Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-11-2008, 06:34 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Barren Springs , Virginia
Water Fill Problem

I recently bought a used 1979 Sovereign International that had been in storage for 20 years. Today upon filling my fresh water tank water began running from underneith on the curb side when the tank was filled. I used a water hose with a clear tube attachment that screws on the end of the hose. Water did run out where I was putting it in when full. The water did stop after a while and the fill gauge shows 3/4 tank level. Is there an overflow in the top end of the tank? And is there a drain on the tank somewhere? I read some of the other posts but I don't believe I caused this tank to burst.

The 12volt pump (PAR) works perfect. The PO had a new water heater installed as well as all new PEX water lines. The suction line from the pump going to the fresh water tank was unhooked. It appeared to have been unhooked to pump RV Antifreeze with.

If the tank is bad would would anyone know the usual cost for replacing it?
Trackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 06:40 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I don't know if the '79 is the same tank, but here is a link to Inland's 45 gallon fresh water tank:http://www.inlandrv.com/parts/14514-watertank_.jpg
The price shown is about $350 or so, but that is subject to change as time goes on.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Yes, an overflow.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 06:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Did you check fill hose going down to tank?
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 02:44 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Thanks for all the info.

Easyride. The fill hose is in excellent shape and no connection hoses are leaking.

Excella CM. Thanks for letting me know there is an over flow opening on the tank.

Overlander63. Thanks for the info on the tank from inlandrv. I have no idea what size the tank is in my unit. I am going to research it more. I have no service manual nor owners manual as yet.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:44 AM   #6
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
A little off topic Trackers, but where did you get the hose attachment? I would like to get or make one since I always wind up with an air bubble that cause the water to back up and spew out the air tube no matter how slow I have the water running. If you made it, can you give me the part sizes and length of clear tube?

Thanks in advance, Tom, AKA Minnie's Mate
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 12:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate View Post
A little off topic Trackers, but where did you get the hose attachment? I would like to get or make one since I always wind up with an air bubble that cause the water to back up and spew out the air tube no matter how slow I have the water running. If you made it, can you give me the part sizes and length of clear tube?

This might be what Tracker is referring to...from Camping World: Water Tank Fillers - Camping World

This product is also very handy...so you don't have to stand there and hold the hose in: Secure-Fill - Camping World

We have both and use each of them frequently, depending on the situation...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 02:44 PM   #8
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Thanks TB, Those are exactly what I had in mind. Now which one would be best...hmmm. I like the idea of the screw on, but the other is longer. Would 6" be long enough to keep the bubbles from forming and blocking the filler tube? Decisions, decisions.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 08-07-2008, 04:54 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Thanks TB, Those are exactly what I had in mind. Now which one would be best...hmmm. I like the idea of the screw on, but the other is longer. Would 6" be long enough to keep the bubbles from forming and blocking the filler tube? Decisions, decisions.
I just looked at ours to make sure, and sure enough...if you need a longer tube you could get a longer piece of plastic tubing from a hardware store and easily replace the shorter tube on the screw-on one...it just fits over the brass flange fitting...the screw-on one costs more, but it is made mostly from brass... You can also use it without actually screwing it on for quick fills like you'd use the other one...it has valve to close the water flow, and it also has a screen filter in it, too... We had the simpler one first, then found the screw on one, which I like because I don't have to stand there and hold the thing in the hole while the tank fills...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 06:14 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Quote:

Here is a link to the picture.
Water Tank Fillers - Camping World
Old 08-08-2008, 07:40 AM   #11
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Thanks again TB. I'll order the screw on secure fit when I get home from work and see if there is anything else my wife might need to go in with the order.
WBCCI# 4821