Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-15-2009, 02:35 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Tank Monitor replacement - digital

OK, I admit I mentioned doing this a couple years ago. One good thing about snow and cold--it encourages/allows you to get back in the lab.

Very short tutorial: the older 70s, and earlier, tank monitors use four wires to report the water level to a circuit card with small light bulbs that illuminate to crudely indicate fluid level. The newer 70s (I don't know when it changed, but some time between 72 and 75) use two wires to send a varying voltage (5 steps, which is a bit more resolution than the 4-wire system) which drives small analog meters. Although these methods are very different from an electrical standpoint, a very similar circuit can be built to detect the two different kinds of inputs and turn on LEDs in the same way the old system turned on the light bulbs.

Note: the following description is preliminary and will most likely be modified once I can make the first prototype. This information is posted so that others can make inputs, both improvements and corrections. I'd rather have a correction than a smoke test.

Two-wire system: this system has four sensor probes and one driver probe. Using resistors in series with the probes, the four sensor probes can provide 5 output levels (the fifth level is zero--no contact with water). Here's where I might need a little help--it's too cold here to experimentally fill and empty my tanks, so had to improvise in the lab. When I used 9 volts to drive the probes, I got the following outputs. If you measure and existing set of probes that are connected to 12 volts, you should get something like the numbers in the right column.

Name:   voltage table.jpg
Views: 4408
Size:  30.5 KB
For reference, this is the schematic of the original meter circuit:

Click image for larger version

Name:	meter circuit-s.jpg
Views:	3886
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	91061

A quad voltage comparator can be used to detect the voltage input level and turn on an LED ladder. It's a very inexpensive circuit, around $6 per tank, plus the experimenters punch board from some place like Radio Shack. Laying out a printed circuit board is helpful in seeing how it might look, even if it's made by hand. It looks like the total board area is 3"x3". The LED columns are 1" appart and are 0.9" long.

Name:	2-wire sch.jpg
Views:	699
Size:	187.4 KB
ID:	91058 Click image for larger version

Name:	2-wire pcb.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	440.6 KB
ID:	91057

The four-wire (older) version is very similar, but a bit simpler. As each sensor contacts water, its LED illuminates.

Name:	4-wire sch.jpg
Views:	524
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	91060 Click image for larger version

Name:	4-wire pcb.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	421.0 KB
ID:	91059

The board would function only when a "press to test" switch is pushed. I've considerd putting in a switch with a momentary function and an "on" function. All the LEDs would illuminate at the water level and below (eg, all the LEDs below the current level would also illuminate). Any input on alternate functionality will be considered. BTW, there is a reason for using 9V as the (+) power--the HF meters work off of 9V and I intend to rip a couple of those suckers apart to provide an indication of battery voltage and current. More on that mod later.

Zep
Old 11-15-2009, 05:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Sensor for water tank

Is this something you would manufacture and sell? If so I'm in as my 72 TW doesn't have much functionality on the control panel and it seems that info on it's components is missing on the forums.

Thanks for your efforts, could you use different colored LEDs, say like green for full, yellow for low and red for empty?

Richard
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 06:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Yes, different LEDs - green, yellow, orange, red.

No, not sell. Once I check it out completely, I'll put the plans here. If you haven't soldered DIP-type integrated circuits, I'm sure you can find a ham or a computer kid in your area that can do it. It will be simple.

Zep
Old 11-16-2009, 09:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
LEDs

Hey I built a Heathkit Color TV back when you had to solder ALL the components on the boards. Will give it a try.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:43 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
2-wire tank monitor circuit

The circuit is changed so the LEDs come on rather than go off as the water level rises. Also a bit of simplification to the input resistors. The breadboard works per expectations. No other guarantees, express or implied! It appears that this could be built on a single layer PC board, so there should be a minimum of jumper wires when it's built on an punch board.

Name:	2-wire_c_sch.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	233.1 KB
ID:	91205 Click image for larger version

Name:	2-wire_d_pcb.jpg
Views:	519
Size:	285.1 KB
ID:	91206

The bread board tested 4-wire circuit will be along shortly.

Zep
Old 11-17-2009, 02:38 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
4-wire tank monitoring circuit

Here's the 4-wire circuit and layout. The electronics are somewhat simpler and there is a spare comparator, in case you have an application where one more wire/indicator is needed.

Name:	4-wire_sch_b.jpg
Views:	1653
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	91211 Click image for larger version

Name:	4-wire_pcb_e.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	351.3 KB
ID:	91212

I'm guessing that this system was used before 1975 and the addition of the gray holding tank. So you ony need two of the modules, not three. But just in case, the layout provides for three.

Zep
Old 11-17-2009, 02:54 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Broken wire?

If you've got a 4-wire system and you have a broken wire, or if you want to add a sensor (stainless steel screw-in post, really) to provide an additional water level reading, you can easily convert your 4-wire system to two wires. Just use a small piece of insulated board to mount the resistors and some kind of connector for the external wires and mount it near the tank. You can now use the 2-wire monitor module for each converted tank.

Name:	wire conversion.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	91214

I'm going to convert my Caravel and Overlander to the 2-wire system. I doubt I'll add another sensor, however, just keep a 3-level indication capability.

Zep
Old 11-18-2009, 01:02 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
building a prototype

I've been assuming that anyone who would try this is familiar with DIP prototyping tools. If not, here's what it takes to get started. Radio Shack has the layout board for about $20. You'll also need a small 12V power supply, like one of the types where the whole unit hangs on the 110V plug. It's also good to know which end of the LM339 has pin #1.

Name:	IMG_0363 bread board-s.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	91248 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0365 ic INDENT-S.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	91249

When you've got the bread board model figured out, you'll want to make something a little more portable, something that might actually be useful (temporarily) in the Airstream. That requires soldering the components onto a prototyping board. There are three kinds--bare, isolated-dots, and bussed. The bussed boards are easiest to work with, but the finished prototype will be a little larger, due to the component placement restrictions of the busses, than the isolated-dot type board.

Name:	IMG_0361 boards front-s.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	91250 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0362 boards back-s.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	206.1 KB
ID:	91251

The odd shapes are the result other projects the nibbled away at the orginal board(s).
Old 11-18-2009, 01:10 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
building a prototype - II

This prototype did not follow that PCB layout pictured earlier. In addition, during the prototype testing there were some changes made to the schematic, so use the one in this post, not any of the earlier ones. The series resistors for the LEDs were adjusted to get the apparent brightness of the colors to match. The red LEDs are more efficient than the green and yellow, so they require a bit higher resistance in order to dim them down a little.

One of the major differences in this prototype is the use of a 10-pin socket for the voltage divider resistors. This will allow changes for the higher conductivity of the black and gray water (see tables in the next post).

Name:	IMG_0367 front view-s.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	91252 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0372 back view-s.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	296.8 KB
ID:	91253

Name:	IMG_0371 side view-s.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	91254 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0366 sensor strip-s.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	91255

You can see that the test sensor strip is pretty simple.

Here's the correct schematic. The schematic is the same for all type tanks--fresh, gray, and black. But the input voltages are different due to the differing conductivities, so the resistor values for R1-R5 are different (see next post). The values here were nominal for fresh water in the lab and will most likely change for the tank(s).

Name:	2-wire_sch_e.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	337.6 KB
ID:	91256
Old 11-18-2009, 02:00 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
The input voltage from the tank(s) is influenced by the conductivity of the water in the tank. Clean water is not very conductive. Impurities, especially salt, increase its conductivity dramatically. The following tables show the differing inputs that can be expected from the three types of tanks (don't ask how). Only actual road test will confirm these values. In addition, the type of tank may have some unexpected influence, eg, tall versus flat tanks.

Name:	resistor ladders.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	91257

The values aren't grossly different, but the different conductivity does move the switching voltage enough that the fresh tank resistors definitely wouldn't work for the black tank. I suppose this is why the meters in the original monitor had an adjustable resistor in the circuit. I'm going to think about whether a variable resistor (one for each monitor) would be a more general solution for this design, too.

One interesting phenominom is that the black tank voltage decays very much more slowly when the sensors are taken out of the water than for the other two samples (ugh). The empty voltage before the sensors are wet is around 2.4 volts, but when they are removed after being wet, the voltage slowly decays down to about 2.8 volts and then very slowly to lower values. This is probably not a problem, unless you're filling and emptying your black tank really quickly...

happy soldering, Zep
Old 11-18-2009, 05:39 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
its just crazy.. I mean, is there anything you don't do?
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 05:47 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Thanks, Scott. I will admit I'm not a very good ballerina and I don't call my mom often enough. The truth is, I do a lot of stuff, but none of them as a true expert. So beware.

Zep
Old 11-18-2009, 05:53 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium View Post
Thanks, Scott. I will admit I'm not a very good ballerina Zep

Some say you have the legs of a ballerina.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:45 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Final Monitor - maybe

Here's the final monitor design. It's for the 2-wire system. When you look at the printed circuit you can see 3 modules on the right side that are intended to be cut off and installed at the tank to convert a 4-wire system to 2 wires.

The only change contemplated at this time is to spread out the LEDs by an additional 0.1". This design accomodates 6.5x3.5 millimeter rectangular LEDs, which are hard to find. The alternative is smaller rectangular LEDs or slightly larger round LEDs.

The cost of a single board with three monitors is $32 in small quantities. If more than 10 members are intersted, it would lower the cost to about $22. The order could be soon, but definitely before the end of December. PM me if you are interested.

Name:	rev-K_sch.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	380.4 KB
ID:	91349

Name:	rev-K_full.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	91350

Name:	rev-K_top.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	762.3 KB
ID:	91351

Name:	rev-K_bottom.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	770.9 KB
ID:	91352

Name:	rev-K_silk.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	452.0 KB
ID:	91353

Enjoy, Zep
Old 03-10-2010, 06:48 PM   #15
2xS
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
San Diego , California
Zep,

Nice post here! I was just getting started on this when looked on here to see if anyone else has tackled this project.

I noticed you used comparators and an R2R network to emulate the original Airstream design, and is that Autotrax you're using? My real question is: in your experience, did you notice the output voltages of the sensors to be more static or analog? Is it essentially just switches in the tank or is there a variable resistance to play with?

I ask because I would like to have a PIC microprocessor controlled AD/C to manipulate that data into a percent notation instead of the standard LED display. As long as there are voltage steps in between the 1/2, 3/4, full marks, it should be fairly easy. But if it doesn't work, I need to rethink my panel display.

What do you think?
Old 03-10-2010, 11:31 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
What is AutoTrax? The software to generate the circuit and the PCB is free from Express PCB.

The resistance detected by the sensors as they touch the water is more digital than analog. (the slope of the solid intervals between the steps is exaggerated in the graph.) The general shape of the resistance curve has large steps as each sensor is submerged, with very small change of resistance as the tank level changes until the next sensor is submerged (or uncovered), like so:

Name:	TANK RESISTANCE.JPG
Views:	375
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	97904

The center value of each of these steps varies, depending on the level of impurities in the water. That variability is much more significant than the total variation across one step. Ergo, the resistance ladder for the fresh tank is different than that for the gray and black (I did not test the reistance ladder for black water, just gray--that test is coming in the actual tank...).

I don't think you can devise a suitable algorithm to convert the stepwise output into a smooth slope. It would be interesting to see if you could devise a learning algorithm that could do an estimate based on the step size, but I think it would take a lot of samples.

I would have gone with a digital solution if it hadn't been for the fundamental variability in conductivity between fresh water samples.

Zep
Old 03-10-2010, 11:39 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1962 28' Ambassador
1962 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Webster Groves , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium View Post
What is AutoTrax? The software to generate the circuit and the PCB is free from Express PCB.

The resistance detected by the sensors as they touch the water is more digital than analog. (the slope of the solid intervals between the steps is exaggerated in the graph.) The general shape of the resistance curve has large steps as each sensor is submerged, with very small change of resistance as the tank level changes until the next sensor is submerged (or uncovered), like so:

Attachment 97904

The center value of each of these steps varies, depending on the level of impurities in the water. That variability is much more significant than the total variation across one step. Ergo, the resistance ladder for the fresh tank is different than that for the gray and black (I did not test the reistance ladder for black water, just gray--that test is coming in the actual tank...).

I don't think you can devise a suitable algorithm to convert the stepwise output into a smooth slope. It would be interesting to see if you could devise a learning algorithm that could do an estimate based on the step size, but I think it would take a lot of samples.

I would have gone with a digital solution if it hadn't been for the fundamental variability in conductivity between fresh water samples.

Zep
Zep, What if you wanted to go the reverse? I want a "Command center" in my '62 ... how do I use modern tank sensors to feed "BIG HONKIN ROUND ANALOGUE GUAGES!"? (Kan ya' point me?)
Bob
Xbob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:12 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbob2 View Post
Zep, What if you wanted to go the reverse? I want a "Command center" in my '62 ... how do I use modern tank sensors to feed "BIG HONKIN ROUND ANALOGUE GUAGES!"?
Assuming that you have the system shown in the circuit diagram in post #1, you just need to replace the original meters with the kind you like. Good luck. Have you seen the prices for analog mechanical round-faced 1 milliamp current meters lately (like the past two decades)? If you think the price-esthetics ratio is acceptable, go for it.

However, if you're talking about some other kind of "modern" sensor system, such as capacitive or pressure, I'd have to see the circuit diagram. All of these systems eventually produce a voltage that is proportional to fluid level, which can be displayed by an analog meter.

Zep
Old 05-01-2010, 10:15 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Gettin' Er Done

The prototype works as intended. Yippee. Now to install and see if the water and other fluids exhibit the same impedence as the fluids I concocted (you don't want to know). A few tank fills and empties will determine the final resistor ladder values for each type of tank.

The LEDs are on one side, which still needs a bezel. There will be three switches--bright/dim, pump on, and a momentary-off-on power switch. You can see the color logic for each of the indicators. The gray and black tanks go from green at empty to red a full and the fresh water tank is just the opposite. Still need a couple of LEDs for the gray tank indicator (in the middle). The four silver standoffs in the corners will position the front panel/bezel so that there is room for the swiches--that's why the LEDs are proud of the board by about 9/16ths".

Name:	IMG_0995 board oblique-s.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	262.5 KB
ID:	101639

The components and connectors are on the other side. This side will be accessible with the bezel installed. Note that this really is a prototype. The arrows point to strip sockets that will make it easy to change the resistor ladder if adjustments are necessary. The 8-pin chip on the far side is an NE555, which can be configured as a flasher. I have it hooked up to show that the pump is on; 3 seconds off, 1/8th second on. It's a bright white flash, which ought to get one's attention even the daytime. I always seem to forget to turn the pump off when traveling. This flasher will greatly reduce the battery drain of a pump light. As it is, the LEDs only use 5ma when they're on, so that's an average current drain of about .25 ma.

Name:	IMG_0997component oblique-s.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	307.4 KB
ID:	101640

Installation may be a few days away--the snow has stopped, but it's cold and breezy.

If others are interested in this item, the PC boards can be available in three days--$55 setup and about $25 per board (the software is a free download and ordering is automatic over the Net). I'll gladly send anyone the artwork so they can order a board(s), or take orders and do a single order to save on the setup fee. I think it would take about 10 orders to make this a worthwhile effort.

If we get a minimum number of people interested, I'm going to make the layout a bit narrower in height. I found that the current board is almost the same height as the control panel opening in the early 70s trailers. Making it about 1" smaller in height will make mounting it in the existing opening/bezel easier.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:07 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Control Panel

Though I don't fully understand all the circuitry, I love seeing the process unfold. I'm probably ignorant but I haven't seen much on the forum regarding the control panel repair, replacement or troubleshooting in general. Mine (72 TW) only has the water pump switch work, which is the only critical must have component, tank levels, battery level, panel light all shot and the plastic is a little ugly. So, how do I replace the whole gizmo, not just electronics behind the face plate? Coming from the Audio/Video install arena, we often custom punch out metal plates and then engrave the faceplate. Is that the next step to make this work? Has anybody out there already done this? I for one would love to have a nice state-of the art display panel there with some sexy lights and LEDS.