Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-02-2009, 10:14 AM   #1
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Sunday morning Surflo 2088 pump water leak

Been putting off getting around to trouble shooting why my pump sometimes primed and other times did not. We have only been out twice since we bought our AS and both times were short trips from home and had city water hook ups so we did not need to pump water from the tank. After reading the manual and tightening a couple of screws the pump primed. I was feeling pretty proud of myself until I looked at the pump and noticed a steady drip, nothing gushing, just enough to wet the floor over time. When the pump was not on, no drip.
I'm assuming this explains why I found the old wet spot when I pulled the carpet up put replace the flooring. It was dry so I thought it came from an old leak or maybe the problem I had with the leaking city water inlet. You can see it in the picture, next to the closet about a foot from the pump.
Getting back to fixing it, looking at the head of the pump where the drips are, I noticed it looked like someone had sealed the head using silicone,which I doubt came from the factory that way. After tightening the screws a little more and still having the drips, I started taking the pump out. Looking over in the corner, I found an old pump replacement head so now I figure this is not the first time this dripping has tried to be fixed. When I took the pump apart, there was silicone all over the inside, so I guess someone tried to stop the leaks with that. Might have worked for a while but did not last long.
Looking online,they sell replacement head kits but I'm not going to try another one since it appears 2 have failed. I'm im the market for a new pump.
Anyone have a suggestion on a good quiet pump? How many GPM? I suppose the larger ones would pump more water but would drain the fresh water tanks quicker as well.
Thanks for any input.
I think I'll take the rest of the day off.
Happy trails,
Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00792.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	271.6 KB
ID:	84832   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00834.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	258.6 KB
ID:	84833  

AirHeadsRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:20 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Renton , Washington
Airhead, in my opinion I would stear away from Shurflo pumps. I have been a mechanic working on street sweepers for years now and electric water pumps are used for the dust control water systems on sweepers. At one point we had Shurflo pumps on our equipment and we were constantly having problems with them. We ended up changing over to Flojet pumps and have had much better luck with them. I would suggest purchasing a Flojet if you are looking for a replacement and there should be a model available that is close to the same gpm and has the integrated switch that will turn the pump on and off as faucets and such are opened and closed. I can't recall the model of the one we install on the trucks at work but I know it has the integrated switch and we get them from Seattle Pump for around $117.00. Of course we have a discount because we have a commercial account with them so that may not be the price an average joe could get it for. I don't think Grainger carries Flojet but I know that MSC Industrial supply does and there websit is mscdirect.com. Good luck to ya!
nate3172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 01:20 PM   #3
Rivet Idiot

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
On The Lake , Georgia
Thanks Nate,
Camping World has 3 FLOJET models in their catalog. Looks like the FLOJET Quiet Quad II @ 3.2 GPM would be close to the SHURFLO I have. It sells for $66.99 and I have a $60 gift card so it will take some of the ouch out this.
Anyone have this model or know anything about it?
AirHeadsRus is offline   Reply With Quote