Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-12-2013, 12:53 PM   #21
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
OK, where is the AS original regulator on a trailer and anyone got a picture of it?
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:20 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Just behind the "wall" where the city water inlet hookup is...in your unit....older ones are different.

SHURflo Wall Mount Pressure Regulator Water Entry : Amazon.com : Automotive

Cant see it here...all one piece on the back of this.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:35 PM   #23
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Rich,

Never eyeballed it, have to take a look. Thanks.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:39 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
It would be close to the water inlet. On the center bath units, it is under the closet floor across from the bathroom.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:26 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Perry, Op's is a 2007...the metal remotely installed brass ones were long gone by the 2000s. His (and mine) are plastic and rubber and part of the fill assembly. They often leak...mine did and I resealed it and got an in line external one.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 05-12-2013, 06:57 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Here is what I installed.

Shop Watts 3/4-in Bronze Female In-Line Pressure Reducing Valve at Lowes.com=

Perry
Old 05-12-2013, 06:59 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I have always used an external regulator. I hook it up first, next to the city water valve. In my mind I may be protecting my hose as well.
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:02 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
I got a similar Watts unit, but already had fittings and a gauge fitted. Mine is external and inline before the AS city water inlet. It rests in the belly wrap compartment and the hose exits through a "door" in the bottom of the compartment.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:02 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Did you put a gage on it to see if it actually works?

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
I have always used an external regulator. I hook it up first, next to the city water valve. In my mind I may be protecting my hose as well.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:04 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
On my 77 Argosy the water first went through a Watts type pressure regulator. Then the water went through a 50 pound blow off valve that drained to the outside with the excess pressure. After that, the water went to the inside plumbing.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:40 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Ventport, was your Argosy ventport a factory thing or was it added? When I get around to fixing my plumbing proper, I may add a blow off or relief valve.

Perry
Old 05-13-2013, 06:53 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Quote:
Ventport, was your Argosy ventport a factory thing or was it added? When I get around to fixing my plumbing proper, I may add a blow off or relief valve.

Perry
It was factory from what I can tell. It's to the upper right of the water pressure regulator. It has a line that runs through the belly pan for the excess pressure to exhaust through.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plumbing.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	237.7 KB
ID:	185674  
Old 05-13-2013, 06:55 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The water heater has a relief valve built in. If it (water heater) is the cause of the over pressurization. It may be the first thing to look at.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:58 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
So what we have learned from all this is you need an accumulator, pressure regulator, and relief valve in addition to the relief valve already on the water heater. The relief valve (RV) would take care of water heater related issues as well as failure of the incoming water pressure regulator. Most homes could use the same things. A lot of home related water flooding problems are busted pipes from poorly made appliances like water delivery systems on the newer refrigerators. I have had problems at home with ice maker tubing and connections and I have some friends that had to redo their kitchen because a water filter on the fridge busted and flooded the kitchen while they were gone. Which brings up another issue. If you are going on vacation, TURN OFF THE WATER HEATER AND THE WATER AT THE METER.

It is also not a bad idea to turn off at the breaker box any 220V appliances and anything else you know you won't be using while you are gone. Things like the stove the dryer etc.

Perry
Old 05-14-2013, 03:21 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:

Perry
No, I have not put a gauge on it, but it seems to be slowing down or restricting or doing something to the water. The water seems to strain or struggle to go through it. So I don't know the PSI at the end of it, only that it is less than it would have been. Ain't never blowed nothin' up, yet. I thought regulators were designed for amcertain PSI- say 40 or 50. I don't know how a guy would know if it really works without a guage, but i don't have one. The other brand trailer we had before didn't have a built in regulator. According to this forum the Airstream does. I did not know that before. So I am using 2 regulators? I wonder if that funny looking little bypass by the water heater may be this regulator? There is 2 sets of piping that appear to come from and go to the same destination. The bottom pipe has a valve on either end, and the top piece has some type of brass fitting. Would this be a regulator and the valves be a bypass? Things that make you go hmmm...
Old 05-14-2013, 06:12 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I think your extra plumbing around the water heater is a bypass the you open and then drain the water heater. Now your water will not fill the water heater and you can pump antifreeze through the pipes to winterize. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with just blowing out the pipes with water and calling it good but I am no yankee.

Perry
Old 05-14-2013, 06:48 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
The factory blow off /bypass valve after the regulator on my Argosy was set at 50 lbs from the sticker on the top. The water heater blow off valve says 125 lbs on it, so that would blow off as a last resort before the pipes burst.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:30 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
I think your extra plumbing around the water heater is a bypass the you open and then drain the water heater. Now your water will not fill the water heater and you can pump antifreeze through the pipes to winterize. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with just blowing out the pipes with water and calling it good but I am no yankee.

Perry
No. There is the water heater bypass, and then there is this other section of pipe below. It is one pipe. Then a valve. Then the pipe has a t fitting. There is a straight piece of pipe at the bottom. There is a piece of pipe with a brass fitting of some type in the middle at the top. Both then come to another valve. With the valves turned one way, the water flows straight through unaffected. With the valves turned the other way the water flows through that little brass thingamajigger. Either way, the water comes from the same source and goes to the same destination, but I have a choice as to whether it goes through the little brass thing or not. Some time after I figure out how to post pictures and I am in the trailer I will take a picture. I am using the term pipe for what is probably really PEX tubing.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:47 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
SW , Missouri
Quote:

Perry
I use the Camco inline regulator and installed a gauge to verify that it works. It regulates to 40 psig which isn't adjustable. Pressure drops to about 30 psig with a large demand such as filling the toilet or running the kitchen sink wide open.

My house pressure is about 80 psig. The inline regulator will set at 40 psig and won't rise even with no flow. If it ever goes bad, replacing it is extremely easy. After verifying that it worked, I decided not to re-install an on-board regulator.
Kyle401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:07 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Do you have a model number or link to this thing?

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle401 View Post
I use the Camco inline regulator and installed a gauge to verify that it works. It regulates to 40 psig which isn't adjustable. Pressure drops to about 30 psig with a large demand such as filling the toilet or running the kitchen sink wide open.

My house pressure is about 80 psig. The inline regulator will set at 40 psig and won't rise even with no flow. If it ever goes bad, replacing it is extremely easy. After verifying that it worked, I decided not to re-install an on-board regulator.