Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2012, 01:14 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Cheney , Washington
Trying to repair freeze damage

Howdy,

First time well below freezing in my '99 25' Safari and, although I drained the FW tank, I did not run the Shurflo diaphragm pump to clear water from it. The obvious damage was cracked clear plastic on the inline filter on the suction side. I replaced the filter and still get no suction up from the tank (now half full (of water, not ice). I removed and disassembled the pump itself and everything looks kosher -- no cracks or evident damage. When blown into or sucked on either the inlet or outlet side there is no air escaping.

Anyone have any further diagnosis suggestions and or tips on how to bench test the pump? Thanks.

Mortimer
M. Bondurant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Any tiny air leak on the suction side of the pump will keep it from priming, so first be absolutely sure all the pipes are tight on the new filter and suction side of the pump.

The pumps can become damaged internally by freezing. Take it out, put a piece of hose on the suction and discharge side, stick them in a bucket and apply 12 volts to the pump (a battery charger will usually work). If it runs but does not pump after a few seconds, the pump has become damaged. They are not too expensive, $60 to $100 or so, easiest thing is to just replace it if your tests show the pump is the problem.

At least that is what I would do.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
You can bench test the pump by putting a short hose on the inlet end and hooking it to a 12 volt battery. It would be worth making up a couple of leads with aligator clips and a fuse. I put a bucket on a picnic table next to the truck and used the truck battery. I had a pump that was frozen many years before I bought the trailer. Previous owner kept the trailer hooked to city water full time. The pump looked okay and ran but would not pump. I had to buy another pump.
You could have a air leak on the intake side. Almost any air leak and the pump will not prime itself. You could still have a priming problem. These pumps do not move a lot of volume so it takes a while to get it primed. The check valve past the pump could be blocked. Those things you would eliminate by bench testing the pump. If it will not pump out of a bucket with little lift you need a new one.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:22 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Cheney , Washington
Thanks. When I get a chance, I'll bench test it as recommended and report back -- probably in about a week.

Mort
Old 10-29-2012, 03:51 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Cheney , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
Any tiny air leak on the suction side of the pump will keep it from priming, so first be absolutely sure all the pipes are tight on the new filter and suction side of the pump.
Correct! I assumed that the new filter was good to go out of the box but it required another eighth turn of tightening on the filter cup to get it all sealed up and sucking.

Thanks, all.

Mort