Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-13-2011, 11:53 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Water Pressure Regulator

I came across this water pressure regulator. It looks like it would work great. Preset to 40 psi and made of brass and stainless steel. Attaches to the faucet or one could attach it to the hose connection on the trailer.
It's not cheap $57.75 but could save your system if the internal one fails.
It is sold by Gemplers; the part #192109.
Just click on the picture, it will take you to their web site.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 12:02 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Pulaski , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
I came across this water pressure regulator. It looks like it would work great. Preset to 40 psi and made of brass and stainless steel. Attaches to the faucet or one could attach it to the hose connection on the trailer.
It's not cheap $57.75 but could save your system if the internal one fails.
It is sold by Gemplers; the part #192109.
Just click on the picture, it will take you to their web site.
I checked the Watts site and in the specs it says it also decreases the flow. Typically the flow reduction is a common problem on water pressure regulators designed for RVs. It would be nice to know how much the flow is reduced by this regulator.

I built a water regulator for use on the RV by purchasing a standard regulator designed for residential use (N45B Water Pressure Reducing Valves , Water Pressure Reducing Valves - Standard Capacity, Water Safety & Flow Control - Watts). You have to add a few parts to add hose connections but it is pretty easy. The total cost was around $40 or so. You can get the regulator and adapters from either Home Depot or Lowes.
07' Classic 31, 11' Dodge 3500 Cummins
au_ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 01:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Rating

The specs on it say 4gpm or 240gph, more than enough for an RV. It would fill a 6 gallon water heater in 1.5 minutes. Most of the new shower heads and faucets limit flow to 2gpm.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 01:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
This is Winning..
Old 03-13-2011, 01:27 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Spring Green , Wisconsin
By definition, the quantity of flow is reduced when the pressure is reduced. The flow through a conduit is calculated by multiplying the velocity by the cross sectional area of the conduit and is normally stated in gallons per minute. Pressure reduction results in a lower velocity and reduced flow. The water pressure is what moves the water through the conduit.

If you buy one of these, I'd be interested in what pressures you experience at various campgrounds. Unless you camp in very hilly or mountainous camprgrounds, I'd be surprised if you encountered more than 40 psi at the connection. I've designed many public and private water distribution systems in the past 40 years and, more often than not, the challenge is to provide adequate pressure in an ecomical system rather than reduce pressure to an allowable level.