Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2018, 07:37 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by mammothmama View Post
Ha! Opinions. Right. ;-)

Read your blog post. Super informative. Quick question. You say to install the pentek filter with .5 micron "after the water pump?"

Could I not just use it as an external filter? Or that's a problem because it would filter out the chlorine from the water and that untreated water would then sit in my tank, moist and warm and ready to replicate nasties?

Would I then be better to it as an external filter when on city water, but not when I'm using tank water?

I guess I'm looking for a way not to have to find where 'after the water pump' is located. ;-)

One other question. Are these filters regulated or certified that you know of to prove that they are authentic/worthwhile? Like certified organic? Good Housekeeping seal of approval? Anything?
Most filters you come across will be labeled NSF/ANSI 42. That doesn't mean as much as you might think, but it is a standard verified by there party testing.

http://www.nsf.org/consumer-resource...atment-systems

CE is also a label you'll see on filters indicating compliance to certain standards. It's self-policed (no independent testing required) so it doesn't necessarily mean much.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CE_marking

I generally take technical specs at face value, especially when backed up by lab testing. But beware of overblown marketing. Any time a company suggests a filter does "everything," that should invite a few questions. Any time a company claims a filter does remarkable things with magnets or "vibrations," well...

The position of the filter depends on what you want it to do. If you use a 0.5 micron filter prior to your tanks, you'll keep cysts and organics out of your tank. So far so good, but you want some chlorine in the tank for bacteria and viruses. But if you chlorinated your tank, now you don't have anything removing the chlorine before you use the water. If you don't mind a little chlorine in your water, that's probably fine.

A faucet carbon filter would remove aesthetic chlorine for drinking. But then, if you chose a half micron faucet carbon filter, what do you need the external filter for in the first place?

City water hookup is basically the only time I'd personally use an external carbon filter. But I don't use my city water hookup much. We boondock most of the time, and though we spend some time in parks, we don't stay for long stretches. I prefer to fill my tank and pump water through the internal filter I already have installed.

There's no right answer. There are a thousand different configurations. It just depends on what you want and what your concerns are.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 07:58 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Oh, and for what it's worth, you should avoid using a wrench to seal a filter housing. If your gasket is good (you can buy new ones) you should be able to seal a filter housing by hand. The wrench is for getting it apart later.

If you broke your housing, you probably overtightened it, or you exposed it to higher than rated pressure. You definitely want a pressure regulator for hooking up to pressurized city water.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:13 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
I have always used a whole house filter in-line from park water to AS. Change filter before each season Also our 2009 25FB Classic came with a drinking water with filter in the kitchen sink that I change out each season. We have had no problems with water. I’m amazed at what is in the filter housing at the end of the season of traveling
Old 07-15-2018, 05:22 AM   #24
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Seagull IV

I use a Seagull IV system. It is not cheap, but is compact and effective. This unit has a small stainless steel filter container that fits under the lavatory counter. There is a small faucet for drinking water. I added a PEX 'T' with a valve in the cold water line and the systems just threads onto it. (I have the valve for easily removing the unit for winterizing.) We first used it in our sailboat and moved it to our first AS - a 22FB Sport and it is now in our 25' Serenity.

We use it for city water and also for water from the fresh tank (small amount of chlorine added to the tank for extra safety) when dry camping. Each filter can do up to 1,000 gal, using it for only the drinking water and cooking, coffee, tea etc., you can likely get several seasons out of one replacement filter.

The water tastes as good or better than bottled water and saves the weight and expense of having to buy bottled water. We also use a Soda Stream for making sparkling water and carbonated soft drinks, again saving weight and space.

Click image for larger version

Name:	x-1F-2.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	316972

The 0.4 micron filter meets the EPA guide standard protocol for microbiological purifiers against bacteria, cysts and viruses as well as removing chemical and aesthetic contaminants including herbicides, pesticides, chlorine and foul tastes, odors and colors, for great tasting water on demand.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:48 AM   #25
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post
^
X2

First Season with THIS, does a great job and you get a replacement 1micron filter. 👍

FWIW...we still bring the important water from home.😏

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 07-15-2018, 06:55 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Adventure,
This is intriguing. Can you show some pictures on your install? I am currently bringing gallon bottle water for drinking as we only do short trips and this is working out fine for now.

But someday we will be retired and be able to do longer trips and at that point your solution would win out for cost/benefit.

Did you install in the bathroom because there was just more room there do easily do the install?

Also-tell me more about the soda stream. We favor club soda as a beverage of choice and are also bringing these along currently.

Thanks in advance

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:39 AM   #27
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
Adventure,
This is intriguing. Can you show some pictures on your install? I am currently bringing gallon bottle water for drinking as we only do short trips and this is working out fine for now.

But someday we will be retired and be able to do longer trips and at that point your solution would win out for cost/benefit.

Did you install in the bathroom because there was just more room there do easily do the install?

Also-tell me more about the soda stream. We favor club soda as a beverage of choice and are also bringing these along currently.

Thanks in advance
I chose the lavatory counter for Seagull IV for a few of reasons: laminate countertop for ease of drilling the one hole, saves counter space in the galley, ease of install of the canister and plumbing, needing drinking water in the lav for brushing teeth etc. The only disadvantage is getting water for the kettle or cooking (but not really an issue.)

The Soda Stream is available in Walmart (Canada) so likely in USA. The sparkling water is as good as any commercial product. If you like flavoured Soda there are many syrups available from cola to fruit. We like not having to vary Cas’s of Soda as well as finding a recycling spot for the empties. They have a proprietary co2 bottle but there are hacks for that using refillable paintball canisters

I can take pictures of the install early this week if you look me.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:05 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Thanks for the info, AdventureAS

Piggy Bank
Old 07-15-2018, 05:16 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Lancaster , California
@TheGreatleys Can you tell me what size fitting the OTG softener comes with? Id like to buy a pentek that has a complimentary fitting size so that I can use them in-line but don't see the OTG hose fitting size listed. I'm sure I could sort a different hose but Id rather not have to if I can order the right thing in one go.

@Piggy_Bank I'm a huge fan of the SodaStream, too. I got mine on Craigslist and at resale stores like Goodwill (I have several). Be aware, though that they are big and present a little bit of a storage/space issue in small areas, like my AS. I resolve this by keeping it under the dinette and only taking it out to make several bottles of water at a time.

I also tried this one, which is hand held and a lot more compact but found the small CO2 cannisters to be insufficient/wasteful for the amount of water I drink.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hamilton-...&wl13=&veh=sem

@Adventure.AS I really like the Seagull and will probably ask for it from Santa. It looks like a great long term solution for me and there's plenty of wasted space under the sink in the FB 22 (as you probably know since you had one) . Since I haven't had my AS very long, I am still working through a fairly long list of necessary To-dos (including a lot of Airstreaming!) so I don't have time to deal with the install right now anyway. Perfect thing for Santa to gift -- and hopefully he'll stick around for the install.
mammothmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:37 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
@TheGreatleys Can you tell me what size fitting the OTG softener comes with? Id like to buy a pentek that has a complimentary fitting size so that I can use them in-line but don't see the OTG hose fitting size listed. I'm sure I could sort a different hose but Id rather not have to if I can order the right thing in one go
It's a standard 3/4 garden hose thread. Female on the inlet, male on the outlet.

If you plan to add a Pentek sediment filter, I'd recommend getting the model with 3/4" fittings and getting a 3/4MPT x FHT adapter for the inlet and a 3/4 MPT x MHT adapter for the outlet. That should make a nice modular piece.

FWIW, I believe Camco makes a compatible filter housing with these fittings already installed. I always reference Pentek because thats what I used professionally and I like their stuff, but the Camco model would likely work fine for your purpose.

The female garden hose fitting on the inlet of the softener is removable. It looks like a 3/4" FPT once the fitting is removed, but I haven't verified the size. You should be able to mount a 3/4" filter housing directly to the softener by using a 3/4" NPT nipple (I'd use PVC for this, no metal). If you do that, then you'd need to take the filter cartridge out any time you wanted to backwash the softener. You don't have to backwash the softener every time you regenerate it. With a good prefilter, I doubt the softener would need to be backwashed more than once a year.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:43 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Lancaster , California
This is exactly what I was hoping to hear! Will post pics, and give credit to this awesome group of experts as soon as I get it all pieced together!

Mary Beth
Old 07-16-2018, 03:18 PM   #32
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Seagull IV Filter Installation

As promised, here are the pictures of the installed Seagull IV water filter.

Name:	Seagull IV Install 1.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	210.6 KB
ID:	317145

Name:	Seagull IV Install 2.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	199.6 KB
ID:	317146

Name:	Seagull IV Install 3.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	205.3 KB
ID:	317147

Name:	Seagull IV Install 4.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	242.4 KB
ID:	317148
Old 07-17-2018, 05:34 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
nice

This looks pretty straightforward, and I appreciate all of the info.

Piggy Bank
Old 07-18-2018, 11:31 AM   #34
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2018 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
Where does the softener come in?

Hello group,

I’ve been following along the thread and have a couple questions.

1. Where does the softener come in to play? (Where do you put it)

2. Why not install the Seagull under the kitchen sink? (I think you can take out that sprayer piece to fit it in?)

I don’t know how everyone gets copied on this message, so I’m hoping you all see this and someone can pitch in with suggestions. ~Thanks!
Coastalphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 11:48 AM   #35
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastalphoto View Post
Hello group,

I’ve been following along the thread and have a couple questions.

2. Why not install the Seagull under the kitchen sink? (I think you can take out that sprayer piece to fit it in?)

I installed the Seagull IV in the lavatory for a number of reasons. Here are some of them:
  • Laminate counter top was easier to drill than the Corian in the galley.
  • Easier to reach in our lavatory than if it were set far back in the galley.
  • Accessing the cold water line was easier in the lavatory.
  • Having pure water in the lavatory for drinking and brushing teeth was more useful.
  • Filling the kettle for coffee from in the lavatory is not a problem.
  • The Serenity has a combined faucet/sprayer in the galley.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:56 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Lancaster , California
@Coastalphoto, credit for what I'm putting togther goes to the smart people on this thread.

Bear in mind that I have the sport 22, so I don't have a lot of vertical space inside for storing the tanks (softener needs to be upright). We considered putting everything after the water pump, under the closet, but for now we just connect it to the campground/fill spigot prior to it entering the camper.

From the spigot, water will first go through the sediment filter, then through the softener, then into fresh water tank or to my city water line.

I used a male/male nipple (75 cents) to connect my pentek water sediment filter directly to the softener, so it makes an easy to carry unit. The softener comes with a handle, and I can carry everything using that.

@TheGreatleys and @Atomic13 feel free to send corrections, suggestions, etc.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180718_092400.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	286.4 KB
ID:	317452  
Old 07-19-2018, 08:01 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
@Coastalphoto, credit for what I'm putting togther goes to the smart people on this thread.

Bear in mind that I have the sport 22, so I don't have a lot of vertical space inside for storing the tanks (softener needs to be upright). We considered putting everything after the water pump, under the closet, but for now we just connect it to the campground/fill spigot prior to it entering the camper.

From the spigot, water will first go through the sediment filter, then through the softener, then into fresh water tank or to my city water line.

I used a male/male nipple (75 cents) to connect my pentek water sediment filter directly to the softener, so it makes an easy to carry unit. The softener comes with a handle, and I can carry everything using that.

@TheGreatleys and @Atomic13 feel free to send corrections, suggestions, etc.
Looks good. Can you fit the wrench on the filter housing? Careful not to break the nipple when removing the filter. It's a lot harder to get off after it's been pressurized for a while.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:02 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Lancaster , California
@Piggy_Bank,

Do you have a costco? I saw this yesterday and its a great deal. Usually the machine alone is more if you buy at full retail price. This set comes with a full co2 bottle and several reusable drinking bottles.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180717_174202.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	218.4 KB
ID:	317453  
Old 07-19-2018, 08:07 AM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Lancaster , California
I actually tightened the nipple fitting by spinning/rotating the sediment filter. I used teflon tape and was careful not to overtighten ... I think you warned me about that. Not sure who it was at this point.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:33 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
I actually tightened the nipple fitting by spinning/rotating the sediment filter. I used teflon tape and was careful not to overtighten ... I think you warned me about that. Not sure who it was at this point.
I mean this wrench to change the filter cartridge.

https://www.amazon.com/Pentek-SW-2-S.../dp/B003VT5GCE

If you can't fit the wrench on there, you'll have to unscrew the housing from the nipple every time you need to take the cartridge out.