Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-22-2009, 06:52 AM   #1

1972 Argosy 26
Centre Hall , Pennsylvania
Water comes out the back bumper! 1972 Argosy

We have a 26ft 1972 Argosy trailor. It's been sitting in our garage for many years. We would like to dust it off and start traveling with the family. However, it needs some work.

* I de-winterized the water lines and hooked up the "city water" inlet. When I turned on the water source, water started pouring out from the back bumper. Does anyone know what that was all about???
Pneumatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 06:58 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pneumatos View Post
We have a 26ft 1972 Argosy trailor. It's been sitting in our garage for many years. We would like to dust it off and start traveling with the family. However, it needs some work.

* I de-winterized the water lines and hooked up the "city water" inlet. When I turned on the water source, water started pouring out from the back bumper. Does anyone know what that was all about???
Three things are possible.

1. One of the drain valves is still open.

2. The high pressure pop off valve is bad.

3. A water line has a break in it from possible freezing.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 07:00 AM   #3
Iwannagocamping

1979 31' Sovereign
Rineyville , Kentucky
I am new here, just starting out myself, but my guess is water out of the bumper after hooking up to the city supply is a broken pipe, the bumper is just the lowest point it ran to before finding it's way out.
Dakota's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 07:03 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
You've got a leak! (Sorry, trying to be funny) Look around as carefully as you can and just try to pinpoint where it's coming from. It could be from the copper pipe that runs between the hose connection and the trailer plumbing. It could also be the pressure regulator. You can also connect to an air compressor and watch/listen. You probably have a back storage compartment, right? Look around in there and you will probably find it. Good luck!
WBCCI #8481
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 07:05 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
Oh, one more thought. Inside the bathroom (and in the galley), there will be two screw valves (like a hose bib has). Make sure those are closed. They may have been left open accidentally when the trailer was last winterized. They are low point drains and if left open could definitely cause water to out the bumper area!
WBCCI #8481
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 07:08 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Water comes out the back bumper! 1972 Argosy

Greetings neumatos!

Welcome to the forums!

Another possible culprit is the water pressure regulator valve. It may have frozen (corroded) or been blocked by sediment or hard water deposits causing it to stop water flow and redirect through the relief port which can cause the condition you describe. Finding this valve can take some gymnastics as it is usually well hidden in the streetside corner closet/wwardrobe on the floor.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 07:47 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
Look under the closet, there are several lines and the pressure regulator in there. It's also posible that the lines to the rear sink have parted. Much harder to get to, but much closer to your leak. All the lines are copper. How good are you at sweating copper fittings?
dlb435 is offline   Reply With Quote