Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2010, 11:52 AM   #21
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
Following this tread has raised a question for me.
What models have tank heaters?
I am 99.9% sure my 31 classic does not. The tanks are enclosed by metal boxes on the bottom and heated by a duct hose from the propane furnace. In my case, if I heat the trailer with anything other than the furnace, the tanks will definitely be subject to freezing.
regards,
Ken
Tank Heaters were not an option to my knowledge on my 06 31 Classic.
I would have purchased them. The amount of air from the forced air heater is minimal. I put a small scoop in the Tee and is significantly increased the air flow.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 01:11 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Drummond Island , Michigan
RV "pink" anti-freeze is designed to be used undiluted and will not provide the freeze protection needed if diluted even a small amount. You buy it by the gallon so if you want to protect your water heater it would have to be filled with 6 gallons of anti-freeze which is pretty expensive for something that has to be discarded. If you are not using the water heater it should be drained. A water heater bypass unit can be installed that will allow full strength anti-freeze to circulate in the rest of the water system.

Right now we are located in Boerne just a little west of San Antonio, TX. It was 13 degrees yesterday morning and the park swimming pool has ice thick enough to stand on. So far we have not had a problem in the A/S. We have our water tank full because the parks water system has been freezing occasionally, keep cabinet doors cracked where plumbing is located and have the thermostat set at 68 degrees. Outside we have put a foam insulation sleeve on a short piece of water hose I made up and we keep a trickle of water running in the sink during freezing weather. Now that I made that statement I'll probably wake up to a gusher somewhere tonight! No frozen dump valves. We keep our grey water open and running and dump black as needed. A hair dryer will generally free up a dump valve if it does freeze. We came south for the winter...when is it going to get warm??
Ahzmyrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 02:10 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Louisville , United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahzmyrah View Post
Right now we are located in Boerne just a little west of San Antonio, TX. It was 13 degrees yesterday morning and the park swimming pool has ice thick enough to stand on. So far we have not had a problem in the A/S. We have our water tank full because the parks water system has been freezing occasionally, keep cabinet doors cracked where plumbing is located and have the thermostat set at 68 degrees. Outside we have put a foam insulation sleeve on a short piece of water hose I made up and we keep a trickle of water running in the sink during freezing weather. Now that I made that statement I'll probably wake up to a gusher somewhere tonight! No frozen dump valves. We keep our grey water open and running and dump black as needed. A hair dryer will generally free up a dump valve if it does freeze. We came south for the winter...when is it going to get warm??

My order of global warming hasn't arrived at Costco...going to have to ask Al Gore about that! Thanks for the tips on Airstreaming in continuously cold weather--I'll use that!
SSChanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 02:34 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
Your best bet is to always drain the fresh water tank then use a bypass hose off the pump to suck the rv antifreeze out of each gallon you use and make sure undiluted antifreeze goes down each drain especially the shower drain and toiddy sprayer hose before dumping remainder down toilet and the grey tank. This will prevent damage to dump valves. The hot watre heater has a plastic plug to unscrew to allow it to be emptied so no antifreeze needed, bypass for heater advised to run antifreeze along hot water lines to sinks shower etc...
arcamedies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 04:17 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Classic FB
Anytown , Massachusetts
Please explain the "scoop"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi View Post
Tank Heaters were not an option to my knowledge on my 06 31 Classic.
I would have purchased them. The amount of air from the forced air heater is minimal. I put a small scoop in the Tee and is significantly increased the air flow.
Could you explain what you mean by a scoop??? I have a very cold front bedroom but a hot galley...Could I "scoop" both the tanks and front bedroom?

Thanks in advance.
WBCCI #8701* TAC MA-1 * NEU UNIT
Gracie...A Liver & White GSP
Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
Whirlaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 05:59 PM   #26
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Scoop Away

For those interested. After searching thousands of pictures... (really) Here are the pictures of the scoop
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1556.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	93863   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1557.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	93864  

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:40 AM   #27
Up creek w/paddle

2009 20' Flying Cloud
Waynesville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
I believe there are tank heaters only on the black and grey tanks- not on the fresh water.
Two switches located above the bathroom sink that glow red when turned on. One switch labeled fresh and the other gra/blk at the top of the panel and tank heaters at the bottom of the switches.
NCMtnStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:00 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Louisville , United States
Thanks to everyone for you ideas! I towed Twinkle back to the storage yard today--the temperature went to 45 degrees. Looks like everything's gonna be alright, as the song goes.

But you all taught me some interesting things about our AS, and we appreciate you!
SSChanger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cold weather, freeze, frozen