Old 10-22-2008, 05:58 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Water tank

The pump check valve is most likely item.Then just add a check valve from HD.
BUT if your trailer has an auto fill system to fill your fresh water tank from city water it could also be the auto fill valve is leaking.

jimmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:08 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Fresh water back flow

I have had the same problem and installed a valve in the outlet line from the pump. If we have a fresh water hookup, I close it. Otherwise, it's open for the pump to function.

2003 3/4 ton Suburban
6.0, 3.73

Bellingham, WA
alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:22 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
San Juan Capistrano , California
Are the pipes plastic? (2006 Bambi Safari)
Old 10-23-2008, 04:03 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2008 19' Safari SE
Ottawa , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by hampstead38 View Post
I think Dietz is right. I think most RV water pumps nowadays have the one-way valve built right into the pump. There should be a one-way valve between the water pump and the water tank that does not allow water from your curbside connection (municipal or private "shore" water) to flow into your tank. Any valve can fail over time. Personally, I'd rather have the valve separate from the pump, but that's just a personal preference thing.

Wet or dry, you should always be concerned about tank and line sanitation.

As for the problem NDM mentions, I doubt anyone is sneaking by and putting water in your fill tank. If you don't have a pressure reduction valve, it could be that the pressure where you have backflow is higher than the pressure the Airstream dealer used. In any case, the only way water can get into the tank is through the fill pipe or flowing back through the water pump past the check valve. If you are so inclined, you can always install an inline check valve between the tank and the water pump.
Based on the feedback I'm reading here the best solution is to install a cutoff valve on the line. That'll be one of my first projects in the spring when she comes out of hibernation.

Thanks everyone!
Old 03-12-2012, 08:27 AM   #19
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

POI....our pump check-valve leaked shortly after hooking up at home forcing water out the overflow.

Disconnected city water supply, used the pump on our first trip and it never happened again.....pump several gallons thru, may be worth it.

Bob

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but Iím the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC

Step aside Starbucks, this is a job for alcohol.
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:28 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Boulder , Colorado
This forum continues to amaze me. My neighbor in our current rv park noticed water leaking from the fresh tank fill (5 month old 27FB). I drained some water out of the fresh tank, and the next day it did it again. After much head scratching and not realizing that the pump is the common link between the city inlet and the fresh tank, I was stumped. A quick search on the forum turned up this thread and I feel much relieved to know that it is likely the check valve and not some bizarre leak back into the fresh tank.

Hate to sound dumb, but where exactly do I install an inline cut-off valve to put a stop to this nonsense of the fresh tank filling itself?
Old 03-20-2012, 07:24 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Boulder , Colorado
Update

I just checked and I have a winterizing kit installed at the pump. This includes a cutoff valve that allows hooking up a feed tube and putting it in a jug of the red stuff. Would closing this valve, and leaving the brass cap on (which is where the feed tube hooks on)act as a cutoff valve???
Old 03-21-2012, 09:25 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by motozen View Post
I just checked and I have a winterizing kit installed at the pump. This includes a cutoff valve that allows hooking up a feed tube and putting it in a jug of the red stuff. Would closing this valve, and leaving the brass cap on (which is where the feed tube hooks on)act as a cutoff valve???
FYI: Using the valve on the winterizing kit effectively acts as a cutoff and has stopped the backflow into the fresh tank.