Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2010, 09:20 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
Red face Submarine Twinkie DIVE DIVE

I'm still in the process of restoring the twinkie with little things still to do, like a slow drip from the shower head, no big deal I thought .

A few weeks ago I forgot and left the water pump on after parking the twink and two days later I went in to tinker a bit and found the shower pan half full??? Hmmm what clogged the drain I wondered? Then I realized the original faucet was still merrily dripping away, AHHHH.

After pouring a little bleach in the pan now filling nicely I pulled the grey water drain and let out the 12 or so gallons that had accumulated in 2 days from the slow drip, (it's true a dripping faucet is a lot of water). Well grey water system is water tight, unscheduled test done, no leaks .

I found a couple of new washers at the friendly Home Depot, replaced them and success, no drip drip anymore but could have been a nasty surprise since I just filled the fresh water tank (30 gallons) when parking it to clean it out (a cup of bleach added as well to sanitize it).

So beware of a simple drip, could turn your twink into a submarine.

Come to think of it leaving a water hookup on with the mixmatch copper, pex, plastic hose stuff the PO's installed, NOT GOOD.

Project water line coming up next.
arcamedies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcamedies View Post
I'm still in the process of restoring the twinkie with little things still to do, like a slow drip from the shower head, no big deal I thought .

A few weeks ago I forgot and left the water pump on after parking the twink and two days later I went in to tinker a bit and found the shower pan half full??? Hmmm what clogged the drain I wondered? Then I realized the original faucet was still merrily dripping away, AHHHH.

After pouring a little bleach in the pan now filling nicely I pulled the grey water drain and let out the 12 or so gallons that had accumulated in 2 days from the slow drip, (it's true a dripping faucet is a lot of water). Well grey water system is water tight, unscheduled test done, no leaks .

I found a couple of new washers at the friendly Home Depot, replaced them and success, no drip drip anymore but could have been a nasty surprise since I just filled the fresh water tank (30 gallons) when parking it to clean it out (a cup of bleach added as well to sanitize it).

So beware of a simple drip, could turn your twink into a submarine.

Come to think of it leaving a water hookup on with the mixmatch copper, pex, plastic hose stuff the PO's installed, NOT GOOD.

Project water line coming up next.
RV shower heads, are designed to have a small drip when shut off.

That's to remind you, that the shower hose is pressurized, because the faucet is on.

Doesn't matter if the pump is on, or the coach is hooked up to city water.

Shutting the faucets off, stops the shower head drip.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:33 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
Drip Drip faucet turned off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post

That's to remind you, that the shower hose is pressurized, because the faucet is on.

Andy
shower head button set to open position, faucet was turned off, forgot the pump switch after washing hands working on project #87.

After replacing the original 35 year old washers, flattened from use, the drip stopped, do remember some drip in the 3 year old motorhome but stopped at water break after hose empty, used the same shower line and head, liked it. I would replace the original shower faucet set but doesn't look simple built the way it is from Airstream.
arcamedies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:48 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post

Andy
Thanks Andy, i was wondering why my shower head dripped when i turned it off with the dial.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote