Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-12-2019, 06:23 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Must be, mine is like a buzz saw when it runs.....bah bah bah bah throughout the whole trailer....quite annoying to 2am when the wife needs to use the facilities and flush.....
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 06:52 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittmaster View Post
Must be, mine is like a buzz saw when it runs.....bah bah bah bah throughout the whole trailer....quite annoying to 2am when the wife needs to use the facilities and flush.....
Have you tried bleeding the low point drains and outside shower after filling up? On ours I need to do that or the pump makes a racket. Also, AS mounts the strainer before the pump upside down for some reason. Flipping it over helps it bleed the air faster and make less noise.
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:20 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
Have you tried bleeding the low point drains and outside shower after filling up? On ours I need to do that or the pump makes a racket. Also, AS mounts the strainer before the pump upside down for some reason. Flipping it over helps it bleed the air faster and make less noise.
Yes, no changes....when I was at JC they mentioned they could "adjust" the pressure to prevent this issue, but with all that was going on, it was a very low priority.

Never got done. It works, just annoying.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:04 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
This must have been photos of the 25 foot International's water pump. Maybe a fuzzy one but this was a coffee grinder. Maybe by using the suggestion to reduce the pressure may tame the noise... someone will be testing that I hope, soon.

As you can tell. I replaced the original screws... that backed out from the vibrations and in the photo a replacement was... missing. That is why I took the photo at the time.

Maybe because it was 'HARD water', not SOFT?

This pump could be heard outside the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4956.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	389.6 KB
ID:	351992   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4953.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	442.7 KB
ID:	351993  

Old 09-12-2019, 11:11 AM   #45
kpm
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Mound , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittmaster View Post
Have you tried the changes suggested in #20? Kay0 has reported success in #37.
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 11:24 AM   #46
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Gold Canyon , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by panamerican View Post
If memory serves me right, there is a closet on the curbside, and to the left a pantry? If right, there are two squares under each. The one under the closet-- give that square a pull from the left. It's a fake door. Behind that should be the water pump on that model trailer if I'm right.

**edit** here is a pic of what I think is the model you are talking about. On the left is the closet and that small space under the closet is the fake door. Either way, the pump should be behind that small square fake thing.
Yup that is the layout of my 2005 Safari. Tried to pull on the left side of lower panel and would not open. Will try again with a bit more force. Pump is still working but a bit noisey. Has not had any maintenance since I bought the AS used 3 1/2 years ago
Old 09-12-2019, 05:40 PM   #47
2 Rivet Member

2017 19' International
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Monrovia , California
I did a little further research and downloaded the installation & operating manual for the 4008 Series Pump. It clearly states to use a flexible hose, " The pump ports and strainer should not be connected to rigid or plastic pipe, or the normal motion will transmit through rigid plumbing causing noise, and possibly loosening or cracking of components." Well, well, well, Airstream used PEX on our AS which is a rigid plastic pipe. Shuffle recommends using flexible hose and has a silencing kit they offer. Shurflo Kit 94-591-01. Has anyone installed this? Was it effective? I have an email into Shurflo asking if they sell a kit with shorter hoses.
I earlier posted that I increased the pressure and was successful in lowering the noise, I learned that Shurflo does not recommend changing the pressure. If you are interested in changing the pressure be aware there is also a set screw to adjust the by-pass pressure. You may want to read the manual before you change the pressure settings.
Kay0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 08:10 AM   #48
kpm
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Mound , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay0 View Post
I did a little further research and downloaded the installation & operating manual for the 4008 Series Pump. It clearly states to use a flexible hose, " The pump ports and strainer should not be connected to rigid or plastic pipe, or the normal motion will transmit through rigid plumbing causing noise, and possibly loosening or cracking of components." Well, well, well, Airstream used PEX on our AS which is a rigid plastic pipe. Shuffle recommends using flexible hose and has a silencing kit they offer. Shurflo Kit 94-591-01. Has anyone installed this? Was it effective? I have an email into Shurflo asking if they sell a kit with shorter hoses.
I earlier posted that I increased the pressure and was successful in lowering the noise, I learned that Shurflo does not recommend changing the pressure. If you are interested in changing the pressure be aware there is also a set screw to adjust the by-pass pressure. You may want to read the manual before you change the pressure settings.
When I was at the Jackson Center Service Center, my tech recommended the two techniques mentioned in #16, namely adjusting the shut-off pressure (not the by-pass pressure) and securing the PEX supply pipes to keep them from rattling. I have successfully used both techniques on more than one trailer.

I have also installed the Shurflo silencing kit, which consists of a pair of 30" flexible hoses. In order to install it, I shortened some of the PEX plumbing and rotated my pump 45° CCW. Even then, I had to put a generous loop in each of the hoses. In the end, I can't say it made much difference in the sound level, though it may be better for the rigid plumbing in the long term, since there is no vibration transmitted to those components.

I'm attaching a copy of the Shurflo 4008 Revolution manual for reference: shurflo-4008-revolution-manual.pdf. I find a section on adjusting the by-pass but nothing on adjusting the shut-off pressure. There are some youtube videos on adjusting the shut-off pressure.
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 08:32 AM   #49
2 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Roanoke , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay0 View Post
That is what we installed and it made a huge difference for us. You can still hear it, but only if the ceiling fans are off. Our whole airstream used to shutter and shake with the old pump and pipes and the noise was like an old top-load dryer that was off balance. Much better now.
Rovin Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 10:01 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
I will certainly give those two things a try, the pump noise is just awful.
Old 09-15-2019, 06:15 PM   #51
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Idyllwild , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
I have owned two Airstreams. A 2006 Safari and a 2014 International.

When I was Boondocking, the previous water pump systems worked very well on 12 volts and reliable. On... Off. Off... On. Water pressure.

When checking off everything on our list for the new 2019 International Serenity, I flipped the Water Pump switch to ON. Nothing. Absolutely nothing. I could hear a fly in the trailer and that would had been deafening compared to flipping the water pump to ON. Even a mosquito would be overpowering at three or four feet.

Imagine my surprise, Airstream DID improve a component that was absolutely... fantastic.

Whatever the brand of the previous water pumps used on my 'antique water pump' models, I knew when they were running. Each sounded like a snow plow running through a campground at midnight, in the Mohave Desert in July.

The Shur-Flo Water Pump is so quiet, I did not even know it was running. Water pressure was as good, if not better than the irritating coffee grinder sound of the previous brand.

I stand before you grinning... with water pressure, hot and cold... and hear nothing. Those of you with the 'old water pump'... just forget you read this.

For Santa's List coming, tomorrow or whenever... put ShurFlo on your Xmas List. Even if you have to forgo an upgrade to your briefs... that can wait.
Ray,

I wonder if there is something else going on here. I read your post and thought, that's for me. I like quiet. I went out and checked the pump in our 2016 Classic and it is the exact pump you mention -- but it isn't as quiet as you mention. We can definitely hear the thumping anywhere in the trailer and the frequency changes as the flow changes. Yours is totally silent? Did you insulate it is some way? Ours is screwed right to the floor, is yours?

Thanks,

Chris
2partners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 11:14 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
2partners... call for Steve in Service at Las Vegas Airstream 702-835-8300 and ask him if they DID anything different to their trailers when delivered. He answered all and any questions I had at the time.

When we did the final walk through, Steve (Service), there is a Steve (Parts, also), I did not ask WHY my water pump was so quiet. The trailer was 'water upped' and under pressure with hot water tank operational on the final walk through. I thought it was a whole new system being used. It has pex connections. If anything changes between now and when I sell this trailer in ten years... I will be sure to add my comments!

ZZZzzzzz without 2AM water pump burping with some air like a constable wanting you to leave a WalMart parking lot.
Old 10-17-2019, 03:46 PM   #53
2 Rivet Member

2017 19' International
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Monrovia , California

Name:	IMG_3149.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	354418I added 18” flexible risers from Shurflo, require a few other connectors. The chucking sound was eliminated, I can still hear the motor but it is a soft continuous noise. Very pleased with the results!
Kay0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 03:53 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
I wanted to add an update on something I found. When I was winterizing and blowing out the lines.....and activated the pump to purge it out....what i found is that it suddenly started to get a LOT quieter with the air at 40 psi on the city inlet....

Normally this would be no big deal, but here's the rub.....from day one on pump only water, the light over the stove would oscillate in time with the pump pushing the water through any given sink etc.....during the purge sequence......I turned the light on......while pump was pumping out.....and quite....light was perfectly normal. JC said the light flashing was normal when I showed him the video.....I was like yeah ok whatever.......but we had bigger fish to fry then to pursue it.

So I'm thinking that there must have been some major air pocket somewhere that was never "pushed" out over the summer.....which I guess why the old days of pipes banging occurred.......and similar here?

So we are not going to do any mods until next year when we restart the system up and try again.......

I don't know if this helps anyone, but clearly something was very different.....and yes....the pump was BARELY audible as some have mentioned in here.
Old 11-09-2019, 09:57 AM   #55
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Bozeman , Montana
Odd

Now that is odd. Shore does verify the ol' saw, "If you live long enough, everything happens to you".
"Its better to light just one candle than to curse the darkness,
Unless you're blinded by the light..."
hshovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 10:08 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
we replaced it with this SILENT model
SHURflo 4008-101-E65 3.0 Revolution Water Pump

got it off amazon
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 07:55 AM   #57
3 Rivet Member

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbar View Post
Now I have to check the pump on our 2019 FC 25' to see if it's a Shur-Flo or not. Guessing it's not 'cause the pump is noisy, cycles between fully on or fully off when faucet is opened slightly for low flow, AND our unit is an FC rather than Int. Seren.
...oh well, just another "upgrade" to put on the list...
My 2017 FC 19' has the Sure Flow pump and to me it is not silent. It makes the familiar chug-chug-chug sound.
Ronyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:19 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by waninae39 View Post
we replaced it with this SILENT model
SHURflo 4008-101-E65 3.0 Revolution Water Pump

got it off amazon
What pump did you have. I have an A65, which I think is the same pump and mine is always noisy. Going to try the hose kit and pipe insulation next week
Old 11-10-2019, 08:20 AM   #59
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
I may try that too. My strainer is on top, are you saying it should be on bottom?
Old 11-11-2019, 06:37 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
this is the schematic on the new water setup.
the changes ensure that the pump goes through the same high flow filter as the ext city connection

the union connector are for winter disconnect
the check value are to ensure water does not cross contaminate

both the water filters and the water pump come out each winter
minimal antifreeze is used, just in traps and the toilet

the pump is SurFlo 4008-101-e65
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	new water setup-v2.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	356060  
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote