Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2013, 10:10 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
Shurflo city water regulator question

Last trip out our city water regulator failed. I have always used a pre-regulator to keep pressure off the system. Seems that may not have been the best idea. After five years the Shurflo stuck and started to leak. I've replaced the regulator now and was considering not using a pre-regulator anymore. Seems that the piping and all trailer parts are good for about 100 psi. Few city water outlets run more than about 72 psi.
So, do I still use the pre-regulator or just use the Shurflo and see what happens?
dlb435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:22 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I just use the Shurflow. I don't think you did anything to cause your failure. It is a relatively common failure item. Not rampant, but common. Mine leaked and I disassembled and revealed myself. I have not yet had further issues.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post

Mine leaked and I disassembled and revealed myself.

Whatever you do in the privacy of your own Airstream is OK, I say.

I think, at least I hope, that was supposed to be repaired. But whatever works.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:22 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
Be nice, some of us are used to spell check.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:39 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlb435 View Post
Actually, it does look like a spell check thing to me. That was just an especially enjoyable one.

The trailer park where I keep my Excella has the same regulator at the connection that I have internally. It catches all the debris in its screen rather than it (the debris) getting to the built-in one. I've had to clean it a couple of times.

A good dis-assembly and cleaning could take care of the problem. The thing about the park having one at the connection is a plus for me. It's out in the open and much easier to work on than the one in the floor of the hall closet. I wouldn't have installed on there myself, the park owner has them on all the spaces, though.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:35 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlb435 View Post

Thanks for the support. I was on my IPad and I swear it does spell check stuff all by itself and doesn't even have the courtesy to ask me first. Must have been designed by my wife!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Even with the water pressure regulator, the pressure can increase substantially beyond its regulated pressure. This is because the anti-backflow valve at the campground spigot locks the pressure in the Airstream system. Then when the water expands from the water heater, or a hot day in the trailer when you're gone, pressure increases sometimes causing leaks or other problems.

Some of us have installed water pressure accumulators to take up these pressure increases, and better operation of the pump when not on hookups. Here's a couple examples how we did it, an easy upgrade.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f163...ml#post1251379

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:44 PM   #8

Currently Looking...
Klamath Falls , Oregon
1992 21' Sovereign
So my shurflo regulator is cracked due to freezing and I have disconnected from the inside. A real pain to get to. Now, the outside flange will not come free from the outside.
All four screws removed.
Ran a putty knife around flange and side of Airstream.

Any ideas?
Bill
Text
541-891-1794
WD Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:55 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
Sound like it's "glued" in by the plumbers putty that was used to keep rain water from leaking into to trailer. Try using a heat gun from the inside to warm the putty.
After I took the hose on the inside off and took out the four screws I was able to just pull the valve out. Be careful not to damage the outside skin of the trailer.
Good luck.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:40 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Tulsa , Oklahoma
I can't even get the first inside fitting broken on my water pipe. I can get a 7/8 wrench on it, but it is hard to get a good amount of torque on my wrench.
terrencecolp is offline   Reply With Quote