok, I finally got around to emptying the wardrobe to get access to the pump. Turns out it was an inline 10 amp glass fuse. The fuse looked ok on visual inspection but the VOM showed it bad. There was a Camping world next door to our campground but they did not have this fuse in stock so I drove around till I found an auto parts store. Now I have some extra fuses, the pump works great, and I can finally rinse all this soap off - lol. Thanks for the advice from this group.
richarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 06:24 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Glad it was an easy fix. It seems that most of the electrical issues I have had in my trailer were traced down to blown fuses. Power surges and heavy loads do a job on them.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 06:27 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
At least you smelled good while waiting to rinse off! :-)
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote