Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-23-2012, 09:03 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
Unhappy Shurflo don't fail me now...

Well, it's finally happened. My Shurflo pressure valve has started to leak. My trailer is about 5 years old so this isn't a big supprise.
On the good side, the valve is easy to replace and was also easy to find and have shipped to me. The bad side is that this is the Christam season and even with express shipping I may not have it until the 26th. I'll be dealing with a leaky trailer until then.
I took the valve apart only to find that the regulator is not repairable. The parts are fused together at the factory. It is leaking because the lubrication has washed out and the rubber seals have hardened. I added some lube to it and it stopped leaking for about one day. Seems that once the valve starts to leak the only thing you can do is replace it.
I'd be glad to hear from other owners and learn your quick fix for the road.
dlb435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:29 AM   #2
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Ours leaked too. I use silicone oil to rehydrate the valve. Been like new and not leaking for 8 months now. Prior to treatment the pump would cycle once every 10 minutes or so...
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:52 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 View Post
Ours leaked too. I use silicone oil to rehydrate the valve. Been like new and not leaking for 8 months now. Prior to treatment the pump would cycle once every 10 minutes or so...
Great idea! Sounds like something we should do when we winterize every year. Can you tell us just how to do it?
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:05 AM   #4
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
The silicone fluid is not the same as silicone spray. I find this stuff at Lowes or Home Depot. It is in the iasle with the locksets, and sometimes an encap in the tools dept. I think the stuff I found last time was DuPont branded. Somes in a little squeez. bottle.
I simply remove the pump head. It's held on with several screws, some long ones go into the motor housing, others just hold the plastic head to the back portion of the pump.
After cleaning all the gunk (if any) out of the assembly, I pour several drops into each of the cups of the 3 valves. With a toothpick or something like that, I exercise each of the valves or diaphragms, getting everything wet with the silicone. I let everything sit for a while to absorb, I re-assemble using a little RTV on the mating surfaces, and the threads of the screws. Nothing leaks! I make sure all the scresa are nice and tight, but not so tight that the plastic cracks. Additionally, I use liquid PTFE thread seal on all the plumbing connections. It stays fluid/ viscous for years.

I think a lot of these water pumps could be serviced rather than replaced. I also think it is a good idea to install the pump in some sort of a pan, juns in case something leaks... no water would hit the floor.
I'd insert photos, but I have everything installed and leak free. I'd hate to take everything apart to take photos.... next year!
Old 12-23-2012, 11:17 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
I guess I should have been more spicific. This is the city water pressure regulator valve.
I did use a lube on it and it stopped leaking for only a day.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:25 AM   #6
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Alrighty then..

Just gut the housing, and leave out the regulator parts. Put it back together sans the regulator guts....
Old 12-23-2012, 11:47 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
The guts are plastic welded into place and also act as the seal. I'm sure I could get it apart but I would have to glue it together to make it work as a flow through.
How did you do it?
Old 12-23-2012, 12:51 PM   #8
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
The back of mine is removable.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:35 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
The pressure regulators for houses are the same as those for RV's, though finding one with 1/2" fittings might be a little more difficult. You can most likely get a replacement at any hardware that has plumbing supplies. Ace, Lowes, or HD usually have them in stock where I live.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:04 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Get a pressure regulator that fits on the end of the water hose.
I am assuming you are connected to city water here and if you are. Why is the pump turned on?
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote