Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-08-2007, 08:44 AM   #1

Water line blockage

I flush my hot water tank yearly on my 28' CCD. This time the calcium clogged some of my water lines. Just a trickle at the sink, both hot and cold water, and the shower. I've taken the lines apart under the sink, ran a thin wire through the sink sprayer, and still no running water. Any advice out there?
robtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 08:53 AM   #2
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
replace or clean your aerators on your faucets.

i keep a ziplock baggie of them in my junk drawer for just such an occurance.

john
Old 09-08-2007, 09:14 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Crossville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by robtan
I flush my hot water tank yearly on my 28' CCD. This time the calcium clogged some of my water lines. Just a trickle at the sink, both hot and cold water, and the shower. I've taken the lines apart under the sink, ran a thin wire through the sink sprayer, and still no running water. Any advice out there?
Robtan,
White vinegar will dissolve the calcium, (actually most likely lime) and return things to operate like new. Take the offending part, ie shower head, faucet aereator, etc. and put them in as small a container as you can and be able to completely cover the item with vinegar. Let them soak for 24 hours, take and rinse thoroughly. If it isn't clean, repeat, then reassemble and be happy!
steelbird312 WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
2013 31" Classic limited
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 09:16 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

wasco , Oregon
robtan----Another place you might want to check is on the upstream side of the screen that is between the water tank and the pump. On mine, the screen was clean but the hose on the tank side of the screen was clogged with plastic cuttings from the manufacturing process; cleaned it out and have had great water flow from then on.........

-------Cheers--Bob
Old 09-08-2007, 09:57 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Last year I found barely a trickle from my kitchen and bathroom sinks. I flush out the hot water tank twice a year and did the normal clean out the faucet screens but this did not help. Over a period of time calcium had been building up in the bypass line attached to the lower cold water inlet on the water heater and it had backed up some 3 inches into the hose. I assume flushing out the tank also played part in this so I must remember to turn the water on to flush any that might go back into this area. Anyway, I had to take the mattress off and unscrew the wood top in order to get to these hoses with a wrench. I used a coat hanger on the flexible lower hose which I could not even blow through. That took care of the problem. I have since simplified getting to this area by adding new wood and a screw-on boat deck lid. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	waterheateraccess 009.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	44658  

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 09:59 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Your check valve that is connected to the HW tank may also be clogged. They don't clean very well, so I would replace it with a new, solid brass model from Camco. They have the only all-metal unit for RV use.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 11:18 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbird312
White vinegar will dissolve the calcium
Those denture cleaning tablets work good also. You can throw a couple in your toilet water closets at home too

PS They go all fizzy and are also more fun to watch than vinegar.
Old 08-16-2020, 02:31 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Good day everyone. This is Kani, I haven't been here in a while but it’s good to know you are still here! yay
We are getting “Mama Choca” ready for our 41st anniversary camping trip in Oct. Last night after cleaning her up my husband hooked up our water hose and nothing is coming out! We made sure all the valves were set in the right positions. We are running pex pipe. Help please <3
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 05:56 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Have you tried the pump?
You may have a bad pressure regulator. Or a stuck check valve where you connect the hose.
Is there a valve for shutting off city water?
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 11:18 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
1964 26' Overlander
1965 26' Overlander
Wenatchee , Washington
Water line clogged AGAIN!!!

Ugh.
This is a recurring problem in my 2000 Safari.
Two-three years in a row now. I can't get to the bottom of it.
Little to no water flow anywhere. It started in the kitchen. At first the sprayer worked better than the faucet. Then water pressure poor everywhere. Over the last
1. Changed the cartridge in the faucet.
2. Cleaned the aerators.
3. Ran vinegar through the system.
4. Cleaned out the strainer at the water pump.
5. Replaced the water pump.
6. Flushed the hot water heater at least twice. Lots of 'sand' came out the the first time. Less the second time.
7. Removed the cartridge in the faucet again and cleaned it.
8. Repeat various items above.

Finally brought the trailer out of storage this year and arrgghhh no water pressure again.
I feel like the only thing I can think of I haven't done is to replace the water heater. It is probably the original one.
I also see a note above about the check valve connected to the water heater. I'm don't know exactly where that is but I'm sure I'll find it eventually. Sigh.
Any other thoughts?

That good news is that I'm getting good at items 1-8 above ! :-)

Oh I should add that this happens both when using City water and when using water from the onboard system.

Thanks for your help.

Laura
ljaecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 12:01 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
1964 26' Overlander
1965 26' Overlander
Wenatchee , Washington
Water line clogged AGAIN!!!

For posterity since no one is reading this thread anymore. :-(
I replaced the pump again and this time the water heater. When the WH was disconnected a ton of sand came out of it. I previously flushed and drained the tank a number of times so I'm surprised at how much there was.
The problems have been ongoing since we acquired the trailer from someone in California three years ago. It's almost like someone filled the WH with sand on purpose. I can't imagine how so much got in the system.
Crossing my fingers that the troubles with the water system are over!
Cheers,
Laura
ljaecks is offline   Reply With Quote