Old 05-29-2006, 07:46 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Mobile , Alabama
Send a message via AIM to joyegail Send a message via MSN to joyegail Send a message via Yahoo to joyegail
Water leak in '68 Safari

I just bought this 68 Airstream safari and hooked a water hose up to the water intake. The faucets inside work, but I also have water pouring out the bottom of the trailer in the front, as well have water seeping up into the carpet under the table in the dining area. How do I even get into the bottom of the trailer to figure out why there is water pouring out? There doesn't seem to be an opening under there anywhere.

Deb

Old 05-29-2006, 07:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyegail
I just bought this 68 Airstream safari and hooked a water hose up to the water intake. The faucets inside work, but I also have water pouring out the bottom of the trailer in the front, as well have water seeping up into the carpet under the table in the dining area. How do I even get into the bottom of the trailer to figure out why there is water pouring out? There doesn't seem to be an opening under there anywhere.

Deb
It is probably all above the floor. You might need to remove the couch in order to see where it is leaking. I believe the pipes are all above the floor level and run along the side, if my memory serves me correctly. The fresh water tank should be below the couch area. Remove the arm rests on the couch and you will probably see a hint of some of the piping.

"A safe camper is a Happy Camper"

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Silvertwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 08:46 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Mobile , Alabama
Send a message via AIM to joyegail Send a message via MSN to joyegail Send a message via Yahoo to joyegail
water leak

Thanks, I'll check that out tomorrow.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Armada , Michigan
Thats where the water pipes intersect the water pump and freshwater tank, if yours is anything like mine. Pull up the couch or dinette on the streetside and you should see the water pump . What is probably going on is you have a leak, either in the pump, the pipes or the valves. Just pull up that seating and all should be revealed. be prepared to do some new plumbing work, but shouldn't take more than 5 or 6 trips to the hardware store to get it fixed!

Visit my Camping Blog!
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 09:47 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Mobile , Alabama
water leak

Directly beneath all of the couches, seats, etc, are storage compartments, with these plastic pull out bins. No water pipes visible. But I'll have to wait til daytime to check further, have no power connected at present. Will look tomorrow and post the results.

Deb
Old 05-30-2006, 12:04 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Mobile , Alabama
water leak

Went out and looked anyway, dark or no dark. I found the water pump where you said, and found where it was leaking. The hose wasn't attached to the pump. It has a hose clamp and I'm going to wait til daytime so I can see what I'm doing. Will reattach the hose and check it again for leaking.

thanks,

Deb
Old 05-30-2006, 07:14 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Mobile , Alabama
water leak

Okay, I fixed the leak at the water pump, now no leak there, but it's leaking around the kitchen sink, can't figure out where. The copper pipes that lead to the faucet there don't seem to be wet, but water is dripping, no, pouring off the underside of the sink, without the faucets having been turned on. Where under there could it be leaking from?

Deb
Old 05-30-2006, 08:22 PM   #8
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
Photos Please!

I would like to see some photos of the 68 you have. It's bringing back a lot of memories talking about it!

Once you get a little more familiar with the forum you can post them on here and every one can see them.

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Old 05-31-2006, 08:54 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Mobile , Alabama
pictures of my safari

I'll try to take some before pics today. How do I post them on here?

Deb
Old 05-31-2006, 09:35 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
faucet

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyegail
Okay, I fixed the leak at the water pump, now no leak there, but it's leaking around the kitchen sink, can't figure out where. The copper pipes that lead to the faucet there don't seem to be wet, but water is dripping, no, pouring off the underside of the sink, without the faucets having been turned on. Where under there could it be leaking from?

Deb
Hi Deb, Its very possible its the faucet. The inside seals can go bad or the tubes inside can split. Hope this is use full.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 11:29 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Armada , Michigan
The nuts that hold the copper pipes to the faucet have split over the winter on mine and leaked when I pressurized the system. Problem is, you have to first remove the sink to really get at those nuts. Taking out the sink involves unscrewing the drains (DON"T cut the drain pipes, they unscrew), and then undoing the wing nuts that hold the sink to the counter top.

Visit my Camping Blog!
Old 05-31-2006, 11:29 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Armada , Michigan
Hey, Bill, does this mean you're going to get an Airstream again?

Visit my Camping Blog!
Old 05-31-2006, 10:41 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Mobile , Alabama
Leaky sink

I had already figured it might be the faucets. And was planning to try that tomorrow. Took out all the old flooring today, found one rotted place in the bathroom, around and in front of the toilet. I'll have to remove the toilet to fix it, but I think all it needs is about a 2 and a half foot square cut out and replaced. And I have plenty of plywood to do it with. I decided to go with laminate, and have already bought that and the underlayment to do with it. After I get the leaks fixed, and the electrical hookup fixed, I'm going to paint the walls on the inside. Bought kilz to cover the mildew and paint in a nice turquoise to match the counter tops. Found some nice retro looking fabric to recover the seats and cushions. I'm getting really excited now about the results. Did have a question though. Will it hurt the originality to paint the woodwork? Or should I just refinish it and leave it natural?

Deb
Old 05-31-2006, 11:23 PM   #14
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by AYRSTRM2
Hey, Bill, does this mean you're going to get an Airstream again?
Probably not until the deal of a life time comes my way. I like Airstreams but I also like what I now have for the room it has.

There was a lot of work which I had to do on the one I have now; a lot more than I anticipated at first. I've just about got it ready for the road.

OH MY... I haven't even de-winterized yet.

Deb, I'm glad to hear you're coming along with yours. Have you found any windows yet?

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360