Old 04-27-2015, 10:39 PM   #15
Rivet Master
2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Full water tank reduces the sloshing ...even with baffles.

~~~~~~ mefly2 ~~~~~>>>
AIR 44105 /WBCCI - formerly 2015-1; Yamaha XT250
:>) ducts are now in a row w / 2015 ducted air :>)
* 2015 Duramax 2500 Diesel * Honda EU3000iS
<>2015 International LE Eddie Bauer FB25<>
mefly2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:29 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member
2009 25' FB Flying Cloud
Marysville , Washington
The fresh water tank is located directly above the axles and appears to be located more on the road side of the trailer. The kitchen is also located on the road side. Generally we travel lite without any excess "stuff".

J&J AIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:07 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member
2001 25' Safari
Fair Oaks , California
As others have said, if we're dry camping we have a full tank of fresh water on board when we leave for our trip. If we're staying at a campground with full hookups, we have 1/4 to 1/2 tank of fresh water on board in case it's needed during the trip. I learned this lesson the hard way when our dog got sick inside the trailer when we made a stop on the way to Pfiefer Big Sur State Park (I'll spare you the gory details). Because those coastal roads are steep, narrow, and curvy, I left home with an empty fresh water tank to save weight. We had to buy big bottles of fresh water at a store to clean up the mess our dog made before we could continue our trip. That's a lesson I'll never forget.
Nomad518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:16 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
A PO had increased the water capacity by placing a 20 gallon tank under each dinette seat which gives our '66 Trade Wind 40 gallons when full. The dinette is in the front placing that weight on the tongue. Having that capacity is great but requires some planning as to weight distribution and taking consideration our mountain roads, rough roads and how available is water at our destinations. Usually we travel with half capacity. The tanks rest one on each side of the trailer linked by a 3/4" pipe so the weight is evenly placed.

Neil and Lynn Holman
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:18 AM   #19
Figment of My Imagination
2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Originally Posted by MaineStreamer View Post
I have been told that due the way roads are crowned, it is important to load cargo trailers (in general) with more weight on the road side, or at least to avoid overloading the edge of road side. Thoughts?
That's a myth. Even if it's a Louisiana back road with no shoulders and crumbling edges, the difference between loading your trailer with even weight distribution or road-side-heavy weight distribution is trivial compared to the load capacity of the asphalt. Your trailer doesn't come anywhere near the weight capacity of the asphalt, which can usually support heavy earth-moving equipment that was used to build the road.

You actually want your trailer to be loaded level, with the weight evenly distributed from side to side. This prevents uneven wear on your tires and brakes, which would have to work harder on the heavy side of an unbalanced trailer.
WBCCI #1105

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 12:49 PM   #20
Vintage Kin
Corpus Christi , Texas
And, hopefully, one has also corrected for imbalances between the axles. In other words, the load on all trailer tires is close to the same.
1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 10-cpm solo, 18-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:24 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
I have seen videos of tests with and without 'full fresh water tanks'... some comments were.... "the full fresh water tank, mounted over the axles actually lowers the CG (center of gravity), minimizes the 'roll' of the AS... I think most of those are correct based upon personal use with and without full and even partially filled fresh water tank..

Prefer a 'full' tank, myself..
Peace and Blessings..
WBCCI# 30676
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:51 PM   #22
Rivet Master
I rarely travel with water.

I either tow with an empty tank if I can get water where I'm going, or a full tank.NEVER with a half tank. I don't like feeling the water sloshing around
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:49 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Petaluma , California
Full fresh water tank when stored and when traveling. We sanitize with bleach once a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 05:38 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member
2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
Although the Airstream's frame will definitely handle the load of towing with a full fresh, the question is what else do you have on board? If you're near the max weight through your gear, clothing, groceries, etc, then you need to think about the 320 lbs that a full fresh tank adds to your total weight.

Because we're towing with a Sprinter's smaller engine, we are very weight sensitive, and always tow with about 1/8-1/4 tank of fresh--just enough to get us through the day. If we're going to dry camp, we plan ahead to fill the fresh as close as possible to our final destination. We definitely notice a difference with more water in the tank. Have not experience a problem with 5-10 gallons sloshing around.

gecko is offline   Reply With Quote