Old 02-05-2004, 07:59 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
Question Water Leak/Auxilary Tank Filling....

I just picked up a 1976 Caravanner last week and have been going through the unit. I purchased in SC and towed it back to FL, stopping to camp on the way back. I was told by the previous owner that all of the plumbing was in good working condition, unfortunately this is one of the items I missed when I picked up the unit. I started to realize there may be problems when a new toilet had been installed and did not realize that it had not been hooked up until I reached our camp site. A 1/2" NPT fitting for a toilet fitting is nearly impossibly to find in the middle of small town America. Once at home I was able to purchase the correct fitting and hook the toilet up. My problem now is when I hooked the water supply to the AS I have water rushing into the auxilary holding tank along with leaks under the AS. I have opened the valves, closed the valves and opened and closed the valve and water continues to fill the tank. I have not opened the pan under the trailer yet. Any tips or pointers as to why this water is entering the auxilary tank and possible causes of the leaking under the trailer would be greatly appreciated. Water is leaking at the rear of the trailer. Other than this problem and several other items on my repair list, I am a happy new Airstreamer.

actioncraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 07:25 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member
I had the same experience with my '89 Excella...the auxiliary tank filled and overflowed over everything.

Problem: the shut-off valve in the water pump was not working and allowed city water into the pump, then to the filler tube.

Solution: New water pump. Its just as cheap as getting the old one repaired. About $90

moporolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 05:41 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member
Moporola, thanks for the advise I will buy a new water pump and give it a try.
Old 02-09-2004, 02:31 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member
I poled the water pump tested it and tried a new one and the water pump does not seem to be the problem. Any other suggestions as to why the water is going straight to the auxilary tank?
Old 03-25-2004, 11:24 AM   #5
1972 25' Tradewind
Fayetteville , Tennessee
Send a message via MSN to ssolid Send a message via Yahoo to ssolid
Same problem

I had a similar experience (posted yesterday) and I had a crack in a hose that caused my leaks.

To answer one of your questions though, on my 72' there are 3 valves in the main plumbing area (under my sink). On my AS its the leftmost valve. I would be happy to send a pic if you would like.

I am totally new to this also (my first trip is this weekend) and I am still trying to figure things out on my rig.

Your pic looks great. That is one fine AS.
ssolid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 11:29 AM   #6
Just a member
1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64

I would start looking at all of the plumbing valves. I do not know if your trailer has a single low point drain for the tank and the cold piping. It could have a valve that joins the systems together. Remember this is a caravaner, they did some different things on it. A fill valve to add fresh water to the tank while hooked up could be one of them.

I would start by diagramming all of the water lines, where they go, how they are connected, and how the water should flow. Once you do that I bet the answer will jump right out at you!

Brett G
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote