Old 06-03-2009, 10:42 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
1995 30' Limited
Tygh Valley , Oregon
Tool to remove fresh water drain plug

The fresh water tank on my '87 25' Sovereign has begun to leak with the water coming out of the approximately 6" by 8" steel access plate in the tank protective cover. I took the access plate off and found that the water appears to be coming from the drain plug.

How do I remove this plug? It appears to have a recess for a six sided tool - approximately 3/4" across the points. Is this tool something that originally came with the trailer or is it something that is readily available?

willbrackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
It's really nothing more than a LARGE allen wrench...perhaps you can find one at Lowes, Home Depot, etc...

If the plug is plastic, and since it's been installed for a long time, probably with some thread compound to keep it from leaking (yah, right!) careful as it's really easy to 'round' off the socket of the plug...

If the flats get rounded off in the plug, you'll have to carefully drill out the old plug without damaging the threads in the tank...OR, try this;

I've sometimes used a flat bar that will fit tight across the hexagon, and use an adjustable wrench to unscrew the plug...this is probably the best method - then get a new plug, and use lots of teflon tape to seal the threads...

Good luck!

Ray & Pat; Morada, CA
Mexray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 03:35 AM   #3
Rivet Master
1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Sometimes with those large plugs this will fit them if you have one laying around the tool box. Some deep well socket sets also have that shape on the butt end.

Arnold Universal Spark Plug Wrench
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:46 AM   #4
Site Team
, Minnesota
You could buy a 1/2" bolt and two nuts. Lock the two nuts together and stick the head of the bolt into the plastic fitting. The head of a standard 1/2" bolt is 3/4" across the flats.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 07:57 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member
1994 21' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
I just brought home a 1994 Soverign 21' which has the same problem. The plug was loose enough to remove with just my fingers. The internal hex is 11/16", my plan is to make a tool using a bolt head that fits into the hex with a piece of rod welded to threaded end to make a T-wrench.

The plug appears to have a standard 1-1/2" pipe thread, there seems to be a small step inside beyond the threads. I wonder if there is supposed to be a seal ring or gasket inside?
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:44 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member
1995 30' Limited
Tygh Valley , Oregon
Problem solved (for now)

I was able to remove the plug using the head of a 1/2" bolt after adding a nut and jam nut. Once I got it started, the plug came out easily and looked good. I added some teflon tape and re-inserted it, torquing it a bit tighter. Voila! leaked fixed.

Thanks to all who offered advice.

willbrackman is offline   Reply With Quote