Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-28-2015, 06:13 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

charleston , West Virginia
seeping type leak on fresh water tank '77 Overlander

Hey there! I have a 77 overlander and during my interior renovation efforts, I have uncovered a seeping type of leak where the fill connection meets the fw tank. Is there a way that I can just drain the tank down and then use some sort of plastic weld or silicone sealant to repair it? Anyone have any experience doing something like this? Thanks as always for the assistance!
vcsnover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 05:43 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 24
MooreHaven , Florida
If its a polyethylene tank as most are your options are limited,hardly anything will stick to it.I did alot of reading on the subject and eventually found a loctite product at the local ace hardware that is made specifically for polyethylene and other hard to glue plastics,it is a 2 step system first step is a sort of felt tip pen that applies the primer second is a liquid in a very small tube that is the actual glue.I cut a small piece from a coffee container and glued it over the pin hole leak that i had.
The other option is plastic welding,lot of instruction on that subject on U-Tube.
Having spent many years in the boat repair business i thought 3M 5200 would stick to anything so i tried it in a different spot,let it cure for 7days as the instructions said and seven days later it peeled off with very little effort.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
I don't know if you can gain access to the fitting on the tank in order to rough up the surfaces, but this might work for you.
I did a “temporary” fix on a polyethylene laundry tube 15 years ago using Permatex Ultra-Blue sealant. It's now a permanent fix.
Gasket Makers : Permatex® Ultra Blue® Multipurpose RTV Silicone Gasket Maker
This is not the typical clear houshold silicone we warn about in the numerous threads on sealers. We use this in the shop for all types of metal to metal gasketing and if there is even a minimal amount of “tooth” it sticks to nearly everything extremely well.
I have used this on my trailers for years on vent pipes, rear bath “p” traps and many other repairs with very good results.

Good Luck
Tom

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Look for a product called LEXELL. I swear this stuff will stick to water. Rough up the area if you can then apply as you would any caulking. Since there is really no head pressure where the leak is. I think it will be fine.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 01:32 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

charleston , West Virginia
Thanks for the advice everyone! I really appreciate the responses... I will let you know how it turns out.
vcsnover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 07:57 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Very interesting, we bought a 59 trade wind and the fresh water tank is broken in a corner and I think that will be really difficult to repair, where can I found a new one?
ManuelLopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Not sure of the exact layout on the '59. I think they have a front filler neck.
If its like my '67 the water tank is under the front couch.
If so, here's a link to Vintage Trailer Supply's selection of tanks. One should suit your needs.
Vintage Trailer Tanks: Fresh, Gray and Black

Tom

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote