Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2002, 06:32 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Water problems

After four months of restoration on our 1971 23' Safari, we took it out for a nice weekend and just got back yesterday. Everything went good except the water supply. I need some advice on figuring out how to fix the problem.
When I hooked up to city water, there was a big leak from above the belly pan just behind the wheel on the street side. When I used the water pump and the instead of hooking up the city water, water came out of the city water connector. I had replaced the water pump recently and hooked the input and output lines correctly. The pump works fine and furnishes water when we need it, but water still comes out the city water fitting.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Dan
Dbraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 06:51 AM   #2
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Sounds like the "check-valve" might be the problem. I'm told that on my '73, its right in that vicinity, although I haven't had a chance to check it out myself yet. I was having some leakage out the city water connection when running the pump, too. It was just a dribble; when the pump was activiated, it would pressurize the system and shut off ok; but then it would come on in about 3 minutes, re-pressurize the lines, then shut off.

anyway, seems to make sense that the check valve could be a "weak spot", not preventing back-flow from the pump, and leaking from the city pressure.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 11:59 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Check valve

Chuck,
Thanks for the reply. What should be done to the check valve? Also how do I identify it? My pump acts like the one you described.

Dan
Old 09-30-2002, 12:32 PM   #4
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
I don't know what it looks like, as I haven't actually laid eyes on it myself , but I'm sure you'll know it when you see it. at least, that is my plan. look for something with 1/2 inch copper line connected to it on both ends, and that is dripping water! LOL!it needs to be removed and replaced. It may be a standard thing that can be had from any repair place. I seem to remember someone actually posting an AS part number that they got out of their service manual. (I gotta buy one of those, too).
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 03:38 PM   #5
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Water Dribble

Hi Dan,

I had the exact same problem like you when hooked to city water. I found the following problems:
The water drip when using the pump was caused by a defective one way valve somewhere in the system. I purchased a new hose connection and screwed it on the city water input pipe, and it took care of the problem. The hose connection has a one way valve in it, plus a cap so you can close it off while travelling. I found it at Camping world.
The other situation was a overpressure valve doing it's job. I am referring ot the drip behind the rear wheel. The trailer has a valve with a hose attached to it next to the water heater. If the city water pressure gets too high, then the relief valve will let off excessive pressure, resulting in a drip behind the left rear wheel. It is doing it's job...... So, I solved this by using an outside pressure regulator right at the faucet, before the hose that goes to the trailer. This way the hose is protected as well.
Ideally one should remove and clean the pressure regulator and relief valve on an older trailer. I will do this when camping season is over. One or the other items will probably need replacing.
Old 09-30-2002, 04:25 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Thanks for the advice. Is the relief valve hose a small clear rubber hose? I have seen one back there but didn't know the purpose. Also, where is the relief valve? I can see a brass barrel shaped item in back or the water heater. It is about one and a half inches in diameter and about two inches long, connected to the copper supply line. How do you clean it?
Dan
Old 09-30-2002, 04:58 PM   #7
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Yes, the relief valve has a drain hose on it. At least mine does.......
It needs to be taken out to be cleaned, most likely it's got years of crud and deposits from hard water on it. I am not sure how yours is mounted, mine must be de-soldered and re-soldered to go in and out. I am going to score some random pipe and learn how to do this. The pressure regulator is the bulb type looking thing with the screw and the tab on it. This, too might need cleaning and adjusting. This unit has flange fittings on it, so it can be unscrewed. You might check if the drip actually comes out of this clear hose, or if something else is leaking. Mine only leakes when the water pressure is very high, like in some of the county parks we go to.
There is a thread on this with pictures.
Good luck!
Old 09-30-2002, 06:43 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Maybe this can help as a "Go By" Example. From my '65.

-BobbyWright
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	watersystem2.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	603  

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2002, 06:12 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

What a wonderful thing this Forum is. I feel like I have all the Airstream mechanics right here in my back yard. Thanks for the advice and expecially the photo. I now know what the plumbing things are back by the water heater. Now just got to go fix them.
Dan
Old 10-01-2002, 06:47 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Dan,
If I remember correctly, Inland RV Andy mentioned in an earlier thread that there are at least 2 check valves between the pump and the city water connection. I have a PAR pump and had been making my city water connection at my hose reel just behind the roadside rear wheels of my 31' Excella 500. After someone told me that the other female hose connection just in front of my grey/blackwater drain was also a city water connection, I tried it. That's exactly what is was; however, once I disconnected the hose, water would run out that connection at a slow rate when I used the pump. My guess was that at least the checkvalve near the rear hose connection had developed a tear or crumbled once I made that connection. I have not put in a new checkvalve yet but have used a plastic male hose plug found at a garden center to prevent water from going out that way. Cheap fix until later.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 06:15 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Water leak

Craig,
Thanks for the info. I like the idea of just plugging the water inlet to stop the drip. When we got home, I hooked up our garden hose to the city water inlet and had no problem with water overflow. It must have been excessive pressure at the campground up at Defeated Creek.
Better start scouting for deer and cleaning your muzzle loader. Won't be long.
We hunt down in Linclon County, lot of deer.
Dan
Old 10-25-2002, 03:42 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

relief valve

Took out our leaking and not working water heater and trashed it. Then just connected the inlet and outlet of the hot water line with a length of stainless braided line until I can find a good price on a water heater. In doing the repairs I noticed a lead at the top of the relief valve, it was rusted and the top was open. Can't find one locally so just plugged the fitting with a threaded brass plug after removing the valve. Is there any problem using the water system like this? I will be using an inline pressure guage at the water spicket in campgrounds.
Dan
Old 06-24-2007, 04:56 PM   #13

1976 31' Sovereign
Raleigh , North Carolina
Unhappy Very much a Newbie!!!

Hello Everone! This is my first time on this site and I have been an Airstream owner for two days! I couldn't be happier! My family just got a 1976 Sovereign. It's beautiful! But, I feel totally defeated in understanding what I need to do to take care of her. After reading so many posts....... I'm afraid I can't properly care for her. Any suggestions for books, manuals, etc? Thanks!
hobanfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 04:55 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobanfamily
Hello Everone! This is my first time on this site and I have been an Airstream owner for two days! I couldn't be happier! My family just got a 1976 Sovereign. It's beautiful! But, I feel totally defeated in understanding what I need to do to take care of her. After reading so many posts....... I'm afraid I can't properly care for her. Any suggestions for books, manuals, etc? Thanks!

You can purchase a "service manual" from a few dealers, such as us.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 02:15 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2009 20' Flying Cloud
San Rafael , California
Hello! I have a question about water heater. We have a new 2009, 20 flying cloud. Great rig we've been dreaming to own for many years. Finally we bought one. Everything works great except the heater?! It has electronic ignition switch in the bathroom. All tanks are full. The LP valves are open, all appliances are in good working order, bypass valve closed. And still no hot water?! The water flows normally from the hot side of the faucet . The red light goes on and off three times and when its off I can hear that the spark tries to ignite, but then the light on the electronic switch( in the bathroom) goes on and after that nothing happens it stays on. It seems like the gas from LP Bottles is not getting to the spark. Please help, maybe there is another gas valve somewhere? Or maybe it is a factory defect or something else. I am new to the airstream. Dmitry
KAMPOTA s is offline   Reply With Quote