Old 08-01-2008, 09:54 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
Currently Looking...
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Originally Posted by MTsafari View Post
Hi Lew,

I need to recheck my plumbing system, and your air check method will be ideal.

I recently had a water system check on my 23 ft '70 Safari at a local RV dealer. I was told that there were a couple of easy to fix leaks and a new hot water heater was needed. After installation of the water heater they charged up the system and are now saying numerous leaks are appearing ($1200 worth).

In your opinion, would the leaks have been apparent even without the installation of a new water heater? Seems like the RV dealer would have had a better way to test for leaks before beginning the installation of new parts. Or would the leaks not have appeared without on operable water heater?

$1200 is a whole lotta leaks!!! I could probably re-plumb your entire water system for that!!!

I would think that leaks of that magnitude would have presented themselves on the first inspection. Usually, if there is any question of leaks, the air leak-down method is used to find the problem areas. I would be suspicious!!!

Lew Farber...RVIA Certified Master Tech...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:13 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member
1970 23' Safari
Columbia Falls , Montana
Yeah, my eyes bugged out when I heard the cost, especially when I thought I was going to pick up my silver spud in working order. Now I'm the proud owner of a new hot water heater, but no use of the hot water....

I took it to a very reputable RV dealer, so I thought. Lessons learned. Now I'm going to be learning some lessons in plumbing leak repair, certainly not my area of expertise, so you may hear from me again.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

MTsafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:24 PM   #17
Rivet Master
2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I used multiple sharkbite fittings in my '72 GT, with coiled pex, and a couple of transitions from copper to pex. No leaks.
Boatdoc, it's a bummer you had so many, and that it happened in such a public way. Good luck with it.
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:32 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member
1978 Argosy 24
1977 Argosy 28
Vintage Kin Owner
Darrington , Washington
MTSafari, the leaks should have been apparent before the installation of a new water heater. The water heater actually functions as a large pipe in the middle of your system. If the system's continuity was complete ( every valve open , etc.) any leaks would have been found assuming they used the same pressure on the first test as the last.
I wonder if the original test pressure was lower or they had a valve closed somewhere in the sytem then opened it later. Possible the hot water shut off valve? Seems like the RV place screwed up $1200 worth for you. Frankly make them a proposition, you will pay for the material to fix the system maybe ($200)and they absorb the labor($1,000). If not, go to small claims court for their error.
buffaloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:35 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member
1978 Argosy 24
1977 Argosy 28
Vintage Kin Owner
Darrington , Washington
the RV dealer screwed up. $1,200 can replace the entire system.
buffaloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 07:00 AM   #20
Rivet Master
1967 26' Overlander
Upperco , Maryland
Not to ask a silly question, but why not stay with copper plant? I realize the PEX has a number of advantages including a bit of flexibility but this is not the first horror story I've heard about fittings.

hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote