Old 06-26-2012, 11:07 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Weatherford , 76086
Question Water inlet leaking?

Hi Everybody,

After taking the 72 overland out for second time I think I have got in a fix.

Trying to back into the small space I was bumping aganist rocks and dirt and bent pan underneath trailer. When finally go in space I immediately got out and hooked up water hose. It could have been a fire hose. Lots of pressure. I didn't leave it this way but just a second or so and realized the problem and put my pressure restrictor on my fresh water hose.

When got back home noticed water running out of my freshwater hose inlet located in rear by bumper. I then put water in toliet and the water I put in toliet seems to be coming out the place where I hook the freshwater hose to. This is grossing me out. Anybody got any ideas. I am a train wreck.

Thanks for any thoughts,

Oilcan:

Old 06-26-2012, 01:07 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Water inlet leaking?

Greetings oilcan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilcan View Post
Hi Everybody,

After taking the 72 overland out for second time I think I have got in a fix.

Trying to back into the small space I was bumping aganist rocks and dirt and bent pan underneath trailer. When finally go in space I immediately got out and hooked up water hose. It could have been a fire hose. Lots of pressure. I didn't leave it this way but just a second or so and realized the problem and put my pressure restrictor on my fresh water hose.

When got back home noticed water running out of my freshwater hose inlet located in rear by bumper. I then put water in toliet and the water I put in toliet seems to be coming out the place where I hook the freshwater hose to. This is grossing me out. Anybody got any ideas. I am a train wreck.

Thanks for any thoughts,

Oilcan:
I am not certain, but what you describe sounds quite familiar . . . I had a similar problem that I encountered with my Minuet. There is a pressure regulator valve in the plumbing system . . . located just inside of the coach on the incoming city water line is a pressure regulator valve that also functions as a backflow prevention system. Usually when an over-pressure incident is encountered the valve opens and sends a stream of water out through an attached hose that exits the bellypan. When the valve failed in my Minuet, it evidently failed in an open position with the backflow prevention disabled. The evidence of this problem was that water would gush out of the city water attachment point whenever the coach's water pump was operated (a temporary fix was to install the plastic plug in the city water fitting).

I don't know that this is the issue with your coach, but the description sounds quite similar. When I replaced the pressure regulator in the Minuet, I also replaced the valve in the Overlander as well. I now carry the Overlander's working valve as an emergency replacement in my parts bin.

Kevin

P.S.: The pressure regulator is a standard plumbing part that I was able to obtain at my local plumbing supply dealer.

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:44 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Fort Lauderdale , Florida
did this work?

Hi there,

the gentleman I bought the airstream from had a similar issue--running aground and then the city water won't work--water dripping out of the back, it looks like underneath the back tank of my 67 sovereign. did the advice you got work? I want to try and avoid pricey repairs if possible....
Old 08-06-2012, 07:57 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Weatherford , 76086
Hi,

Yes it did work. I changed out the check valve which is on the street side of the AS at back by the bumper. I will try to take a picture and show you.

Oilcan