Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-23-2013, 10:40 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Jupiter , Florida
Thoughts on repair - FW problem

So I over pressurized my FW system by leaving the hose in the fill until water was spewing out. Found the bedroom carpet soaked and tryed fans for five days but it wouldn't dry out. Pulled up the bed and removed the carpet this morning, but no active leak with a 3/4 tank. Question is, should I try and over pressurize again to find the leak or go with don't be stupid in the future and gently fill the water? Looking for your inpt..... Thanks Chris
Off Course is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:59 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Do you have access to the inside of the water fill inlet and fill tube now? If yes, then I would slowly fill the tank back up to the point where you're getting water spilling back out of the inlet. Then with the fill tube full of water, check inside for leaks, especially where the fill tube connects to the inlet. Check the tank vent lines too. None of them should leak, even with the fill tube full of water to the inlet.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:28 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Perry , Florida
Just a DAQ,,,since the FW tank is vented to the atmosphere, how is it possible to overpressurize the system when filling??? The water spewing out of the overflow/fill hole prevents the pressure from building up in the system. Am I missing something here???
Old 04-29-2013, 04:24 AM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Ours leaked 'til the fill tube level reached the tank. The hose is very difficult to access on our Classic, the worm clamp was loose.

I used a heat lamp to dry the floor in our rear storage compartment, took three days with the fan running.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07532.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	862.8 KB
ID:	184500  
Old 04-29-2013, 07:06 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snedwid View Post
Just a DAQ,,,since the FW tank is vented to the atmosphere, how is it possible to overpressurize the system when filling??? The water spewing out of the overflow/fill hole prevents the pressure from building up in the system. Am I missing something here???
The fill tube is 1 3/8" or 1 1/2". You typically have a garden hose filling the tank, so figure you have a 1/2" or 5/8" stream of water, under pressure, filling the tank. The vent is probably 1/4". With a 1/2" stream of water flowing in, and 1/4" vent to let air out, once all the air is out of the tank, you now have 1/2" stream flowing in and 1/4" stream flowing out. The tank will pressurize.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:27 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
You ought to find and probably replace the fill hose. A very common place for a leak is where the fill hose joins the tank. When filling it leaks faster than it looks like it would from a small tear. I used a piece of fill hose from a RV store that is much better than the one that Airstream uses.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote