Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2015, 08:59 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Madison , Officially SD but are traveling full time.
Self filling fresh water tank

We have renovated a 1976 Ambassador. I replaced the water pump (Sureflo with another Sureflo) one year ago. Other than its demise after 8 years of full timing, we did not have any problems with the first Sureflo. This past six months we have noticed that our on board fresh water tank fills on its own. The second Sureflo pump works fine but several times when the water tank becomes over full it begins to drip water from the bottom of the tank enclosure. My concern is that the tank enclosure will rust out.

Our solution thus far has been to turn off the shore water supply and use the pump but that requires me to be attentive to a process that should not exist. My guess is that the water from the shore supply is leaking past the pump but I do not have a lot of confidence in that theory. Just checking to see if anyone else has had a similar experience and what was done to stop the fresh water tank from filling on its own.
Eagle & Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 09:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Your theory is correct.
Check valve in the pump is leaking allowing water to slowly fill your fresh water tank. Probably has some dirt in it or it's just not seating right.
Best way to prevent this is to put a ball valve on the outlet if the pump. Keep it closed when you have fw hookup and aren't using the pump. Very easy if you've switched to pex, not terrible either way.
This shouldn't cause water to drip from the tank pan though, water should come back up the fw fill inlet which is also the vent for the fw tank. Possible that your fw tank has a leak in its top, allowing path for water to escape and drain into the pan.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote