Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2017, 11:28 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Indianapolis , Indiana
Using the water tank fill location for city water hookup?

Howdy folks! I was curious if anyone has ever attempted, or would advise against replacing the freshwater tank fill port with you city water hookup.

Using something like this...
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...ry-chrome/7222

My 1970 Safari originally had the city water hookup mounted to the street-side rear frame and the tank fill located under the sink (also street-side). I don't plan on using the freshwater tank in the near future. I also understand the benefits to having a low point drain but I was curious if could accomplish the same thing using an electric instantaneous hot-water heater under the sink and rerouting the plumbing.

I'm essentially trying to kill 3 birds with one stone... not having to install a city water hookup and run plumbing through the floor, not having to patch the hole for the tank fill, and not having to run plumbing from the rear of the trailer to the hot water heater then back to the rear shower.

I'm about half-way through my frame-off restoration of the trailer and this site has been a huge help (long-time lurker, first time question-asker).

Thanks!
myergin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 06:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
You do not want to pressurized the fresh water tank. It will certainly be damaged.
Connect the city water inlet downstream from the pump.
Why would you run the water lines under the floor or am I reading this wrong.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 07:01 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1984 27' Sovereign
Central , Oklahoma
The item shown is what you would replace your old city water inlet with. Typically in a location near where the old one was such as corner side of trailer. Ditto on not pressurizing the tank.
Hiwheel Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 07:11 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Indianapolis , Indiana
I think you misinterpreted. I have no intention of pressurizing the tank, or even using it for that matter. I just want to move the location of city water inlet to where the old tank fill inlet was.
myergin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 07:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hi myergin: Welcome to Airstream forums. Most of us did not realize you were replumbing your vintage trailer. All we saw was a split fresh water tank and 30 gallons of fresh water spilled in your trailer.

Most campers have the city water on the street side rear. That is where I plumbed my 66 Trade Wind and my son's 69 Globetrotter. We both felt the fresh water tank is a big advantage when traveling. Our trailers make the best rest stop compared to a dirty truck stop. I believe your trailer will be worth less without a fresh water tank.

That said, plumbing a vintage Airstream is straightforward. I personally have never used a fresh water drain low point. I use the compressed air method that seems to work well for me. I don't trust getting the water out using just a low point drain. And I always use the 12v pump to fill the system (less water heater) with RV antifreeze. Another good reason to maintain your freshwater tank and 12v pump. But as we say in these Forums, your trailer, your rules!

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1406 Electrical New Twist Lock Plug.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	226.7 KB
ID:	279707  
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 01:41 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
Hi myergin: Welcome to Airstream forums. Most of us did not realize you were replumbing your vintage trailer. All we saw was a split fresh water tank and 30 gallons of fresh water spilled in your trailer.

Most campers have the city water on the street side rear. That is where I plumbed my 66 Trade Wind and my son's 69 Globetrotter. We both felt the fresh water tank is a big advantage when traveling. Our trailers make the best rest stop compared to a dirty truck stop. I believe your trailer will be worth less without a fresh water tank.

That said, plumbing a vintage Airstream is straightforward. I personally have never used a fresh water drain low point. I use the compressed air method that seems to work well for me. I don't trust getting the water out using just a low point drain. And I always use the 12v pump to fill the system (less water heater) with RV antifreeze. Another good reason to maintain your freshwater tank and 12v pump. But as we say in these Forums, your trailer, your rules!

David
I trust that you are using the pump to fill the system with anti-freeze, and NOT the fresh tank!
Cleaning a fresh water tank of anti-freeze would be a real 'adventure'.

trailer Trash waiting for Spring
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:50 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hi MelGoddard: My trailers have the suction side tee with a valve and hose fitting. I can drop the hose in a gallon of antifreeze and start the pump. It fills the whole trailer plumbing with RV antifreeze. I have red antifreeze coming out of every faucet. There is no antifreeze in the fresh water tank. Of course, I do pour antifreeze into every trap also. Standard winterizing process.

I find blowing the water out of the plumbing before I fill with antifreeze more effective than a low point drain.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:58 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
I don't know if I'm the one who's goofy or if it's the others who've already replied...but I don't read this question as if the OP is attempting to winterize.
I read it as if he's planning on retiring his fresh water tank and simply wants to install a hot water heat at that location.
I see nothing wrong with that idea unless you plan to sell the trailer some day, in which case the trailer will lose value because you will have diminished it's camping capability.
Using PEX tubing one can route-around many objects very easily, and if you wish to install a hot water heater in that location... have at it. Just connect it to the hot water system and enjoy it. Running water (cold) to the heater isn't as wasteful as you might be imagining, since it receives cold water regardless of location.
Keep the fresh water tank capability and don't use it if you so desire. No problem. (but don't pressurize it ever.)
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote