Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2014, 02:22 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1980 24' Caravelle
corpus christi , Texas
shower supply lines replacment

The only lines I have left to replace are the supply lines from under the sink to the shower. All new PEX line through out the trailer. It looks like the mixing valve is behind the rear taillight. I don't want to remove the shower so is it possible to get to the valve by removing the taillight and cutting an opening through the inner skin? Has anybody done this?
thehandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 04:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Anything can be done I guess, but I would not advise trying to get access to the shower valve and lines through the tail light assembly. There would be very little room to work on it, and you would have a big hole in the inner wall which would be a perfect leak source.

Your Caravelle is a pretty rare model and I doubt that you will find much experience with it, unless you are lucky. Is it possible to just leave the original copper in place behind the shower? That is what I did on two Argosy's I have re plumbed. Even with the shower fitting close to the edge of the toilet on those rigs, it was hard to get at the plumbing for replacement, so I left small pieces of the original there.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:24 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1980 24' Caravelle
corpus christi , Texas
It has the black plastic lines not copper. I don't trust the plastic fittings had two fail first time it was pressured up. Right now I have installed all new PEX and have put in valves under the sink for the lines going to the shower. And have new lines up to the valves. Spliced the old lines to the new PEX but they must be a different size cannot get them to seal at the connection constant drip under pressure. Right now I only open the valves when using the shower.
thehandyman is offline   Reply With Quote