Old 03-21-2012, 01:44 PM   #15
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I thought of something that would be useful to me.

How about a meter, similar to a home water meter, on the output of the water pump? It could have remote readout, with a zeroing function.

Simply monitoring fresh water use would be handy. I have a pretty good idea most of it ends up in the gray tank. For me this info is much more useful dry camping. On hookups I can go pull the handles anytime.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:11 AM   #16
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
RE: Gauges that work and gauges that don't…

Apples and oranges. Speaking as a mechanical engineer, any mechanical gauge (like your automobile's fuel gauge) relies upon measuring a fluid with a consistent specific gravity, like clean water or gasoline, with no debris in the tank. If you measure a fluid with suspended solids (like effluent in a blackwater tank), or a varying specific gravity (like soapy water in a graywater tank) then a mechanical gauge is just as likely to give a false reading or quit working altogether.

Electronic gauges are still evolving. Inside-the-tank gauges like your Catcon Micropulse are still subject to problems caused by the tank's contents, but lacking any moving parts, they are less vulnerable to damage and wear-&-tear than a mechanical gauge.

There's a good reason why the boating and RV industries are moving to outside-the-tank sensors like the ones on my Interstate's tanks. Whether they're the best in the long term remains to be seen, but at least the industry perception is that right now, they're more reliable and easier to work on when something does go wrong than either mechanical or inside-the-tank electronic gauges. Safer, too. Because you don't have to drill holes in the tank to mount them, you aren't exposed to the tank's contents and you don't create potential leaks; that's one reason why the same sensors can be used on my Interstate to monitor propane tank levels along with the fresh- gray- and black-water tank levels.

If it was up to me, I'd replace the existing Catcon Micropulse sensors in your trailer with drain plugs screwed into the same holes, and install an all-new external sensor system. But it's not up to me, and my advice is like any advice; use, ignore, or mock as you see fit.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:09 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Austin , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to chromis
Anyone had experience with SeeLevel style capacitive sensors ? or rolled their own using a chip like MPR121 Capacitive Touch Sensor Breakout Board - SparkFun Electronics ?
Old 03-22-2012, 09:24 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Would an external sensor system be practical for use with these very shallow tanks?
Old 03-22-2012, 09:41 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Trade it for an old Argosy TT. We don't need no stinking gages. Mine on the Argosy which don't exist, work as well as any on my Airstreams, over the years. They got it right.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:17 AM   #20
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmrcaptevil View Post
Would an external sensor system be practical for use with these very shallow tanks?
The tanks on my Interstate are less than a foot tall, top to bottom, and external sensors work on them.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:14 PM   #21

1993 25' Excella
Sacramento , California
I have a 1993 Excella 25' and the gauges aren't working. How can I tell if the black and grey water tanks are full without the gauges?
Old 10-20-2012, 06:20 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott CoBen View Post
I have a 1993 Excella 25' and the gauges aren't working. How can I tell if the black and grey water tanks are full without the gauges?
Hi, you should be able to check you black tank by looking into the toilet. And the grey tank will start to fill the shower.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote