Old 10-05-2010, 08:47 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1975 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Auburn , Alabama
Structural Insulated Panel for water tank support

I am in the final stages of finishing the resto on my 75 Tradewind. I was curious...has anyone ever replaced the plywood water tank support with a 1" structural insulated panel? I was thinking the plywood doesn't offer much R value but it is fairly cheap and easy to replace. The SIP would offer rot resistance, better insulation value and lighter weight. Got to thinking on this one as we have construction crews adding on to the building where I work using these aluminum sided SIP panels. Might be able to pick up a 4'x5' scrap for a little experiment.

barron64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:24 AM   #2
Rivet Master
1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia

My 66 TW water tank is in front and is suppported by my floor. Maybe yours is in a differant location. I think a SIP support would work fine, but do you need the benefits of the SIP? For example you don't need rot resistance unless your water tank is leaking, right. Go for it if you think it will work for you. If nobody else has done it, this would be a good experiment.

TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:44 AM   #3

1975 Argosy 24
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Rot resistance is always good. Water is an insidious invader! If my eventual decision is to get an older trailer that needs work, I'll try to exorcise any wood that's not cabinetry/furniture.

An interesting (and completely spontaneous and not-thought-out) idea is a SIP belly pan to better insulate the under-floor area on a trailer that needs its pan replaced... but I suppose weight might become an issue there.
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:21 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member
1975 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
Auburn , Alabama
Well I got a scrap piece to play with with yesterday. Thickness is 2" but the panel width is kind of oddball at like 44". These panels slide/lock together so I will need a couple of 5' pieces to come up with a 4'x5' piece. Very rigid and light with aluminum on both sides and 2" of foam in between. To make it fit I will need to slot the sides at 1" and slide it in. Should offer great R value with no rot or moisture issues.

Here is an idea for those guys who do the frame off floor repair...Use these panels to make the floor. Insulation already built in, light weight, no rot and damn strong.
barron64 is offline   Reply With Quote