Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-09-2004, 06:09 AM   #1
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
Shower Regulator or Back Flow Valve

My '82 Limited trailer has a brass valve in the water line just prior the shower hose. It looks to me like it is a back flow valve, but I have seen it referred to in this forum as a presure regulator valve. It has a small ball inside it. In any case, this valve began leaking profusely. I removed it and could not find a crack or any foriegn material lodged inside it that would make it leak, but it did. I screwed the shower hose back into position and everything seems to work without this part. I took the part to my nearest Airstream dealer who happens to be a new dealer with little experience. After contacting the factory, he said the part is no longer available. My question of you more experienced streamers is what was the purpose of this part. Was it to prevent bacteria and other contaminents from entering your water system through the shower head or was it just a presure regulator? Is it something that I should seriously consider for finding a replacement part, or not worry about since the shower itself now works fine.
GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 06:26 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by GStephens
..Was it to prevent bacteria and other contaminents from entering your water system through the shower head or was it just a pressure regulator? Is it something that I should seriously consider for finding a replacement part, or not worry about since the shower itself now works fine.
My vote is back-flow prevention. Specifically, for when the tub is full of water & you leave the shower head immersed in it. I would not worry about it unless you or your other campers fill the tub up.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 11:24 AM   #3
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
Since it is always just my wife and I and since my unit is a center bath with only a shower; unless someone else has a differing view that convinces me otherwise, I think I'll just forget about it. Neither of us uses the shower in the trailer that often and when we do, we don't normally use the wand as a hand held unit. We usually leave it afixed to the wall.

GStephens
Old 06-09-2004, 11:33 AM   #4
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
I wouldn't worry about it either. However you can get brass backflow valves at the hardware store.

They also have PVC ones, but I stuck with brass when I replumed my trailer.

My valve was used just after the city water hookup, not on the shower.

I also put one on the water pump output.
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 04:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
You could..

Quote:
My '82 Limited trailer has a brass valve in the water line just prior the shower hose. It looks to me like it is a back flow valve, but I have seen it referred to in this forum as a pressure regulator valve. It has a small ball inside it. In any case, this valve began leaking profusely. I removed it and could not find a crack or any foreign material lodged inside it that would make it leak, but it did. I screwed the shower hose back into position and everything seems to work without this part. I took the part to my nearest Airstream dealer who happens to be a new dealer with little experience. After contacting the factory, he said the part is no longer available. My question of you more experienced streamers is what was the purpose of this part. Was it to prevent bacteria and other contaminants from entering your water system through the shower head or was it just a pressure regulator? Is it something that I should seriously consider for finding a replacement part, or not worry about since the shower itself now works fine.
GStephens
GStephens,
You could do like the others have recommended or..
If I'm not mistaken, you could rebuild it. Either way..
Some years ago when I was much "greener", I ran into a similar problem with mine and, on the advice of a RV tech..I opt to just take it out of line.
If you should ever decide that you don't want yours..let me know in a PM..
I'll gladly take it off your hands to see if it can be restored..
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 04:30 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Norman , Oklahoma
While reading another thread on this same subject last week, the forum member indicated that the backflow preventer in his case was manufactured by sloan and he gave the part# stamped on the valve. Out of curiosity, I checked with my local plumbing wholesaler about current availability. He indicated that that particular part# was no longer available, however the rebuild kit was still being manufactured and cost less that $10.00.
Old 06-09-2004, 09:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
MW,
If you were refering to my post about the Backflow Valve, I am still desperately looking for that rebuild kit. I found two places via the internet that "can get the kit", but both say it'll be at least two weeks to get one, but I want to have this fixed before leaving for the vacation in two weeks - I'd like to get something sooner to give me some time to install it. If you have a local source, I'd be interested in getting more info. The Valve in question was a Sloan V360A (or V-360-A), and the rebuild kit I need is a Sloan V362A (for 3/8" tubing). The SKU of this it is SO1340, Mfg. No. 5322277. Thanks.

Joe
66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 09:25 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Norman , Oklahoma
Joe,
I will check with the supply house in the morning and get back with you.

Mark
Old 06-09-2004, 10:50 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Since it is always just my wife and I and since my unit is a center bath with only a shower; unless someone else has a differing view that convinces me otherwise, I think I'll just forget about it. Neither of us uses the shower in the trailer that often and when we do, we don't normally use the wand as a hand held unit. We usually leave it afixed to the wall.

GStephens
You still might want to replace it or repair it, you might want to sell your A/S in the future and the new owners will not know about the back-flow preventer. You don't want to be referred to as a PO in a future post on the forum.

LotalaborAZ
upallnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 08:41 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Norman , Oklahoma
Joe,
PM me with your telephone number. I have the supply house checking on availability of the rebuild kit.

Mark
Old 06-10-2004, 08:55 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Norman , Oklahoma
Joe,
The local supply house did not have it in stock, however, I found the kit at Hirsh Pipe and Supply. They have one in stock and can ship directly to you. There number is 800-445-1600. Good luck with the repair.

Mark
Old 06-10-2004, 11:58 AM   #12
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
Thanks UPALLNIGHT for the advice. Now that I know about the rebuild kits from MW64OVERLANDER I intend to phone my local dealer with whom I left the part a few days ago to inquire if he might still have it. I left it with him, so that he could better comunicate with the factory. If he hasn't thrown it away I will repair it. If he has disposed of the part, then I'm thinking I will try and find an alternative part to replace it. I'll be doing this however, because I simply want everything to be as right on this unit as possible. I doubt very seriously that we would ever sell it. We love it. It was in immaculate condition when we got the trailer. The previous owner took exceedingly wonderful care of it providing meticulous maintenance over the years. We have EVERY receipt for every repair he ever made. We even received the original ad to which the previous owner responded along with an "as new" factory brochure listing the features and options of the 1982 models. Still, without adding everything up, I've probably invested another $2300 in the trailer to bring it to its current state mainly because it was in such great shape that it deserved to brought on up to the best state it could be.

After reading recent posts about the fire possibly caused by one forum member's water heater, I'm considering replacement of that appliance. It works beautifully, but it is original. Otherwise, the only things that remain are to possibly replace the door bell chime unit since I have ruled out the button and fuse. All other systems are AOK save this back flow preventer valve. I've replaced the vent covers and sealed all the seams. It has new carpeting with Pergo flooring installed in the galley, a new shower pan from Andy, new drapes and a fresh Walbernize along with a laundry list of other items.

There won't be a NEXT owner of this trailer for many years to come; if ever, but I fully understand your concern having been in that situation in the past with an Argosy that I restored which we had for many years. Come to think of it, I didn't think I'd ever sell that trailer either until we saw and simply fell in love with this one.

Thanks again to everyone. This is a very special group. I may not be making a great number of posts, but I log on and read all current posts virtually EVERY day. I thank you all for your time and wisdom.
GStephens
Old 06-10-2004, 01:26 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
GStephens,
Just to be safe and as a B/U, you could always use a extrenal pressure regulator at the city water. (I hook mine up, first thing, when connecting to city water at a campsite..)
They can be had at any RV store, or even WalMart..COST, less than $10 easy`
Either way..GL
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 06-10-2004, 02:23 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Smile Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!!

Mark,
Thanks so much. I got home from work early today, saw your message, called Hirsh and ordered the rebuild kit. I should have it in plenty of time to get things fixed before leaving for vacation (the WBCCI International Rally).

I see you're a WBCCI member. If you're going to the International, I'll have to look you up and buy you a beverage of your choice.

Joe
Old 06-10-2004, 07:28 PM   #15
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
53FLYINGCLOUD, I routinely use a pressure regulator at the connection to the water source since I have three of them from my previous unit. I have one attached to each of my hoses along with quick disconects on each hose. I use them in spite of the fact that my unit has a built in pressure regulator also, but your advice is sound. I use them to help keep my hoses from bursting or being damaged.
GStephens
Old 06-21-2004, 12:55 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Thanks . . .

Mark (MW64OVERLANDER),
I just wanted to close the loop. I received the Sloan Vacuum Breaker rebuild kit from Hirsh on Friday and installed it on Saturday. It works great. One more item off the list, . . . many, many more to go. But were goin' to the International anyway.

Joe
Old 06-21-2004, 06:34 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Kewl~

Quote:
53FLYINGCLOUD, I routinely use a pressure regulator at the connection to the water source since I have three of them from my previous unit. I have one attached to each of my hoses along with quick disconects on each hose. I use them in spite of the fact that my unit has a built in pressure regulator also, but your advice is sound. I use them to help keep my hoses from bursting or being damaged.
GStephens
Great~!!
Sounds like you've been around the block more than once~!
I figure even tho you & I know it..we never sure if someone else is "reading" this for the first time..they picks up on it and, saves them from having problems..
Good luck`
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 07-08-2004, 09:22 AM   #18
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
I retrieved my part which generated my original question on this thread from the dealer with whom I left it the other day. He had not thrown it away.

With the aid of a magnifying glass, I found that my part has the following stamped into its side. "Watsons Vacuum Breaker 4900 v" I suppose that answers my original question. It is a vacuum breaker.

Does anyone have a source for either a replacement of this vacuum breaker or for a rebuild kit like the one mentioned above for the the Sloan part? What vacuum breakers, if used, are used on newer units?
GStephens
Old 07-08-2004, 09:41 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
You might look at this vendor's offerings. Scroll down to vacuum breakers near the bottom of the page.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 09:56 AM   #20
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
Thanks tcwilliams. Gosh you are fast. My part appears to look just like the volume control part no. 477, but I suppose what I need is the vacuum breaker part no. 4900 that appears just below at the very bottom of the page. In fact, I notice that it has the same 4900 part number on it. Can't tell if it is the same manufacturer, but that doesn't matter to me. Thanks again.

You know this is REALLY something. I found out a solution to my problem here on the forum in less than five minutes that contact with an Airstream dealer and his contact with the factory could not resolve. To me, that speaks volumes. Thanks again tcwilliams and all of the other forum members who stand by ready to help.
GStephens