Old 01-21-2011, 12:12 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I agree with Noreen

If you use a compressor other than the one in the trailer to charge the system: it should be an oil free or instrument type compressor. The pancake type compressors you see at Home Depot are oil free. You also need to make sure that the pressure doesn't get too High when using an outside compressor. I would think that the original system has some kind of pressure relief to keep this from happening. The system may have a water pressure regulator as well.

I think we are all a bit confused about what the problem is with your system. Are you not getting water?

Old 01-21-2011, 06:06 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
sherman oaks , California
You guys are great. You have answered all my questions about this circulating pump. It does work. It does circulate the water thru the system. The shower is a little drip but maybe I didnt let the air pressure build up enough. I got it!
I'm buying a water pressure reg tomorrow and I'm going to try it all out.
I'll let you all know but I know, you're all right! This is great!
Ahhhhhhh the little things.... 'Til tomorrow
Thanks a million!

Old 01-21-2011, 07:26 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1962 28' Ambassador
enosburg , Vermont
The pic of the pump sure does look like an air compressor. If you're going to try to use the air pressure system to flow water at a acceptable rate the system must be well sealed to hold at least 30 lbs psi, and the old air pump must be able to produce 30+psi. You have'nt mentioned a pressure gauge in the system to determin the pressure in the tank. If the "air nipple" on the fill head is like the ones I've seen it accepts a common tire pressure gauge [the best old air systems had a pressure gauge built into the fill cap]. Try this. Add a few gals of water to the tank, seal it up, turn on the air pump, if the pump shuts off check the pressure at the air nipple with a tire gauge. 20+ lbs pressure your good on the tank/pump. If the pump won't shut off within 10ish minits start looking for system leaks of either air or water. If no leaks and good pressure in the tank and the pump continues to run, probably the high pressure limit cut off switch on the air pump is bad. If no leaks and very little pressure in the tank the pump is bad, or possibly the air line between pump & tank is kinked or pluged.. Cold hard fact is the air press system was less than ideal when new. I only kept the one in my Catalina 'cause the rig is 100% original. Otherwise it would be a common on demand water pump, far less hassle.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:24 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
sherman oaks , California
Thanks to all! I'm fully pressurized w no leaks. The circulation pump works fine. Shuts off at 33lbs and then back on some where around 22 or so. Takes a liitle bit longer than 10 mins to work up to 33 but we get there.
Shower is goooooood.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:52 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
Looks like you have it all figured out and it is working to your satisfaction. I have the same air pump in my '61 Safari and I like the pressure system.
Now you might need to do a little maintenance on the compressor if it has not been used or serviced in some time. Don't worry, nothing major or complicated. If you notice from the diagram in Markdoane's post there is a crankcase and oil fill plug. I would advise making sure it has oil before running it any more, and change the oil so you can be sure you are not doing any damage to the compressor. Easy to do. The hardest part may be finding 20 weight oil.
And then enjoy the shower some more.
Sam
Old 01-28-2011, 06:35 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1962 28' Ambassador
enosburg , Vermont
Allright! Do'nt be to concerned about > 10 mins to pressure up. The lower the water level in the tank the longer it takes that little pump to get the tank up to pressure. By all means take samb's advice. That omission was very foolish of me. Allways check the lube 1st on any machine. I expect my dear old dad to reach up out of the grave tonite and smack me up side the head for that one.

Tags
circulating pump, pressurized