Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2013, 08:40 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2011 28' Flying Cloud
Kingston , Nova Scotia
Under sink filtration

Hell everyone
While returning my filter cartridge under the sink this spring I had the fitting on the mount break.
It seems to me the tubing used is to stiff for this fitting and it broke off.
I want to see about replacing this filter and would like to here from anyone who has replaced the one that comes with the trailer.
I was thinking about one from either Lowes or Home Depot. I would like one that replacement filters can be found easily.
Any suggestions on this.

George
Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:35 PM   #2
Geezer

1991 25' Excella
Sapulpa , Oklahoma
I have same concern. I have a 1991 Excella. I would like to upgrade the filter system. I have an under counter after market filter but my concerns are about the Airstream filter. Do not understand how it works or if it works. Please keep me in mind if you find useful information about the system.
LRPorter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:59 AM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Howdy!

I have a filter on the blue/white water supply. Also one under sink.

When it fails I will try to replace with same. It is working fine. Filters water ONLY out of special tap on side of sink.

Got pics of your filter setup so we can "see"? Many of us are visual learners...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:21 AM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
I have a filter on the blue/white water supply. Also one under sink.
Since both filters use granular activated carbon (GAC) as the filter medium, the inside filter will not remove anything more than will the outside filter. The only time an inside filter in addition to an outside filter would be required is:
1 - if you add chlorine to treat your freshwater tank, and then drink the chlorine-laden water rather than draining it. GAC will remove chlorine.
2 - If you've allowed fresh water to sit in the tank long enough to go stagnant, in which case you ought to be treating with chlorine, which takes you back to (1) above.

If your outside filter and inside filter used different filter media, I could see a benefit to doubling up filters like that. But as long as both are GAC filters…?

I use an outside filter only (Interstates don't have an under-sink filter to begin with), with the filter at the service pedestal so the water is filtered before it even enters my blue-and-white hose. That way, the municipal water is filtered when I use direct hookup, and so is the water I put in the fresh tank for boondocking.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:44 AM   #5
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
^^yup! Belt and suspenders theory...kudos to the late great Justin Wilson.

I have hose filter to start filtration and keep hose clean as possible. Also keeps junk out of fresh water plumbing....I hope.

I do chlorine the fresh tank then drain and refill before trip.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:51 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I just use a spun fiber filter outside (less expensive) to keep the crap out of the AS lines. The expensive under counter is carbon activated.....etc and used for drinking. I don't see the need for the purest water for washing, showering and flushing. So it's really not belt and suspenders for me. It's pre-filtering and purifying. Makes the under sink last longer.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote