Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2014, 09:12 AM   #1
Superannuated Member

2001 19' Bambi
Beaver Lake , Arkansas
SharkBite check valve?

So it turns out that the water pressure regulator in the rear storage compartment of my Bambi 19 is the only spot that trapped water and it froze. I'm going to delete the onboard regulator and use a check valve in the trailer and a regulator at the faucet. Has anyone used a SharkBite U2008-0000LF 1/2" check valve? It looks like a good choice but I have read of some valves that leak back or are set to the wrong opening pressure for RV apps. Any experience out there?
Aironius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 10:14 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aironius View Post
So it turns out that the water pressure regulator in the rear storage compartment of my Bambi 19 is the only spot that trapped water and it froze. I'm going to delete the onboard regulator and use a check valve in the trailer and a regulator at the faucet. Has anyone used a SharkBite U2008-0000LF 1/2" check valve? It looks like a good choice but I have read of some valves that leak back or are set to the wrong opening pressure for RV apps. Any experience out there?
Using air, to winterize, at the city water inlet, would have cleared that regulator.

Removing the regulator is not a good idea, since some places have water pressure in excess of 100 psi.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 10:53 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Why are you doing this? Yes the factory regulator is metal and the most likely spot in the trailer to be damaged by freezing.
But if are talking about freezing during winter storage all you to do is make sure you blow the line with air before installing antifreeze. That leg of the system will never drain when draining the trailer so it has to be addressed that way.

I can't comment on the Shark Bite but will comment that those brass barrel type regulators that 90% of people are using are not pressure regulators but rather flow regulators. In fact they don' even do that in a range that would have any effect on a trailer. If you do look for a Pressure Regulator make sure you do not get a flow regulator that is sold as a Regulator. If you can blow air through it it is not a pressure regulator.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 06:15 PM   #4
Superannuated Member

2001 19' Bambi
Beaver Lake , Arkansas
Yes, it looks like air purging would have worked. Everything else is gravity drained. When I went to purchase it I put water in the tank and pressurized the system, but the check valve worked and I didn't catch the leak in the shore water supply. Flooded the storage locker when I hooked it up. I am leaning toward a good external regulator with gauge and less clutter inside the locker but it still needs a check valve where I cut out the old parts, hence the appeal of the SharkBite design. And anyway, the stock plumbing has PEX between the hose connector and the regulator and it runs under the shower pan. On-board regulator doesn't protect that or the supply hose.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:25 AM   #5
Superannuated Member

2001 19' Bambi
Beaver Lake , Arkansas
the answer?

Update: I have located a technical document from Sharkbite that lists the "cracking pressure" of the valve in question as 2psi. That sounds like the answer to my question, I'm going to use a U2008-0000LF to isolate the freshwater system. Whether I use an on board or external pressure regulator remains to be decided. An on board regulator seems fool proof, but PO died and wife did not know to air purge system. My previous RVs all used external regulators and never had a problem. Seems like there are pros and cons either way.
Old 11-08-2014, 02:40 PM   #6
Superannuated Member

2001 19' Bambi
Beaver Lake , Arkansas
Here is the final result, Sharkbite check valve and coupler with a short piece of new PEX to replace the regulator and original check valve. Also a pic of the regulator with the ruptured bottom plug. I'm going to use a real diaphragm type regulator with pressure gauge and put it at the faucet to protect my supply hose and everything. And there is less clutter in the storage locker.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1862.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	319.9 KB
ID:	226012   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1855.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	259.7 KB
ID:	226013