Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2010, 01:14 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1979 25' Tradewind
Blue Ridge , Georgia
water coming out pressure regualtor drain line when on city water

When I use water/water pump from my storage tank. All OK.
When I hook up to city water, water leaks from the drain line under my AS. This black plastic drain line is connected to the pressure regulator under the bathroom sink. This kicks out water if the city water supply hose is on a little or full blast. Is there a way to, maybe clean out the regulator? Is it plugged up? If I were to connect a shut off to the regulator drain line so water can not come out onto the ground, would it then blow back and wreck something? Any Ideas?
txstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:40 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
old corrosion - stuck in the open position.

suggest:
pull it out and replace
kennethowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:41 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

I had this happen too. If you can, get a water pressure gauge and measure pressure at hose. Walmart sells these and so do Ace hardware. Mine was set at 55 psi and city water was 110psi! I now use a hose mounted pressure reducer and all is well. If it is defective you can bypass it or replace if you can get to it. Good luck.
AirConditioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:07 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
hose mounted - yes

bypass / remove and re-route - yes
kennethowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:29 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1979 25' Tradewind
Blue Ridge , Georgia
I removed the whole regulator and drain line . Installed a Pex linein it's place. Hooked up to garden hose. All good. Going to get a regulator that screws on the end of the hose to control flow pressure. All good.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:56 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
My pressure regulator doesn't have a drain. Are you sure it's not the high pressure pop off that's leaking? Or the winterizing drain valve? Those have an exit tube.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by txstreamer View Post
When I use water/water pump from my storage tank. All OK.
When I hook up to city water, water leaks from the drain line under my AS. This black plastic drain line is connected to the pressure regulator under the bathroom sink. This kicks out water if the city water supply hose is on a little or full blast. Is there a way to, maybe clean out the regulator? Is it plugged up? If I were to connect a shut off to the regulator drain line so water can not come out onto the ground, would it then blow back and wreck something? Any Ideas?
Look for a "pop off" valve thats located near the water pressure regulator.

On the top of that valve you should see the number "111".

In time, that valve gives up, and then leaks when your trailer is hooked up to city water.

A replacement 111 valve, solves the problem.

It can be removed, if you wish, and the tubing can be plugged.

However, if you do that and have a sudden increase in water pressure from a city hookup, then you take the risk of bursting the copper tubing or a fitting that's soldered together.

When that happens, I assure you, it most likely will happen in a spot that you cannot easily reach.

The choice, or fix, as always, is yours.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 03:07 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1979 25' Tradewind
Blue Ridge , Georgia
Here's what I did. I cut the whole dang thing out. I removed the regulator and the pop off valve. I reblumbed with 1/2" PEX. Used a "shark bite" connection to connect to the indoor 1/2 " water distribution line and used another shark bite to connect it to a 90 degree elbow that went to my 5/8" copper compression fitting. Boy I will tell you, that SHark Bite is amazing! So easy to install and remove and does not leak a bit anywhere. Hooks into any 1/2 plumbing line such as PVC, Copper or PEX. Love that product! Get it at Home Depot. So all is good. No leaks. I am installing a pressure regulator that screws in to the end of my potable hose prior to AS entry.

Thanks again for all your help guys!